subgectssj

I think I understand you, but I only had about 7k in gains that I wanted to negate on those 30k losses.

also 10 years assuming none of those 10 years to have any capital losses might be considered an extreme (of course the last 10 years might prove me wrong!)

I think I understand you, but I only had about 7k in gains that I wanted to negate on those 30k losses.

also 10 years assuming none of those 10 years to have any capital losses might be considered an extreme (of course the last 10 years might prove me wrong!)

Now you are adding to the confusion by changing the thread subject and the circumstances.

In your first post, you asked about selling gains without selling the losing shares of the same stock (but at different brokers). You sell gains without any concern for wash sales.

Now you are talking about selling some (all?) of the losses and as well as the gains so as to minimize the amount of capital loss carryforward. This is a different situation. If you sell any shares at a loss (regardless of whether you sell offsetting gains in the same stock), you create the possibility of a wash sale. You will have a wash sale if you buy back substantially identical shares within 30 days before or after the date you sell the losers.

You are also concerned about carrying forward $23K in excess losses. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Each year you will be able to offset any gains you have from other stock sales. In addition, you can use up to $3000/year of the carryover loss to offset your ordinary income.

Ira

6 Likes

Now you are adding to the confusion by changing the thread subject and the circumstances.
Ira - it looks like you also replied in post 134705 as if you were replying to the thread by Phaze3131, but instead that is the thread started by Rubic.
So I’d say you’re both guilty of adding to the confusion. :slight_smile:

Now you are talking about selling some (all?) of the losses and as well as the gains so as to minimize the amount of capital loss carryforward.

I don’t think the scenario Phaze3131 has stated has changed.

They have $30k in capital losses (source of losses unspecified)

They are looking at using up some of those losses by selling gains now.

You are correct. I responded in 134795 as if that was the Phaze3131 thread - similar topic, different facts.

However, I still think the circumstances have changed. In 134790, Phaze3131 mentions the unrealized losses but doesn’t say anything about selling them. He asks about harvesting gains. It’s only later that selling losses becomes part of the equation.

Ira

1 Like

However, I still think the circumstances have changed. In 134790, Phaze3131 mentions the unrealized losses but doesn’t say anything about selling them. He asks about harvesting gains. It’s only later that selling losses becomes part of the equation.

I read the initial post as “I already have losses that I don’t want to carry over - can I sell stock to have some capital gains to use up some of the carryover.”

(With the source of that loss completely unspecified)