Private equity owning mobile home parks

All METARs are aware of the increase in the price of housing all over the country.

Many people who can’t afford to buy a home live in mobile home parks. They own the mobile home (which is not really mobile since it would cost a lot to move it) and rent the land for a modest amount. This has been a stable system where local land owners maintained the mobile home park (kind of a mini-community). A friend of mine and her handyman husband inherited a mobile home park from her father. It’s a win-win situation since many of the tenants are poor and/or elderly, on a fixed income. The landlord makes a living and maintains the property while the tenants have a stable, affordable place to live.

That is changing as private equity is buying up mobile home parks and jacking up the rents, while neglecting maintenance.

https://apnews.com/article/mobile-home-parks-rent-investors-…

**Rents spike as big-pocketed investors buy mobile home parks**
**By MICHAEL CASEY and CAROLYN THOMPSON, Associated Press, July 25, 2022**

**....**

**The plight of residents at Ridgeview [dramatically rising rent and neglected maintenance] is playing out nationwide as institutional investors, led by private equity firms and real estate investment trusts and sometimes funded by pension funds, swoop in to buy mobile home parks. Critics contend mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are fueling the problem by backing a growing number of investor loans.**

**The purchases are putting residents in a bind, since most mobile homes — despite the name — cannot be moved easily or cheaply. Owners are forced to either accept unaffordable rent increases, spend thousands of dollars to move their home, or abandon it and lose tens of thousands of dollars they invested. ...**

**Driven by some of the strongest returns in real estate, investors have shaken up a once-sleepy sector that’s home to more than 22 million mostly low-income Americans in 43,000 communities....parks containing about a fifth of mobile home lots nationwide have been purchased by institutional investors over the past eight years. ...** [end quote]

This is similar to the way that private equity is buying many private homes for cash, jacking up the prices so families can’t afford to buy. Except in the case of the mobile home parks, the private equity firms are financed by GSEs meant to make housing more affordable for ordinary people.

This is a trend which is very harmful on the inividual level as helpless people are wrung dry. It’s also harmful on a Macro level because people who are spending more on housing have less to spend on consumer goods and services which would stimulate the economy.

I HATE PRIVATE EQUITY!! THEY DO SO MUCH HARM IN SO MANY WAYS!!

Wendy

7 Likes

As I travel locally, through central TX smaller, rural communities, I’m seeing hand printed signs: “We Buy Mobile Homes”.
There are mobile home parks that are more like dilapidated, unmaintained "neighborhoods.
I see many mobile homes and “double wides” around rural TX.

The signs imply to me that “investors” are buying the mobile homes as investment properties.

:alien:
ralph

Not a new problem. 20 years ago the Canadian snow bird couple we always saw while camping in Baja were complaining that their mobile home park had been bought out and the rent was being raised considerably. Problem with mobile homes is that they aren’t very mobile so the space renters are captive. Many owners are on a fixed income so rent raises are to be feared.

Smart. So many businesses love saying “we’re going upmarket”.

When America, is not headed that way. Quite the opposite actually.

I used to get 1 or 2 phone calls a year seeing if I was interested in selling my park. Over the past 5 I’m getting 1 or 2 calls a quarter. They would have to make an insane offer for it to be worth selling to be able to buy something else to make the same income.

The only time I raise rent is after someone moves out and the trailer gets fixed up. That may change after seeing how bad inflation effects maintenance costs.

JLC

2 Likes

I used to get 1 or 2 phone calls a year seeing if I was interested in selling my park.

I’ve been getting about a call a month seeing if I’m interested in selling my mobile home IN a park.

Which, incidentally, I sold in 2011.

I’ve been getting about a call a month seeing if I’m interested in selling my mobile home IN a park.
Which, incidentally, I sold in 2011.

They’ve obviously got a bad database :wink:

'38Packard