Rising homeowner's insurance

I posted last week after learning that my homeowner’s insurance will cost 19% more this year. The insurer sent a letter saying that the reason was that Washington State no longer allows insurance companies to charge based on credit score. My credit score of 835 is now diluted by hordes of low scores.

That doesn’t include actual insurance hazards, since our western Washington climate is mild and hardly ever has serious storms. But many other retirees are impacted.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/04/business/retirement-clima…

**Extreme Weather and Rising Insurance Rates Squeeze Retirees**

**Homeowners’ insurance in high-risk states is becoming prohibitively expensive for older Americans who want to keep their homes.**

**By Martha C. White, The New York Times, Feb. 4, 2022**

**...**
**While Florida residents are not the only ones wrestling with rising homeowner's insurance prices, the state’s popularity with retirees means that it is a problem a growing number will confront, experts say. When drawing up a budget for living on a fixed income, most would-be retirees think about services and goods, such as doctor visits or prescription drugs, that are likely to cost more in the future. Almost no one thinks of home insurance — an omission insurance professionals warn will be an increasingly costly mistake.**

**Many Americans’ plans to retire in a coastal Sunbelt state or a scenic mountain hamlet are on a collision course with extreme weather — and the property damage that follows....**

**After absorbing punishing losses from floods, hurricanes and wildfires in recent years, many insurers are re-evaluating their risk modeling practices. The upshot for many homeowners is higher property insurance bills. Others can find themselves struggling to get a policy at any price....** [end quote]

Rising property insurance costs — particularly when combined with higher property taxes in areas where home values have risen significantly — are especially relevant for clients considering buying investment real estate for passive income generation. This strategy is popular among retirees and even some younger investors. The recent overhaul of the federally subsidized National Flood Insurance Program compounds the headache — and expenses — for property owners who are required by their mortgage holder to carry flood as well as homeowners’ insurance.

The article has a list of reasons that losses are higher and rebuilding is more expensive.

I was working on my budget this week, as I always do at the start of the year. While I can absorb the rising prices, many retirees on a fixed income may be forced out of their homes. And what about the ones who can’t get insurance at any price, or at an extremely costly insurance pool price?

Climate change will inexorably lead to gigantic losses. This is the beginning. Like high cirrus clouds signaling an approaching storm front.

Wendy

1 Like

While I can absorb the rising prices, many retirees on a fixed income may be forced out of their homes. And what about the ones who can’t get insurance at any price, or at an extremely costly insurance pool price?

Though we are on the Eastern side of the States, you will not be surprised to hear that local chat boards like Nextdoor are filled with complaints about rents up 20%. Our property taxes are also up 20% and there was a recent post from another homeowner whose insurance just doubled, even though the last claim was a small one over 10 years ago. We should be getting insurance renewals in July. Of course property values have also risen considerably, and we have replacement costs on our insurance, so I suspect we will have a doubling as well.

IP

1 Like

Not commenting on Washington (state) rule change or its impact, but otherwise, the rising rates are probably a rationalization of insurance, hopefully offsetting the irrationality of state and federal flood-insurance and disaster-relief programs - which serve to encourage building in high-risk areas.

Really, if a property suffers more than N property-disasters in X years, that property should be legally marked as permanently ineligible for any sort of government assistance in repair or replacement of the property subsequent to another disaster. Such marking should be a matter of public rerelief or assistance after further such disasters. (Carefully specifying: this does NOT apply to cord. And this should include not being permitted into federally-subsidized flood insurance programs.

(Now if a house is built in a flood zone in such a way that a flood is a temporary inconvenience making it hard to get in and out, rather than a disaster requiring replacement or major repair… then that house won’t suffer any flood disasters. I’ve seen such a house; its concrete basement walls extended a good 8-10 feet above ground level and had plenty of passages for water to go through… it had a patio at main-floor level with a canoe parked on it… a concrete stairway going up to the patio… there wasn’t another house within a mile of it as that specific area has some degree of a flood every spring.)

Of course property values have also risen considerably, and we have replacement costs on our insurance, so I suspect we will have a doubling as well.
IP

Here (Southern CA), I don’t know about doubling, but increases for sure.

Up to +40% on the house, by my calculations.

Nice to have a good home in a good neighborhood and fire prevention measures and all that, BUT 40%???

It isn’t surprising around here where there are a lot of 20 year old “hail damaged” roofs being replaced through home insurance.

PSU

1 Like

Nice to have a good home in a good neighborhood and fire prevention measures and all that, BUT 40%???

And your property taxes are restricted from going up fast IIRC. Our city makes sure we pay for increase in property values annually, though they are super slow to reduce our assessment when values go down. Our taxes have more than doubled since we bought in 2017. First year it went up 30% and I remember thinking “bait and switch.” Of course the city complains endlessly about lack of affordable housing and then taxes the heck out of everyone to develop a fund for affordable housing that they never use, all while making existing housing less affordable for those who live there, many on a fixed budget.

IP

1 Like

The insurer sent a letter saying that the reason was that Washington State no longer allows insurance companies to charge based on credit score.

Credit score should be irrelevant to insurance.

Insurance works in only ONE way: It spreads the cost of losses over a large group, with “normal” losses estimated to be a bit below the total premiums collected.

However, when the projected “normal” losses (i.e. expected losses over a multi-year timeframe) go up dramatically, then premiums will do the same. So you are being charged for the expected losses incurred everywhere in the state–which are averaged over all properties insured by the that company.

5 Likes

Just for comparison purposes, we live outside of the Boston area in a residential neighborhood. Our home insurance just went up 15%.

'38Packard

1 Like

My condo fees got jacked by $300/yr because the condo board decided we needed a $50,000/year Earthquake insurance policy.

intercst

1 Like

<My condo fees got jacked by $300/yr because the condo board decided we needed a $50,000/year Earthquake insurance policy.>

Does that cover collapse without an earthquake, like the condo in Florida?
Wendy

Wendy asks,

Does that cover collapse without an earthquake, like the condo in Florida?

No it’s just a standard earthquake policy with a 10% of insured value deductible. The condo complex would have to suffer severe damage to collect anything on it.

I live in a two-story, wood frame construction development on dry land, 200 ft above sea level. We’re unlikely to encounter the problems of an oceanfront Florida condo.

intercst

A rec to intercst for getting right to the nub,

The key risk questions you have not addressed are

– how close are you to a known active fault
– what are the soils underneath you at you 200’ elevation? What are their recent development grading and fill history as well as their geological history?

I recently inherited the two bedroom two floor condominium my parents lived in for old and (Mom) really old age. It is built on fill at about 50’ above sea level. I am really glad the association holds a real earthquake insurance policy, and it does have a 10% deductible.

It went from being valued at about 520K until about 2010, when due to significant changes in businesses and main property buyers the area became known as “Silicon Beach”. The condo is now valued at $1.5M. A neighor told me that another condo association had been sued when a very low clearance Lamborghini was injured going over a bump in the garage…

David fb

2 Likes

No it’s just a standard earthquake policy with a 10% of insured value deductible. The condo complex would have to suffer severe damage to collect anything on it.
intercst

Some policies have even larger deductibles.

But the sweet spot I’ve noticed: A pro-rata clause.

Paraphrased: If the total values of EQ damage claims exceed the funds available to pay, then all claims will be paid in a pro-rata basis.

Last quote I was given increased our premium ~~~60%.

No thanks, pass.