The Macroeconomic impact of defining obesity as illness

Looking at your graph, sales of HFCS has been falling for 20 years. The rise in obesity has continued it’s uptrend. The uptrend in obesity only correlates with TV advertising. I am old enough to remember TV being flooded with ads for soda and fast food 50 years ago. The biggest change in what is advertised over the last 20 years is expensive, prescription, pills. How would that correlate with obesity?

Most of the obesity rate graphs I see show the uptrend starting around 1980, when the US went supply-side and became Shiny.

Steve

1 Like

Not knowing your details, I suspect that number might be a bit off, but still, it’s an easily demonstrated situation that smaller bodies take less energy just to “be” (your BMR) This also happens with taller individuals…and the “lighter” they get, the lower that resting energy expenditure…but for most folk, there seems to be a minimum amount of food in a day that’s a satisfying amount and it’s not much lower for short than it is for tall folk. That’s what’s pretty sucky about being shorter…maintenance calories are almost always lower than it’s comfortable to eat.

I’m 5’6", toggling around 130-32 lbs with good body composition/lowish body fat and I guesstimate that in Emeritus mode (i.e. no longer teaching upwards of 5 group exercise classes and the extra time and energy putting them together plus my own training to keep me in shape to do that) I’m in energy balance at around 1800 Cals (give or take about 1000…probably impossible for anyone to be more accurate outside of a metabolic lab) If I dropped to about 1500…which isn’t very much of a drop …I’d start feeling a bit deprived and thinking about food would probably be too annoying for me to hack)

Point is, I don’t think anyone is tremendously comfortable eating much less than this just because of the restrictions it introduces…but someone really short just has to or not maintain weight. Another reason to consider if those claiming success by “just…” resemble your situation sufficiently for their observations to apply

The US as a society has been fatter than most other developed countries for longer than that, I suspect (I’d heard the phrase “Fat, Ugly American” well before setting foot on US soil) Assuming that to be the case, though, the folk making up those figures didn’t go to bed lean on New Years Eve 1979 and wake up next day qualifying for inclusion in these graphs, right? The trend upwards started earlier so the correlation with “whatever”…advertising, HFCF…so there’s a bit of “coincidence” there as well.

1 Like

I have some experience. If I eat 1550 calories a day, I gain weight. So I would not trust your diet app.

1 Like

You’re mixing up a website citing the 1550-1600 calories a day…

… with the completely different MyNetDiary app.

That’s OK… moving on now.

Rob
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think if we get enough regulations on them we can save them.

It is not about saying something. It is not about fault. Not many people are that unaware about losing the extra weight. It is about finding what works for you.

But beware the snake oil salesmen.

1 Like

According to the Noom program women going under 1200 calories per day and men going under 1400 calories per day are doing harm to themselves.

But I have also worked almost two decades ago with a nutritionist who said one of her male clients could only eat 600 calories per day without gaining weight.

It is hard on a message board to do any justice to anyone’s individual situation not to mention actually solve anyone’s dilemma.

I am currently down 44 lbs not the 50 lb success I had. My life has shifted around a lot. As of today I getting back into the tools I need to lose the weight. I have an app, a calorie target each day, better food and raw food and a semblance of how to handle my needs.

About three months ago I was at 43 lb down. Then again at 50. I am moving mostly in a ten pound range over the course of 2 years between 45 lb to 55 lb down. The range mostly has been tight at around 50 to 46 lb down. A four pound range for most of this is reasonable. Over all this is manageable.

The reality is being down mostly over 46 lb for two years is a sterling success. Psychologically as if a paradox I am taking the pressure down and accepting ideas that will find me losing more weight again.

Actually the n but stats do show relatively flat obesity rates in the u.s. in the 1960’s and 70’s ( about 13 percent) and a sharp increase starting in 1980.

My spell check turned ncbi into ‘n but’

1 Like

Yes…but remember “obesity” is quite a strict definition and it means a lot of adiposity. A person can be very overweight/overfat and not quite qualify for obesity status. I’ll grant you, 13% obesity looks quite low by today’s standards but it’s not indicative of a lean population

Or fewer regulations. :slightly_smiling_face:

DB2

3 Likes

Why would that save them? They have to eat the crap? They have to smoke the crap? They have to breath the crap? If we take human beings as a species we can face our end doing the very dumbest things possible. How does allowing very little men to kill us with their smoke stacks etc help anything?

Oh wait the dumbest kids in the classroom will have a factory to kill us. So they get rich? That helps us? That makes a better society? Their grandkids wont survive.

Who cares about one fat man’s wallet v his smarter grandkids surviving? What planet are you talking about? Wait it begins with F…goes to O…then on to X…I do not get my advice from Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson. Time to stop the lying.

We do not need any unregulated pollution.

The cost of a gallon of gasoline at the pump is much smaller than the cost with the clean up included. We are not rich pumping gasoline. We are poorer for it.

How did we morph from Ketchup to gasoline?

Obviously that AI bot needs some tweaking.

'38Packard

2 Likes

I only tweak after midnight.

Meanwhile pollution costs money. Lets cut costs.

It depends on the data source. At least some say the US obesity in 1990 was at about 12%, indicating a sharp rise in the 1990s.

In fact, data from the CDC indicate that the U.S. obesity average was 12% in 1990 and had grown to 23% by 2005. Obesity in America - PubMed

If HFCS caused the obesity pandemic (this hasn’t been proven) it does not mean that removal of HFCS will immediately end the crisis. Studies have depressingly shown that the frequency of the obese returning to a normal weight is less than 1%. Apparently it is much easier to avoid obesity than to recover from it. This means that the continued rise in obesity after the decline of HFCS could simply reflect the passage of the thinner WWII generation and the zenith of the fatter Boomers.

FYI, this is a model of how HFSC causes obesity in mice.

A high fructose diet caused structural changes in the mouse stomach consistent with obesity. If these changes are irreversible (not known) then one can see why removing HFSC from the food supply would not be immediately effective.

Wouldn’t it at least be effective for the 2-3 year olds just starting to eat those HFCS-laden cookies, crackers, etc? And wouldn’t it at least be effective for all the new kids being born each year?

1 Like

Actually the charts show a sharp upswing in overweight and obesity starting in 1980. That happens to be precisely when the sugar industry persuaded Congress to blame fat and not sugar for the prevalence of overweight and obese people.

The primary cause of the sharp and continuous rise of obesity is sugar that is in the processed foods that we use to feed and addict our children.

1 Like

When I eat sugar,I have a distinctly higher hunger feeling for about three days afterwards. Not just a trace amount, but cookies and a dessert in the same day kind of intake.
A perfect example is Sunday our little resort community we had a get together and there were many sweet snacks. I had a small piece of carrot cake and three cookies, it took until Wednesday for my appetite to subside. For me anyway, I have to treat sugar as a drug if I want to lose weight.
Sugar is unquestionably an addictive substance.

Jk

3 Likes