The future of car buying?

This is a new twist on the installment plan.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscription…
BMW is now selling subscriptions for heated seats in a number of countries — the latest example of the company’s adoption of microtransactions for high-end car features.

A monthly subscription to heat your BMW’s front seats costs roughly $18, with options to subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for “unlimited” access for $415.

BMW is now selling subscriptions for heated seats in a number of countries — the latest example of the company’s adoption of microtransactions for high-end car features.

German car makers have long been known for making features ‘add-on’ while Japanese high end companies tend to include everything. What is new to BMW is the subscription model rather than just an up-front cost.

DB2

1 Like

Back in 1972, I owned a VW Rabbit (US name for a Golf). When I bought it, they offered me an option of an intermittent windshield wiper for $129 (which I decided not to buy). Separately, I purchased a service manual from a third party which showed an exploded view of the steeling column which showed a plastic plug inserted to prevent the windshield wiper handle from moving to the intermittent position. A few minutes of work with a screwdriver let me pop out the plug and take advantage of the option which was there all along, but disabled at the factory.

I’m guessing turning on the power to the heated seats will likely be more complicated.

Jeff

6 Likes

I’m guessing turning on the power to the heated seats will likely be more complicated.

Jeff

Not necessarily.
Keep a couple of travel blankets handy.
On a colder day, and you have a passenger in the back.
Jeff: is it cold back there?
Passenger: Y-y-yes
Jeff: Grab a travel blanket from X (where X is when blanket is not in use)
(Jeff then speeds up to get to the destination faster)

These days, most functions are managed through the body control computer. Doesn’t matter if you are stepping on the gas, putting the trans in Drive, or turning on the heat, your button and lever wiggles are telling the computer to turn something on or off. With a computer that receives updates wirelessly, it is a snap for Big Brother to turn features on or off.

Have you seen the video about the guys who hacked into a Jeep Cherokee, and the havoc they wrought with the radio, heat, wipers, brakes, and throttle? Now that technology is being leveraged to extort more money from you by the OEM.

Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on a Highway | WIRED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0SrxBC1xs

And, don’t think the subscription prices will stay fixed. When I first bought Norton AV in the late 90s, updates were free for the life of the software. Then Norton started charging $4/yr, for the update service, the marginal cost of providing the service to me was near zero. Now Norton wants $80/yr. A Qucken package used to cost $40 and run for three years. Now, the same package is still $40, but it only runs for one year. I would expect the same behavior from the automakers: every time they want to juice their profits, raise the subscription fee. It does seem that “JC” appetite for profits is infinite.

Steve

2 Likes

In particular, with computers being so central to controlling a modern automobile, it is much more likely to be in code, probably less accessible than the bit of plastic.