Profile of the new American consumer

According to the latest figures published by the Commerce Department, consumer retail sales logged their biggest increase in a year last April. That’s great news for the economy as consumer spending accounts for over 2/3 of the GDP.

Looking at last weeks earnings reports, however, it became clear these consumers weren’t shopping at Macy’s, Kohl’s or Nordstrom’s. The assumption now being - these people moved their apparel shopping to Amazon. However it was understood that Amazon does not sell well with home improvement goods, and as expected Home Depot and Lowes both reported earning beats. So with that composite, we’re coming to understand Amazon is the preference for one portion of consumer retail space with home improvement brick and mortar’s taking care of the other.

That sounded great - I can get that model in my head. But wait a moment, not so fast. The Children’s Place reported a smashing quarter yesterday. And tonight, two more brick and mortar retailers just surprised Wall Street. American Eagle Outfitters and Urban Outfitters. I must say I didn’t see that coming.

What are these speciality retailer’s doing that the big department retailer’s aren’t? I think if we answer that question we’ll get an even firmer grasp of the new American consumer, and we’ll know which companies have the potential to cater to an evolving new profile.

I have some theories and observations. The main one being: our bigger ticket spending generation is shifting from Gen-X’ers to Millenials. Gen-X’ers grew up in large homogenous retail shopping malls to hang out with their friends. Millennials are growing up with social media and iPhones. They favor experiences, personalization and ease of use. They dislike giant multi-national, faceless corporate-like entities that can’t deliver on the first three (with exception for Apple, Facebook, Amazon and others who have figured this out already). They will sooner buy something through crowd-funding, just to see the idea come to market, than to settle on something from that big faceless corporate entity. They prefer to be part of the decision making process: It was brought to market because it was chosen.

Personalization. Social. Friction-less. Experiences. I’m sure there are others that help to paint the composite.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, and hopefully use that information to help navigate through to a selection of companies that stand to deliver to our next generation’s needs. After all, in the world of capitalism it’s evolve or die.

Best,
–Kevin

37 Likes

Kevin, Urbn may have surprised Wall Street, but I am not impressed rev up a few percent depending on the line, and declining net income. http://investor.urbn.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=115825&p=irol-n…
That may be better than some but it is not looking good. I am not sure that they did surprise Wall Street though, Fidelity shows the consensus earning of exactly the .25/share reported. The same .25 they reported this quarter last year. It is a difficult environment to be sure.

I look at the HGTV shows about tiny homes and wonder if it is a fad or a long term trend. And the success of “the life changing magic of tidying up” http://www.amazon.com/Life-Changing-Magic-Tidying-Declutteri…. It does not bode well for retailers.

Resturants are holding up but other retail… I think you ask a good question. Travel is an experience, maybe that will rebound, but another plane is missing today… Important question but hard.

3 Likes

When money is tight shoppers go in search of value. Of course the changes in lifestyles influence shopping very strongly but one thing remains constant, “When money is tight shoppers go in search of value.”

The mistake I see people make when thinking about retail is to think that it is one undifferentiated blob. Just as Amazon has not disrupted Home Depot and Lowe’s, Amazon has not disrupted off-price retail. On Tuesday TJX Companies reported great earnings and I expect Ross Stores to report at least as good if not better results today after the market closes. While lots of retailers try to sell online, Ross Stores lures shoppers into the stores and they don’t sell online at all.

The TJX Companies, Inc. Reports Above-Plan Q1 FY17 Results with 7% Comp Sales Growth and 10% Increase in Earnings Per Share; Raises Full Year EPS and Comp Guidance
Business Wire The TJX Companies, Inc.
May 17, 2016 8:35 AM
???
FRAMINGHAM, Mass.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–

The TJX Companies, Inc. (TJX), the leading off-price retailer of apparel and home fashions in the U.S. and worldwide, today announced sales and earnings results for the first quarter ended April 30, 2016. Net sales for the first quarter of Fiscal 2017 increased 10% to $7.5 billion and consolidated comparable store sales increased 7% over last year’s 5% increase. Net income for the first quarter was $508 million and diluted earnings per share were $.76, a 10% increase over the prior year’s $.69.

Ernie Herrman, Chief Executive Officer and President of The TJX Companies, Inc., stated, “It is great to start 2016 with such a strong quarter! Our momentum continued with a consolidated comparable store sales increase of 7% over 5% growth last year, and earnings per share increased 10%. We are particularly pleased with our very strong customer traffic, which drove the comp increases at every division. This tells us that our strategies to bring consumers exciting values on an eclectic and ever-changing mix of the right fashions and brands, sourced from across the globe, are working. We are confident that we are growing our customer base and gaining market share. With our excellent first quarter results, we are raising our full year earnings per share and comp sales guidance, and the second quarter is off to a solid start. We see many opportunities in the U.S. and internationally for continued successful growth. We are extremely focused on achieving our goals for 2016 and motivated to surpass them. TJX has an exciting future ahead, and we have a strategic long-term vision to grow to be a $40 billion company and beyond!”

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tjx-companies-inc-reports-abov…

Is this a flash in the pan or sustainable?

