Sheila: scar prevention & repair

I just took the latest NYTimes health quiz and there was a question about preventing monkeypox scars. I followed the link to more info and learned about silicone gel and tape for the first time. These products are apparently for scar prevention & repair.

Since you edited a dermatology journal, I figure you might know a lot about this. Can you recommend any specific products? [The hubster has a few scars from falls. And I have some old scars I’d like to get rid of. And what about my brother’s new psoriasis spots and old surgery scars–might it work on those?]

PS–Since I usually have to guess some of the answers in the weekly(?) NYT health quiz, I seldom get all the answers right, but today I did :wink:

1 Like

learned about silicone gel and tape for the first time. These products are apparently for scar prevention & repair.

Since you edited a dermatology journal, I figure you might know a lot about this. Can you recommend any specific products?

My experience with minimizing scars actually began a bunch of years ago when I fell down the subway steps and cut my shin and knee down to the bone. I found the silicone gel and tape worthless. Then I got a great recommendation from the Executive Director of the dermatology organization that I wrote the publication for. She had had a bad accident resulting in a deep cut on her arm, and one of the dermatologists on the board told her about Mederma Scar Gel, which contains an onion extract. It was amazing. There’s a more concentrated version now (Mederma Advanced Scar Gel) that only needs once-daily application instead of 3 times/day. I don’t know how much it helps old scars, as my experience has been just with new ones. Prevention is easier. I also eventually discovered a wonderful neem salve that was great on speeding healing, preventing inflammation and infection, and—for incisions—dramatically minimizing scarring. It’s also great for rashes, burns, bug bites… But it doesn’t seem to be made any longer (aarrrgghh!!!). It’s been a staple for me for a long time, and I’m looking for a replacement now.

In addition to the Mederma product, I had found that once that had taken me as far as possible, then doing a stint with Derma-E’s scar gel gained further improvement.

=sheila

2 Likes

We were recommended to use a scar gel (forgot the name), or Aquafor while the wound was healing. After suture removal (if required) transition to the silicone strips. This was from a plastic surgeon. Seemed to work, though 1poorlady’s skin shows darkening of scar tissue (as opposed to a white guy like me whose scar is more pink). But it’s relatively smooth (no ridge at the scar).

FWIW.