Snowflake competitive advantage

In an effort to build my conviction on Snowflake, I’d like to ask the tech savvy folks on the board for some input. I came across a couple quotes from the recent Teradata earnings call where the CEO claims they won head to head against Snowflake. These are as follows:

A North American based global e-commerce marketplace reconnected to Teradata to modernize its analytics environment. After it tested the cloud native offering, experienced in technical challenges and extended migration delays brought the customer to the realization that it would not achieve the business value they expected from its intended move to Snowflake. Selecting Vantage on AWS offered a seamless transition to the cloud ensures its mission critical production workload is maintained and allows its people to focus on creating gold forward business value.

and

To provide some color on our momentum, I’d like to highlight a handful of our public cloud wins. One of the world’s largest airlines committed to Teradata on Azure for its next generation analytics in the cloud. We were chosen ahead of Snowflake because of our low cost price performance and our best treat technology, allow invest customer to meet its advanced analytics goals.

Now TDC is clearly not a high growth company overall, and isn’t appropriate for this board. However, they seem be arguing their cloud data product is a threat to Snowflakes growth. They tout 165% growth (from 40m to 106m) in their “public cloud” revenue.

Can anyone shed some light on what core competitive advantage SNOW has against a cheaply valued company like this? Much appreciate any insight, thank you.

Kyle - long SNOW no position in TDC

15 Likes

I have a couple immediate thoughts. (I’m a user of database products and heavily constrained to what my company allows - Azure).

These statements are from a biased salesman. They are probably intended to include his company’s products favorably in the conversation against a competitor.

If a company has a gate keeper or other position of prior art involved with one product and has a contract to continue, they would have a high bias to keep what they have. At minimum, waiting until it’s time to renegotiate (by business cycle, or by prioritization over other mission critical tasks) before considering a switch.

All of that is to say, I don’t think this is anything more than an anecdote from a biased source.

1 Like