Shopify vs Instagram

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3390885-instagram-gives-global…

One of the factors that added to the concern with Shopify was the threat of Instagram intercepting social commerce going to Shopify with an in house ecommerce push.

This one is something to watch for anyone still in Shopify. Or a potential reason to enter FB if you like.

Ant

5 Likes

Re: This one is something to watch for anyone still in Shopify

Yes, I am still in SHOP, albeit, a midsize position since it was my largest. I took the opportunity to lighten up this week given the recent surge (>10%) but it’s still 8% of my portfolio. Yes, the growth is slowing some but I don’t think SHOP will drop off the cliff anytime soon. I believe the company is sandbagging their forecast so that can beat. SHOP has lots of moving parts and I believe they will grow steadily > 40% range into their valuation. In addition to some recent developments with Apple AR and Canada Cannabis, SHOP is aggressively pursuing International expansion and Shopify Plus among others. I’m willing to give them couple more quarters at my #6 position. We have seen several companies, like PAYC, steadily growing even when their valuation appears to be very high. Also, selling online is the future and I’m sure we will have many players including Instagram fighting for piece of the pie.

5 Likes

Yep the single reason I haven’t trimmed my position is the impending MJ freedom day in Canada (Oct 17th) - with that event horizon, Shopify is getting support and lift. I can see this ascending as we get closer to and into the day to day ecommerce trading frenzy of MJ.

A

I fail to see the threat here

Shopify helps businesses set up their online marketing to all various platforms - including Instagram

Instagram is launching a feature to advertise further to consumers

What’s the connection here?

4 Likes

What’s the connection here?
If Instagram closes the loop between its social media advertisers, consumers and ecommerce functionality then whilst not necessarily a closed off walled garden it certainly provides an end to end social ecommerce functionality competitor to Shopify as well as a point of interception to traffic.
A

2 Likes