Rather astounding positive Zoom press release

https://investors.zoom.us/news-releases/news-release-details…

If anyone wonders whether Zoom is running out of TAM, here’s the beginning of the press release.
Saul

Zoom … today announces that Cole, Scott & Kissane (CSK), the largest law firm in Florida with more than 500 attorneys in 13 offices, has standardized on Zoom’s video-first unified communications platform. CSK attributes its ability to weather the COVID-19 pandemic without layoffs or pay cuts to its use of Zoom.

Since March, CSK has used Zoom daily to conduct legal proceedings including depositions, hearings, and mediations. In April, the firm participated in the very first Zoom oral argument in Florida, hosted by the Fourth District Court of Appeal (DCA). Subsequently, CSK also participated in oral arguments in Florida’s Third DCA and First DCA. Last week, on July 13, CSK became the first law firm in Florida to do a virtual trial by jury. Additionally, during the coronavirus pandemic, CSK utilized Zoom Video Webinars to host client marketing and training events with more than a thousand attendees. CSK was even able to continue hiring during the pandemic, interviewing applicants over Zoom.

52 Likes

And here’s a Zoom Blog directed at Law Firms

https://blog.zoom.us/zoom-virtual-law-firm-virtual-courtroom…

They ended it with “Don’t Forget to Share this Blog” so I feel okay with posting the whole thing. Linking to it gives you some good pictures though.

Zoom Court Is Now In Session: How the Legal World Has Pivoted to Virtual During COVID-19
July 23, 2020

Zoom Court Is Now In Session: How the Legal World Has Pivoted to Virtual During COVID-19
Legal proceedings around the country have looked very different amid widespread social distancing and stay-at-home mandates during COVID-19. The Illinois Supreme Court, for instance, held oral arguments over Zoom for the first time ever. Miami-Dade traffic court returned over Zoom after a two-month hiatus. Court system interpreters in Wisconsin have found Zoom’s simultaneous interpretation capabilities extremely helpful for remote proceedings.

Illinois Supreme Court via Zoom [picture]

Law firms have also had to pivot to serve their clients and fulfill their legal obligations. Florida’s largest law firm, Cole, Scott & Kissane (CSK), transitioned into more of a virtual law firm as it recently standardized on Zoom’s video-first unified communications platform. CSK uses Zoom daily for pre-depositions, depositions, mediations, and other legal proceedings.

CSK was also the first law firm in the state to participate in a virtual trial by jury over Zoom. Additionally, the firm, with 500 attorneys in 13 offices, said it avoided COVID-related layoffs and pay cuts because of Zoom.

“Zoom has been an essential part of keeping our business running,” said Jason Thomas, Chief Information Officer for CSK. “We needed to quickly pivot and change the way we work, and Zoom fit our need for an intuitive and secure solution that our attorneys could start using right away.”

Kansas Supreme Court via Zoom [picture]

Using Zoom for your virtual law firm

Just how essential has Zoom been for CSK during the pandemic? Critically, according to Thomas. The firm has relied on the Zoom platform for:

Business continuity, participating in the first Zoom oral argument in Florida back in April, hosted by the Fourth District Court of Appeals (DCA), Third DCA, and the First DCA

Marketing and training, hosting client marketing and training events with more than a thousand attendees using Zoom Video Webinars

Workforce expansion, using Zoom to interview applicants virtually and continue hiring during the pandemic

Thomas said that security and ease of use were two of the main reasons why CSK turned to Zoom to power its virtual law office.

“Zoom has the most robust security features out of any platform that we’ve used, and our users found it much easier than our legacy system,” he said. “Adoption and usage just skyrocketed.”

Additional benefits: Workplace efficiency & community outreach

The overall efficiency of virtual legal collaboration is another benefit of Zoom, according to Australia-based Colin Biggers & Paisley, who used Zoom even before COVID-19 to connect global legal teams and serve clients more effectively.

With clients spanning multiple practice areas, Colin Biggers & Paisley uses Zoom to simultaneously connect clients and its global legal experts, enabling separate legal teams to collaborate on projects using Zoom’s real-time document sharing and annotation.

North Carolina Central University (NCCU) School of Law powers its virtual classrooms and delivers top-tier virtual legal education over Zoom. The platform has been critical for not only improving the education of NCCU law students but also providing educational opportunities in the communities that need them most.

“We use Zoom to solve problems and to extend the knowledge base and resources we have here at NCCU to other places,” said Greg Clinton, Director of Information Technology and Facilities at the NCCU School of Law. “It has become a natural part of what we do.”

To learn more about how law firms can leverage Zoom, sign up for a personalized demo today.

Don’t forget to share this post

31 Likes

My wife and I are both attorneys. She is in a smaller firm (+/-) 20 attorneys, and uses zoom several times a day, both for mediation and client meetings. The state courts, in which she works, have been somewhat less ready to adopt to remote testimony, but courts are often slow to respond to technology.

I have my own office, and most of my appearances are in federal courts. I have had many zoom hearings,and there is little doubt that it is currently the venue of choice. I can imagine few customers, more reliable for zoom, than the federal courts and the parties debating therein (OKTA is a good example, we started using its services for electronic discovery several years ago).

Another available market within the legal industry is continuing legal education. Our state has suspended the requirement for in person continuing legal education, and nearly every attorney I know is fulfilling the requirement via zoom. These are, of course, significantly longer than the free zoom meetings, so it should generate a number of paid customers.

-Sean

30 Likes

Good ideas and success spread like wildfire through the legal community when they get endorsements like that - and they STICK.

My company uses a number of different law firms for e-discovery. Many of them are stuck with legacy vendors on old expensive software who is just killing them price wise - but, they are not early adopters because there’s a big moat in the “devil you know” mindset. I have signed up with a new, modernized cloud platform that uses leading edge analytics tools and an extremely simple and scalable pricing model.

If big law firms like this see an economic benefit from first movers like this FlA company leading the way - and there’s HUGE money to be made off these law firms. Something like Zoom is a rounding error to them.

7 Likes