Time Machine icon has disappeared from lower dock?

My Time Machine icon has disappeared form my lower dock. How do I get it back? Using Sonoma 14.3.1 on MBPro. Have gone to System Setings, Control Center selected “show Time Machine icon on menu bar” as advised by Dr. Google, have rebooted machine, gone to TM options etc…no joy…any ideas?

just received answer from Apple Support communities, if anyone is interested this is how I got it back on my dock: Open a Finder window and navigate to the Applications folder.

Find the Time Machine app and drag it into position on the Dock and release it.

The TM icon will now live in the Dock again.

Please see: Use the Dock on Mac - Apple Support

1 Like

Good to know that you can simply drag apps into the dock to place them there!

I’ve never seen my Time Machine in the dock, it’s always been on top in the row of icons on the right. I rarely use it, it runs on its own every hour, and I only click it to check if a backup is done before doing a system update. And every few years (10 years sometimes), I use it to restore everything to my new macbook during setup.

1 Like

I have TM in the menubar. Checkbox in the TM Preferences

The Captain

1 Like

Another way is to start the app which puts the icon temporarily in the dock. Then use the ‘keep in dock’ option

keep in dock

The Captain

I moved it to dock as described in advice from Apple Spt Community. So its there now. Interesting when I click on it now, newly sitting on dock, it no longer gives me the option to “keep in dock”, (as it used to) still shows the option to remove though…very strange, but as long as its there, I’m happy.

TM also normally appears up in your Menu Bar as a little clock, the drop down lets you One or Backup, but it doesn’t hurt to have it elsewhere, too…

1 Like

yep, my problem is solved. It (the clock icon) disappeared from my lower dock. I have no idea why however its back now. thx

1 Like

It’s a toggle switch, like a light switch, you can’t turn on a light that is already lit, you can only turn it off. :sweat_smile:

The Captain

1 Like

Yep, but the toggle switch is no longer there lol - doesn’t matter I’m happy just to get the ™ icon back in my lower dock. Thx

Sometimes “Remove from Dock” is there in the first menu, but when there are many menu items, it is inside “Options”.

Right clicking, or Option+clicking on the Dock Icons shows the alternate menus…

1 Like

I don’t know about ancient MacOS history, but since 2009 I do not think a default normal install of MacOS put a TimeMachine icon in the dock. My guess is either TM use in the Original Poster’s Dock predates 2009 (Snow Leopard) or it happened by some user action - which might be at the direction of Tech Support.

Tuni seems happy now and that is what really matters.

3 Likes

I don’t mean the alternate menus done by Option+click. I mean this, see photo below.

1 Like