Russian oil weapon

JPMorgan predicts $380 oil on worst-case Russian output cuts
www.msn.com/en-ae/money/news/jpmorgan-predicts-dollar380-oil…
The Group of Seven leading industrial nations are working out a complicated mechanism to cap the price fetched by Russian oil in an attempt to tighten the screws on President Vladimir Putin amid Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

But Moscow can afford to reduce daily crude production by 5 million barrels without excessively damaging the Russian economy, JPMorgan analysts including Natasha Kaneva wrote in a note to clients. For much of the rest of the world, however, the results could be disastrous.

A 3 million barrel cut to daily supplies would push benchmark London crude prices that are now around $111 to $190, while the worst-case scenario of 5 million could mean “stratospheric” $380 crude, the analysts wrote.

DB2

6 Likes

DB2,

Moscow can afford to stop breathing.

It is really not that simple.

Russia is not in a position to negotiate.

The G7 is negotiating with OPEC as well. The American public would change its tune and allow VZ to pump more.

What if JPMorgan is unloading as the price goes lower? How much faith do you have in JPMorgan?

When the G7 declares a price for Russian oil China and India wont pay more. This means even a wish on the Russian’s part to cut supplies wont change the price decided in advance in the marketplace. Does not matter if Russia stops shipping 3 million barrels per day. The price will be the price.

In the 80s when the economics text books were being written anew there was a discussion of the power of OPEC. There was the suggestion that the G7 could form a much stronger cartel at any time.

How much faith do you have in JPMorgan?

Faith in JPM is not an issue. What is important is recognizing that Russia has a weapon that could nuke the world’s economy and create a global recession. What is the possibility that Putin would use it? Small, but larger than the probability of nuclear weapon use I think.

Just something I had not thought about.

DB2

1 Like

But Moscow can afford to reduce daily crude production by 5 million barrels without excessively damaging the Russian economy, ……

Exports provide about 45% of Russia’s GDP, of which oil and gas are over half.

They currently produce about 10.5M barrels a day.

Reducing daily crude production by 5M barrels wouldn’t excessively damage the Russian economy?

Wow, their economy must be in much worse shape than I thought.

AW

5 Likes

DB,

Let’s assume that this is a reasonable prediction.

First, how does a 3 million barrel a day cut effect Russia

So it looks like a 3 million a day is about 30 percent from February numbers. I am not really sure I am reading this right and the data that I am seeing is highly politicized, so this may be wildly inaccurate. But, play with me because this might be an interesting rabbit hole.

So lets make numbers easy, say Russia is pumping 10 million a day now, and getting 80
percent of the market price as defined by $WTIC (West Texas Intermediate Crude) so roughly 800 million a day in cash. Now reduce that to 7 million barrels a day, increase the price of $WTIC to 190 and Russia discounted price to 170 and you get a 1,100 million a day. Russia’s cash flow jumps almost 40 percent.

Not bad for Russia, at least in the short term. However, this will cause massive demand destruction aa well as open taps world wide. 190 simply will not last. I will not bother with 380 oil.

Adjusted for inflation, oil prices have not been higher than 200 dollars a barrel and they have not sustained 100 plus a barrel for more than 24 months.

So, while Russia can enhance its cash flow by limiting oil exports, this enhancement will be limited to 24 to 30 months and will create demand destruction and higher competitive oil productions elsewhere. In other words, Russia has to wrap this war up by the fall of 2023. Any later than that and they will lose, probably permanently, significant market share.

Looking on this side, what can we expect at 190 dollars a barrel? First, all extraneous motor fuels consumption will be severely restricted. Where I live, twin 300 horsepower out boards still leave the channel daily in search of red snapper. These boats burn an average of
20 gallons an hour and can burn up to 60 gallons of premium gasoline per hour. It is likely that these sport fishing boats will sit idle.

The same will happen with Motor Homes, light aircraft and Sunday drives in the Suburban.

We can expect the value of electric cars and especially electric delivery vans to rise rapidly. The cost/benefit equation for electric stuff at the business level for local transport will become obvious. Battery supplies, which will remain constrained, will be redirected from hot rod electric cars to big brown boxes on wheels.

Finally, ZOOM will be back. After the pandemic, everybody is now acutely aware of how much it
costs to commute. Any business that fails to acknowledge that in their compensation equation will be severely punished. This isn’t just for white collar workers, there are a lot of blue collar workers that have no reason to go to central work location. Businesses that fail
to understand and leverage this will find themselves paying a lot for a little.

To try and show just how sensitive the price of
oil is to supply / demand imbalances I recall that by the mid 70’s it was pointed out that just improving the efficiency of the tankers moving the
oil would have eliminated the oil shortage.

In reality, it does not take a lot to reduce oil demand by 3 million barrels a day. This is less than 10 percent of current world oil consumption. However, it does take time, and during that time the world economy bleeds money in an alarming fashion.

Every oil shock with oil approaching 200 dollars a barrel (inflation adjusted) has left the world economy transformed.

Cheers
Qazulight

5 Likes

Reducing daily crude production by 5M barrels wouldn’t excessively damage the Russian economy?

If you reduce the amount you
sell by half, but raise the
price you sell it at by 3 times you do OK.

10 times 100 = 1000
5 times 300 = 1500

Russia gets a 50 percent increase in revenue, not s decrease.

This is not without consequence though. This will cause rapid and permanent demand destruction that in the long term significantly reduce Russia’s oil revenues.

Cheers
Qazulight

DB2,

The JPM analyst at the very least has a Slavic name if not a Russian name.

This is all kind of funny.

Wow, their economy must be in much worse shape than I thought.

AW

AW,

The source is wishing oil will go higher. Anything to believe in for that to come true.

