Tesla Recall 54K cars fail to stop @ signs

Wow, if I or rather my Micra fails to stop at a stop sign … I just get a ticket?

Anymouse

3 Likes

This ‘feature’ written MUST have been from a CA S/W programmer?

This is the “classic” California stop definition. (And guaranteed to get you a stiff ticket when witnessed by a peace officer!

(Note the provisions for "no relevant moving cars, people, etc. CLASSIC.)

https://news.yahoo.com/tesla-recall-full-self-driving-111645…

“The “rolling stop” feature let the Teslas go through all-way stop signs as long as the owner enabled the function. The vehicles have to be traveling below 5.6 mph while approaching the intersection, and no “relevant” moving cars, pedestrians or bicyclists can be detected nearby. All roads leading to the intersection had to have speed limits of 30 mph or less, the documents said. The Teslas would then be allowed to go through the intersection at 0.1 mph to 5.6 mph without coming to a complete stop.”

This is the “classic” California stop definition.

I was stopped by a Peace Officer in California for not making a full stop at a stop sign.

I was riding by bicycle and did not put a foot on the ground at the stop sign, I only slowed to a stop, balancing on the stopped bike. I had a friendly chat with the officer and got off with a warning and the lecture. LOL

The Captain

1 Like

I was stopped by a Peace Officer in California for not making a full stop at a stop sign.

In the category of “who can top this”:

Had a paper route during jr high school. Early morning, before sunrise. See maybe five moving cars all the way to pick up spot and delivering my papers. All before sunrise. Daily.

On the way to pickup spot one morning, red traffic light. (Why was it even cycling then? ZERO traffic.) Anyway, didn’t even make a pretense of stopping. Blew thru the intersection. Did I say, THERE WERE NO CARS?

Cop spotted my young scofflaw self, dutifully wrote me up. I disremember if there was a fine assessed.

Fast forward 15 years later, to applying for USN OCS; security clearance and all that. I FORGOT to put down the incident. The gov’s vigorous digging into my background wanted to know as to why I omitted the “traffic violation”. Thank goodness they helped my straighten out my undiligent caboose early!

1 Like

I can top this. :slight_smile: Or rather a friend of mine can.

In the late 90’s I was tracking a Corvette (for safe, legal, high speed fun) and had a friend with a twin-turbo RX-7. Brutally fast car if you knew how to drive it. Anyway, he also liked to drive fast on the street. One day north of Dallas on the frontage road of 75N he as going rather fast. He sees a car on the highway, also going fast. So he merges on behind the guy. Immediately sees flashing lights in his rear view. Yes — he merged into the middle of a high speed chase.

5 Likes

Thank goodness they helped my straighten out my undiligent caboose early!

Lovely! :wink:

The Captain