Tesla's Growing Inventory-Problem or No?

Andy

1 Like

oh no my computer is smaller…

Yep, still a car. On an average flight, commercial airline pilots only spend three to seven minutes piloting the plane. Even then, their inputs are limited by software. Under certain very low ceiling/visibility conditions it is a requirement that the computer land the plane.

Nobody says “I need to get to the computerport to catch my computer to Sheboygan.”

2 Likes

Only because nobody knows what the heck Sheboygan is or why somebody needs a computer there.

Andy

Congratulations! Over 400 comments.

Steve

1 Like

That’s odd. I only show 354.

DB2

Yours shows as 406, so this one could be 407.

There’s a secret membership that gives you access to the extra posts. Invite only. Sorry.

4 Likes

This has been one of the worst threads of my life.

I am trying to make the other complainers happy.

"This has been one of the worst threads of my life.

I am trying to make the other complainers happy."

As Dante’s Inferno makes clear, the absolute lowest level of hell is Frozen Immobility, an endless repetition of unrelieved pain produced by pride, a fire from within rather than without.

Yowsah yowsah yowsah. Come right on in and see the endless thread…

Of course, there is an escape, by foregoing “&%·ç=” and then journeying up and out through satan’s ahem…

david fb

2 Likes

Where is the apple in that crap book? There was an apple invented for that production.

No one at Fenway Park orders an emulsified meat on a bun with mustard, yet hot dog = emulsified meat.

In your heart of hearts none of you really want this thread to end. That’s evident by the fact that you are reading this instead of a post on inverted yield curves. It is a guilty pleasure. Same reason why lots of people know about the details of Dante’s Inferno but few bother to read Purgatorio or Paradiso.

1 Like

For LTB&H investors in the auto industry I think it is critical to think of cars as computers on wheels because the economics of autos will increasingly resemble that of computers. I think for the mass market there will be something that looks like a small SUV/Van, a larger SUV/Van, and a pickup truck. Everything else will be small niche products. All the important options will be defined by software that the consumer can buy/subscribe to at any time. This is analogous to computers where you have tablets, laptops, all-in-one desk tops, and modular desk tops, all accessible to commercial software that can increase functionality.

In those halcyon days of analog there used to be hundreds of telephone styles, from princess phones to ones you hang in a phone booth. In today’s digital world they all look like flat rectangles, personalized primarily by apps. Functional options provided by software instead of hardware. The same will be true of cars.

I think the winners in the car industry will be those with the best software and who can produce and market cars like computers most efficiently. So far, that seems to be Tesla.

Let’s see if this post allows me to get the last word. Always wanted to close the bar.

Nope. :grin: (plus enough for 20)

4 Likes

If the manufactures ever get to FSD cars time will be freed up to surf and shop online while being ushered around town.

Until then the time wont be spent on a PC for entertainment in a car by the drivers. Most cars only have a driver.

Meanwhile having chips in a car is old hat and does not make it a computer.

The hype is hype for now. FSD is a very mixed bag for now.

I hate even despise adt. They tricked me into signing a contract once and I had to pay that damned thing for 3 years and 2 months, took 2 months to get them to end it afetr the 3 year contarct period.

(mine shows 416 comments)

Not with some selective filtering…

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 11.57.58 AM

2 Likes

There are more makes and more models of cars now than at any time in history.

And yet there are also more options for the hardware of phones than at any time since the beginning of cell phones. Apple, alone, makes 8 where they used to make one. Then they added larger, then smaller, then more cameras, then wireless charging - none of which happened “with software.” Those were all hardware implementations.

More to the point, phones have a primary purpose and the “flat form factor” serves nearly every one of those (the “folding screen” notwithstanding.) Cars serve many and varied purposes from single commuter to family cars to business cars to cargo transport to multi-passenger transport. You must be thinking of central planning like Russia, where they decide “one size fits all”. The history of the open market is exactly opposite.

Yes, Tesla is first in the race here and that’s a big advantage. But almost every traditional manufacturer is getting in the game, which is very different from the last five years. Recall that Sperry-Remington was first in computers, Westinghouse was an industrial powerhouse before GE, and more to the point Ford and GM were industry leaders long before Toyota and Nissan came along, not to mention Tesla.

“Efficiency” is certainly an important part of the equation, but with cars it’s also about styling, service, and a host of other factors.

Not while you keep posting nonsense.

2 Likes

Compare Apple’s eight models that all look alike with those for Western Electric rotaries: Western Electric Prototypes and Field Trial Sets (paul-f.com)

Or how about the collection of Bell land-line types for sale: Bell Landline Phones - Bing images

That is mostly because we are transitioning from gas to electric. Car companies have to make hybrid and electric versions of their ICE models. This is a temporary phase. In about 10-20 years, ICE and probably hybrid manufacturing will come to an end. All that will be left will be electric and then the number of models offered will plummet.

1 Like

Just one anecdotal story.

My 2007 Honda Accord is on its last leg, so I’ve been researching cars. I’m focusing on the Honda CR-V Hybrid.

I watched a 40 minute review of the car. Software was only mentioned once in the review and that was that the software on the screen was a little clumsy.

A friend and I went to a Honda dealer this morning. Basically, if I wanted an ICE version I could put down a $500 deposit and pick up one of 3 they have on order in 6 weeks, maybe. If I wanted a Hybrid, I could give them $500 and wait for the 2024 model this fall (the exact date being rather vague).

They had 1 ICE CR-V on the lot I could look at before the person picked it up tomorrow. Not a Hybrid model in sight.

They had a list of car models with prices. Take it or leave it. They could care less.

I did talk with a saleswoman about the Hybrid model for about 30 minutes.

The topic of software/computers never came up once.

Just saying.

3 Likes