Retraining the immune system 4 allergies

Allergies are a large part of healthcare costs, both directly and in lost productivity. .

A revolutionary treatment for allergies to peanuts and other foods is going mainstream—but do the benefits outweigh the risks?
Eating small but increasing doses of peanuts seems to protect children with peanut allergies, but the therapy comes with risks and unknowns
https://www.science.org/content/article/revolutionary-treatm…

This 2018 article describes the attempt to retrain the immune system to be more tolerant of “allergens”.

Allergens are the foreign particle to which the immune system responds, either excessively, inappropriately, or both.

Food allergies typically involve an allergen that is NOT toxic to the body, but the allergic response (inappropriate and or excessive immune response) can be fatal.
In general, mast cells release histamine which can reult in systemic edema which causes loss of blood pressure and loss of O2 delivery to the brain, heart, etc.

The described treatment involves some risks.
The patient is receiving a molecule to which his immune system might respond in a way that could kill him.

To do this, the practitioners keep the patient in a controlled environment with “emergency” treatment readily available.

As Jacob sat through the hourslong appointment in Cincinnati, playing video games and swigging increasing doses of peanut-spiked Kool-Aid, he joined legions of children writing food allergy’s next chapter.

Snip

Wasserman ventured into food allergy immunotherapy 11 years ago. He developed a protocol based partly on published case reports and protocols for allergy shots, and he put IVs into his first five peanut allergy patients in case he had only seconds to rescue them from severe anaphylaxis. "

This process could also be used by folks who fear vaccine allergies, but want to receive a vax, and or boosters.

TMF covered Aimmune Therapeutics (AIMT) in Sept 2020.
Why Aimmune Therapeutics Stock Jumped by 159% in August
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/09/08/why-aimmune-therap…

The biopharma’s shares took flight last month after the announcement of a $2.6 billion merger agreement with multinational food and drink giant Nestle’s (NSRGY -2.11%) health science division.

So, food giant, Nestle, now controls the research?

Some practitioners are offering treatment, without “official sanction”.
Meanwhile, some doctors embrace another route: offering peanut immunotherapy in their practices. “I can treat 20 patients with $5.95 of peanut flour,” says Richard L. Wasserman, a pediatric allergist-immunologist in Dallas, Texas.

Wasserman has since treated more than 300 children with peanut allergies and more than 400 with other food allergies. Other practitioners are joining in,

The JCs aren’t happy:
Some clinicians—and executives at the companies developing products—aren’t happy about the doctor’s office treatments. “That gives a lot of us pause,” says Sampson, who in addition to his academic post is chief scientific officer of DBV.
DBV is a private company DBV Technologies, based in Montrouge, France, and New York City,

Aimmune Therapeutics/Nestle and DBV are developing treatment programs for retraining the immune system.

They don’t want competition from rogue clinics using $5 worth of peanut butter…

:alien:
ralph

2 Likes

Ralph,

Thanks for this! Our DD has a dairy allergy. Not sure how she acquired it, but the past few years she breaks out in hives pretty badly when she consumes anything dairy. This is obviously a PITA for her, but she lives with it. (Of course, this may have come from eating NYC bagels with a nice thick “schmear” of cream cheese - which she consumed daily while in college there.)

This looks like promising research with what looks like acceptable outcomes. I sent her the link.

Thanks a lot!!
'38Packard

1 Like

This is nothing new.

I have developed a number of new allergies over the past 50+ yrs. A wide variety of things to which I was NOT allergic 50+ yrs ago.

I began the de-sensitivation treatment in late Summer 2018 and will complete it the end of this Oct (2022). The described peanut-allergy treatment (in the first post) follows the same general procedure as the medical procedure. Start by introducing a tiny amount of allergen and then increase the dosage over time to build up tolerance to higher dosages.

I deliberately made sure to be exposed more frequently to higher dosages of my allergens in order to build up a better handling of them when treatment eventually stopped. I had developed good response after the second year, so the highest dosage was maximized further than usual–and I got the new maximum highest-dose shots every three weeks rather than the usual four weeks. I could have gotten shots as often as every two weeks, but decided to see what happened with the three-week schedule first. The three-week schedule is 4-5 extra high-dose exposures than most people on the treatment get per year, and it appears to have worked (for me, anyway). I have few significant allergic responses year-round other than an occasional stuffy nose or sneezing compared to the pre-2018 reactions.

1 Like

Not sure how she acquired it, but the past few years she breaks out in hives pretty badly when she consumes anything dairy.

38Packard, FWIW I find that when I start having eczema reactions to dairy, I take probiotics for a while and it goes away. Your (daughter’s) mileage may vary, but it’s worth a try.

IP

2 Likes

I am reading (slowly, not a page turner) Super Gut by William Davis. He delves deep into the latest science on the gut biome.

There seems to be a whole lotta stuff that can be healed with a decent gut biome. Unfortunately a healthy gut biome is made the simple way. Eat real food. Eat your vegetables, get your sleep, control your stress.

Of course the simple way is the hard way. Meaning no fast food, no processed food, no alcohol, no snacking, getting up early and getting low angle sun light.

You know all the stuff you were taught to do.

Cheers
Qazulight

2 Likes

You know all the stuff you were taught to do.

You can get a poop transplant!

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&client=safari&…

The Captain

1 Like

Research adds one more item to the list: eat as large a variety of smaller portions of different plant food as you reasonably can every day. Evidence is now good and growing stronger that your gut biome loves chowing down on as diverse a smorgasbord as you can reasonably (don’t stress about it) do.

A “whole mess of mixed greens” is much better for most of us than just a kale and cheese salad, etc…

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-southern-greens-and-biscuit…

And mixed greens are staggeringly yummy! (Don’t go overboard with the biscuits, and truth is that all manner of much healthier breads and carbo foods are better, but each month or so i do a very traditional huge mess of greens with fluffy white flour biscuits, and my health freak friends beat a path to my door.

david fb

1 Like