Believing in stray ideas is a dangerous way of life, DB2. I admire your willingness.

If you reduce the amount you
sell by half, but raise the
price you sell it at by 3 times you do OK.

Qaz,

OPEC would get a big hike in the price of oil.

The G7 cartel would continue to decide the price of Russian oil a much lower level.

In other words Russian oil would not go a penny higher.

Whatever lower price the G7 declares India and China will never pay more to the Russians.

News SA has said they will being to up their quota of oil.

BTW in some of googling searching I did just now, Iran is lowering its price for oil to match Russia’s price for the Chinese buyers. In other words China is negotiating lower prices from others.

Look out below.

Ouch!!

The G7 cartel would continue to decide the price of Russian oil a much lower level.

You can’t control the price of oil if you don’t produce most of it. Russia could simply decide not to sell at the prices set by the cap.
If you remove Russian Oil Imports to OECD Europe the price will explode.

1 Like

You can’t control the price of oil if you don’t produce most of it.

None of it works that way. There are counter parties to buying and selling the oil.

The price of $106 is with a steep premium. Russia was already cut off by the US and to sell in the EU. The Russian oil was immediately discounted by 20% by the Russians to India and China along with smaller countries. The Chinese now are insisting the Iranians discount their oil by 20%. The Iranians have obliged.

G7 can do more than dictate to Russia. The G7 can dictate to Saudi Arabia.

Dictatorships that produce oil are under immense pressure. The dictators abuse the foundations of their nation's economy by skimming the profits on the oil.

Look at VZ with some of the very largest reserves. It is a failed mission to withhold oil from us.

If the G7 gradually bring down the price incrementally there is no choice because the Indians and Chinese will use the G7 pricing to leverage the Russians.

The next discount level could be 30% off the spot market. Russia can not become Venezuela in the middle of the war with Ukraine. It is already heading that way. But still Russia is in no rush.

China and India will be a rush for much lower prices. That is our leverage for lower OPEC prices because everyone will start to negotiate lower prices.

It is a very good true to life conspiracy. As long as you are not invested in the patch.

The price of $106 is with a steep premium. Russia was already cut off by the US and to sell in the EU.

That’s not true at all. The US barred Russian oil from US import, but the fact is the US doesn’t import Russian oil anyway.
The US ban on oil doesn’t limit the EU from importing oil from Russia and since the start of the war in Ukraine Russia has sold over a 100 billion dollars in oil…The European Union made up 61% of these imports, worth approximately $59bn.
Russia has already cut natural gas sales to Germany creating a dramatic devastation to their economy; in case you thought Russia was unable to stop production of of oil or gas.

G7 can do more than dictate to Russia. The G7 can dictate to Saudi Arabia.

That’s just not true.

because everyone will start to negotiate lower prices.

That is not how the market works, if Russia and OPEC cut production the price goes up, period.

4 Likes

That is not how the market works, if Russia and OPEC cut production the price goes up, period.

That “period” tells me you do not know what you are doing.

Buyer beware!!

Or if wishes were horses even beggars would ride.

1 Like

You most definitely negotiate lower oil prices as a buyer. No one in the oil market as a buyer has a gun pointed at their heads.

There is leverage being placed on OPEC right. The WaPo article is just the leverage or excuse of the day to pump more and lower prices. The G7/USA is the military might OPEC needs.

Well no one has a gun pointed at there head other than OPEC confronting Iran. But those are the sellers.

article date June 30, 2022

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/06/3…

China negotiates with Iran…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-03/iran-slas…

headline subheadline

Iran Slashes Cost of Its Oil to Compete With Russia in China
Tehran forced to cut crude prices to match Russian Urals grade
West African varieties one of hardest hit from upended flows

Bottom line small investors who are long or short have a huge bias. This is a reality check. You wont thank me. You can still learn how to invest.

DB2,

So much for the Slavic name bearing analysts from JPM. Oil fell out of bed after her report.

Her screwy-ness made no difference. Quite the opposite is happening in reality.

I do not care if the longs here want to shoot the messenger. The idea of killing reality is common when it comes to investing. Just hold on dear god.

You most definitely negotiate lower oil prices as a buyer.

No you don’t, you buy according to the price set by the crude available.
You own link says so…
Biden wants Saudi Arabia and the emirates to take action to lower oil prices, with West Texas Intermediate crude hovering around $110 a barrel
[From your link]

OPEC #1 Oil exporter, Russia #2 Oil exporter
They control the price of oil (if demand is steady) according to the amount of production, period. If Russia decreased Oil Exports by 12% for July and August the OPEC increase would not even be enough to make up for it.

BTW it will take Venezuela years and years to get back to 1998 production levels.

1 Like

Biden is being diplomatic. Meanwhile Iran and the Arabians are holding guns to each other’s heads. China is demanding lower prices. India wont be far behind. The US is leveraging those guns in the ME. OPEC wont be far behind in pumping more and cutting prices.

VZ does not need to get back to 1998 levels to be a factor.

The market does not at all agree with the JPM analyst’s incredible nonsense. If there was any merit that her nonsense as you see it the market would not be dumping this morning.

If you want to believe in buyers having zero say please tell us how that works. The oil is worthless without our money. And that is the next thing the USD is appreciating meaning we get more of anything for a dollar. SA wants our dollars more.

At the same time demand is falling.

West Texas Intermediate crude hovering around $110 a barrel

Not any more …

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-04/oil-holds…

1 Like

Maybe maybe not
Brent crude futures extended gains on Tuesday as a strike in Norway is expected to disrupt oil and gas output

Brent crude futures rose 82 cents, or 0.7%, to $114.32 a barrel by 0105 GMT after a 2.4% gain on Monday.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/markets/commodities/new…