Timboteo March Portfolio review

First of all, this is my second portfolio review. The first was under my original username of which I just changed to protect the innocent.

I retired December 2012, and was up big in 2013, not sure of the % though, then I was way down in 2014, 2015, and 2016 … until I found Saul’s board.
I then ended up slightly in 2016. In 2017 I was up 30.54%, 2018 up 23.68% (when the S&P ended down 6.25%). 2019 YTD I’m up 34.66% (on 3/21 I was up 40.04%).

Absolutely life changing.

I made 567 trades in 2018 @ $4.99 a trade. I had said I’m very ok with that. $2,900 on trades is nothing compared to what this board has made for me. However, I had a goal to reduce the amount of trading, and to be more patient. YTD I’ve made 213 trades. Obviously I’m way off my mark and unfortunately on pace to break my 2018 record.

I’m in what everyone else is in; i.e. TWLO, AYX, TTD, etc. with the exception of PAYC which was an old MF pick that I’ve been in for years and has always been good to me. Apparently, I had been in this SaaS investment before SaaS took over our world.

It depends on the day, but today my allocations are:

Twilio	17.09%
Alteryx	14.37%
TTD	13.65%
Zscaler	13.02%
Okta	11.78%
MongoDB	4.37%
Paycom	4.24%
Square	4.19%
GH	3.00%
Elastic	2.55%
SMAR	2.15%
Cash    9.58

Being retired, I really am extremely busy but I still find too much time to watch the markets. Meaning, watching CNBC about 2 hours a day and looking at my portfolio 4 times or more a day. It’s exciting because you all are making me so much money. However, my portfolio does its best when I’m not at home.
I tell everyone (like my investment club) not to time the markets, yet I do. For example, I take profits on TWLO all the time only to buy it back higher later. Hence one reason for the large number of trades I do. I sold NEWR for a loss and contributed to doing our board’s thing with NTNX and MDB (but at least I did have some shares when MDB spiked big time). I keep track of all my trades in Excel and just now sorted this year’s trades by ticker.
I traded ABMD, ADBE, AMT, and CRM twice each (selling some holdings I had from previous MF recommendations), APPN once, AYX, GH, and DOCU 11 times each, ESTC 17 times, MDB 18 times, NTNX 20 times, SQ 14 times, TWLO 23 times, and so it goes.

I get into a position 100 shares at a time which is another reason I have so many trades (versus buying a full position at once). I assume most people do that? I get out of a position 200 or 300 shares at a time when I attempt to ‘take profits’ (only to race back in many times later it seems). I know, I should see a psychiatrist now that I can finally afford to see one :blush:

I realize you won’t get much from reading my portfolio review but as someone said, write it down and you might learn from it. Hopefully I have.

Sincerely, thanks to all of you.

Timboteo

28 Likes

Timboteo,

I try not to post on this board unless I am convinced it I can offer significant value but your post begged for some feedback.

Everyone has their own investing style. For me, it feels like you’re a little over focused on your investments and behaving more like a trader than an investor.

watching CNBC about 2 hours a day and looking at my portfolio 4 times or more a day. It’s exciting because you all are making me so much money. However, my portfolio does its best when I’m not at home.
I tell everyone (like my investment club) not to time the markets, yet I do. For example, I take profits on TWLO all the time only to buy it back higher later. Hence one reason for the large number of trades I do

Perhaps you should take up pickleball or learn a new language? :blush:

Although in my opinion and by your own admission your excessive trades might be hurting your performance, the one piece of advice I would strongly recommend you follow is to go to your broker and ask for lower commissions. TDA and Schwab are both very responsive to these requests, particularly if you have a bigger portfolio or you share the number of trades you make a year! Schwab gave me free trades for ten years for accounts for my whole family, including my adult daughters.

Or consider switching to Interactive Brokers.

Just my two cents.

David

10 Likes

Tim,

Have you also added taxes into the cost equation of your transactions?

Thanks for sharing. Takes a lot to admit our weaknesses.

I bet your performance would increase almost 1.5x - 2x if you cut your trading by 10x - 20x. Try it for 6 months and see what happens?

Thanks for the write up. Keep it up!

1 Like