Tennis Players Live a Lot Longer

The Best Sport for a Longer Life? Try Tennis.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/well/move/the-best-sport-…

Cycling was the most popular activity among the Danes in the study, many of whom reported riding for four or more hours every week. Their pedaling was associated with a lengthier life span, adding an average of 3.7 years to riders’ lives, compared to sedentary Danes.

Running likewise was associated with an extra 3.2 years of life.

But these gains were notably less than for playing tennis, which was linked to 9.7 added years of life, or badminton, which was linked to an extra 6.2 years, or soccer, which added almost 5 years to players’ lives.

intercst

4 Likes

“But these gains were notably less than for playing tennis, which was linked to 9.7 added years of life”

Cycling and running are essentially individual exercises (yes there are clubs but the activity is solo).
Tennis requires at least 1 other person to play.
I would imagine that the social aspect of tennis adds the extra boost, plus it’s not quite as intense as those others - breaks to change ends and between serves. So more of an intermittent exercise.

1 Like

The dentist I had in the 60s and early 70s died of a heart attack while playing tennis. I’m not sure he was over 50.

Steve

2 Likes

The dentist I had in the 60s and early 70s died of a heart attack while playing tennis. I’m not sure he was over 50.

Sure. That’s why that data is only useful in terms of average results from large populations. The odds favor those who are getting exercise and eat right.

The guy who wrote the bestseller “The Complete Book of Running”, Jim Fixx was found dead of a heart attack by the roadside at age 52. That doesn’t mean runners are more likely to die from it, and it’s safer to just sit in front of the TV with a beer and a pizza.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx

intercst

“The guy who wrote the bestseller “The Complete Book of Running”, Jim Fixx was found dead of a heart attack by the roadside at age 52. That doesn’t mean runners are more likely to die from it, and it’s safer to just sit in front of the TV with a beer and a pizza.”

did a hard 12 mile xc ski yesterday, and popped a beer while sitting in my vehicle at
the trailhead afterwards,lol. So did the beer cancel out the intense exercise ? :slight_smile:

( I don’t care if it did, it tasted really good, lol )

2 Likes

…these gains were notably less than for playing tennis…

What causes were given for this? (I cannot read the article since it’s behind a firewall and I’m not a NYT subscriber.)

I can imagine various reasons why this might be the case: tennis, along with being a social sport as Neuromancer says, is a stop and go sport. You are not continually active while you do need to engage mentally at all times. Some activities are harder on your body than others so the back and forth, the relative restings and exertions of tennis may play a role.

I can also see where sports demographics might play a role. The majority of people who play tennis regularly may be part of what we used to call the “country club set” or of that sort of socio-economic species, whose education and wealth alone may contribute to longevity more so than some of the comparison sports listed.

Pete

5 Likes

When you play tennis or other similar sports (racquetball, pickleball, etc.) you tend to keep playing if you are a bit tired because you get short rests and you can’t (socially) quit mid game. Also, since you probably have to reserve a court and coordinate with partners you feel committed to showing up and playing even if you are not quite feeling like it. Both of these things push you to exercise a bit more than just being able to say I’m just not going to go for a run today. The competitiveness also tends to push you a bit more.

Mike

1 Like

That’s an interesting article. Maybe I need to add a social form of exercise to my life. All my exercise is solitary.

Maybe I need to add a social form of exercise to my life. All my exercise is solitary.

Recreational sex. My traumatologist (bone doc) told me it was the best exercise to strengthen your back and avoid lower back pain.

The Captain
likes his doctor!

2 Likes