TJX 25 years: http://invest.kleinnet.com/bmw1/stats25/TJX.html
Average CAGR 19.8%

ROST 25 years: http://invest.kleinnet.com/bmw1/stats25/ROST.html
Average CAGR 22.6%
Declared dividend, unchanged $0.135

Ross Stores Announces Quarterly Dividend
PR Newswire Ross Stores, Inc.
13 hours ago
???
DUBLIN, Calif., May 18, 2016 /PRNewswire/ – Ross Stores, Inc. (ROST) announced today that the Company’s Board of Directors declared a regular quarterly cash dividend of $.135 per common share, payable on June 30, 2016 to stockholders of record as of June 7, 2016.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ross-stores-announces-quarterl…

You might also look into the dollar stores (which I’m not currently following). They are more difficult possibly because they sell to an even more constrained economic audience. I didn’t do too well with FDO (CAGR 6.9%) and they were bought out.

One theme that is going through retail is the death of the shopping mall, a theme that is over a decade old. It’s the mall anchor department stores that are doing badly. Urban Outfitters started migrating back to urban stores a few years ago and they are doing well. You have to be where the shoppers are. Walmart is a different story, they just grew too big with nowhere to grow more and, of course, Chinese merchandise is not as cheap as it used to be with rising wages in China.

Important caveat: Nassim Nicholas Taleb of black swan fame wrote in one of his books that often we don’t know the facts but we still make up stories to fit the historical events. Maybe all you have read in this thread are the retail stories made up be the various authors (me included). :wink:

Denny Schlesinger
Long ROST

8 Likes

Talking about off-price:

However, “cheap chic” players like H&M and Forever 21 are faring much better with cheaper price tags, warmly received styles, and briskly rotated designs. Last year, H&M’s sales rose 19% annually to 210 billion Swedish krona ($25.4 billion) as after-tax profit rose 4.5% to a record high of 20.9 billion krona ($2.5 billion). Forever 21 is privately held, but the company’s revenue reportedly rose 16% to $4.4 billion in 2015.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/05/19/3-things-to…

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, and hopefully use that information to help navigate through to a selection of companies that stand to deliver to our next generation’s needs. After all, in the world of capitalism it’s evolve or die.

Those great companies to invest in are front and center in your post. AMZN, FB, AAPL and GOOG. A portfolio with this core holdings will do better than Saul’s portfolio going forward. Dominant “category killers” that are impossible to compete with.

2 Likes

AMZN, FB, AAPL and GOOG. A portfolio with this core holdings will do better than Saul’s portfolio going forward.

So you’re telling me I can buy those 4 stocks and earn an average return better than 30% compounded over a 25 year time horizon (I believe that’s what Saul has done, right)? We all wish it were that easy!

1 Like

I think the value of owning stuff is definitely declining for all generations, those saving for retirement, near retirement, and even just starting out in life. Only extremely practical, fun, useful stuff is what I see being bought in the future.

LovePeace

4 Likes

Only extremely practical, fun, useful stuff is what I see being bought in the future.

Such as a good, quality, comfortable pair of shoes?

I think you’re on to something LovePeace :slight_smile:

Best,
–Kevin

5 Likes

So you’re telling me I can buy those 4 stocks and earn an average return better than 30% compounded over a 25 year time horizon (I believe that’s what Saul has done, right)? We all wish it were that easy!

No. What I am telling you is that it will do better than the current Saul portfolio. His best stock right now is AMZN. Paradoxically, this is the one holding that does not fit his system and he keeps apologizing for…

6 Likes

You’re on to me Kevin!

LP

His best stock right now is AMZN. Paradoxically, this is the one holding that does not fit his system and he keeps apologizing for…

I normally enjoy your posts, dovbgood, and if I recall there is generally a bearish tint to them. I like that. I enjoy the bearish comments on this board and on any stock I own.

But, your last several posts seem a bit too confident as if to suggest you know what the future holds. I know you don’t feel that way, but let’s reel things in and talk about specific companies and their advantages and disadvantages. General prognostications are generally wrong.

I don’t mean this to belittle your thoughts. I want to hear them. I’m no stock picking mastermind after looking at my YTD Returns (or lack thereof) today.

Regarding AMZN, Saul doesn’t have to defend himself. I’m not sure he’s ever said, “I’m sorry I picked AMZN in my own portfolio.” If you think it doesn’t fit, that is fine. I don’t think it fits with his general modus operandi either. But do I care? No.

AMZN, FB & GOOG are certainly great companies and definitely in favor right now. One would do well investing in them along with AAPL which isn’t doing well right now (see lack of returns). They will take longer to double and triple and quadruple than other stocks discussed here. Of course, those stocks may carry higher risk.

Finally, looking at Saul’s returns, albeit great, there is still lumpiness. Things don’t go up in a straight line.

Take care,
A.J.

13 Likes

It is natural for private investors and long-only asset-gatherers (including TMF) to be optimistic. But such optimism is without interest unless it precisely confronts the key themes of pessimists and does so cogently.

I take these to be global inter-connectedness and the inevitability of recession in relation to: the downside to valuation ratios; the impotence of central bankers; a 3:1 ratio of world debt to world GDP (with special reference to China where the build-up of debt is now completely out of control); scepticism about, and the severe weakening of capitalism.

I could add the narrowing of sectors to invest in. Retail? Amazon is taking over; what now is safe? Banks? You never know what’s on the balance sheet until they go bust. Sugary drinks? Semi-conductors?

Hmmm.

We are here for good reason. Flexibility and opportunism are the only games in town. About them, I am optimistic. Elsewhere, I am long cash; paying the opportunity-cost insurance premium if not with pleasure, then with resignation.

11 Likes