Prespective

This afternoon (7/27) our high growth stocks are off anywhere from 1.5% to 6%.

Even so, thus far, I’m up nicely for the month.

Odds are its not the beginning of a bear.

Keep it in perspective.

One thing I learned from Saul is that sometimes on days like today he nibbles on his favorites that are most impacted.

Think I’ll go fishing.

Kindest Regards,
Steve

4 Likes

One thing I learned from Saul is that sometimes on days like today he nibbles on his favorites that are most impacted.

Think I’ll go fishing.

How does that make any sense whatsoever when one’s portfolio is up 50%…that a mere 5% drop makes for an opportune time to nibble?

I just don’t see how a day like today, from the perspective of many stocks with P/S over 15-20…that 5% drop in stock price changes anything.

10 Likes

5% to 10% drops in averages like SP 500 happen most years. And if averages drop 5 % you can bet that most of Saul’s picks will drop even more.

These drops are meaningless until you get to the one where the 10% drop extends into a 20% or 25% or more drop. Are we there ? Maybe, but the odds say we are not.

If you can not take this kind of volatility you really should be investing somewhere else, not the stock market.

2 Likes

Think I’ll go fishing.

How does that make any sense whatsoever when one’s portfolio is up 50%…that a mere 5% drop makes for an opportune time to nibble?

I just don’t see how a day like today, from the perspective of many stocks with P/S over 15-20…that 5% drop in stock price changes anything.

That is why this is called Saul’s investing discussions instead of dumaflotchie’s investing discussions. You need to read Saul’s knowledgebase on the right hand side. It will make you a better investor.

Andy

12 Likes

Think I’ll go fishing.

For years and years the bulk of my investing assets were in index funds. With a small portion I would buy individual stocks and try my best to out preform the index. Never could. That’s what brought me to the Motley Fool. But even then for every good stock I would buy I would buy a story stock, so still no out performance. A little over three years ago I found Saul’s board. Read it almost everyday. Guess what, the last two years I have out preformed the index by a large margin. So today I sold a little more of my index ETF and deployed those funds to TWLO, PVTL, and NTNX. Was that an unwise move? Well today no one really knows. Time will tell. If you factor in lost opportunity cost it makes it an even harder call. Everyone needs to make their own decisions, for me I’ll keep doing whats working.

Kindest Regards,
Steve

13 Likes