Treating aging as a disease may extend health longer

One thing that is underdone by seniors is protein.

Not trying to guess what anyone else is eating here but protein for seniors is also like hydrating for seniors easily ignored when it should not be.

iampops5 points to a fascinating article that provides substantial scientific (NEJM) evidence of the potential dangers of modern three meals a day feeding.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmra1905136
(free but you have to go through a short rigamarole)

We evolved as animals that ate irregularly. Living in imitation of what our genes expected is a good idea. Small scale fasting is potent medicine.

david fb

2 Likes

Here’s another pdf of the article…

DB2

1 Like

Well, I don’t think it’s quite so much the 3 meals a day … or the timing, come to that…so much as the size of 'em and what else is consumed as part of the day’s rations.

The first time my parents visited us from England in about 1989 or so, my dad remarked pretty quickly that he’d never seen so many very fat people in one place (and that place was Long Island…not exactly the fat capital of the US!) And that they seemed to eat one meal a day … from sun-up to sundown!

Human studies on IF…or more accurately Time Restricted Feeding, if it’s a time window within a 24 hour period…work very well when compared with something close to what my dad observed, not so unequivocal when compared with isocaloric/lean eating.

You might want to read the article before commenting further.

The conclusions of fasting studies do not at all have to be right. Take with plenty of salt. LOL

We can as a species study and prove anything. And by all means we do prove literally anything.

Actually I have…and did at the time of publication. I don’t pass comment on studies unless I’ve had a read and a think…I learned the value of that as a new dentalstudenta full half century ago (0along with making sure I know something about the topic under discussion) As you can imagine, this is exactly the sort of publication that hits the newswires with a press release appearing in the popular press. It was discussed a fair bit on the H&N board which prompted me to explore what the current literature in human clinical trials had to say…along with actual peer review of the primary document (yeah, dh has a subscription to the NEJM)

As it happens, by the time of publication, I was well familiar with the various iterations of these diets. I say “these diets” because the authors include a few different styles under the umbrella of IF. Time Restricted Feeding (what you’re doing) 5:2 fasting (an iteration of Michael Mosley’s 5:2 Fast diet) along with true intermittent fasting…a few days of just water (which most mimics a lot of the rodent research behind these diets) Books on all of these are either on my “nutrition library” shelves or I’ve gotten from the real library. Heck, I’ve even given some a test drive to see how doable they might be for someone over the long haul.

Just to say, though, that I wasn’t dismissing the value of these diets…especially to you as there is some tangible benefit. Thing is, although you’ve said that the “only” change is with accountability over your eating time frame and exercise. Consistently and over an extended period, right? Believe it or not, in the arena of behaviour change … particularly as it relates to diet and exercise … is a Really Big Thing and is generally the foundation for success. I’m a “minor adjustment” person myself and I’m pretty convinced that small scale change that’s maintained over the long term is what gets meaningful gains. Not unlike steady consistent savings and harnessing the power of compound interest.

1 Like

Without knocking the thinking behind, and strategy of, the study, I think there’s something to this thought. We in the USA have seen markedly expanded obesity rates over the past half century or so and throughout that whole period, we have been on the ‘3 meal a day’ diet. What has changed is the magnificence of the portions and the additional frequency in snacking throughout the day. The McD sandwich is the poster food: A Look at How McDonald's Portion Sizes Have Grown From 1955 to Today | First We Feast

I can see fasting and irregular dieting affecting overall health for the better, but supersizing (whether it’s called that or not) everything, as we have done in the US, has its effect, too.

Pete

3 Likes

Yeah. Also add “transportability” to the menu (no pun intended) You can walk around any mall…yes, even here in “lean” Colorado…and see lumberjack sized portions (Calorie wise) being carried and eaten very conveniently at, say 10.30 in the morning and the **food court is full also.

** I remember when a “court” used to conjure up images of a tennis court or basketball court … not a place where the primary activity was guzzling.

It’s not just the US. If dad were to be resurrected after close to 30 years, he’d be treated to similar visions in England to what greeted him here. We’ve noticed it creeping up on our trips back. Just about this time last year (when our trip included a few days at a specialty hepatology meeting where dh was presenting a paper, ironically enough, on NAFLD and its impact on that organ…and, indirectly liver transplant numbers) we arrived at Heathrow and got into a big elevator with 10 other people. All English from their accents and all lean. I actually remarked when we got out that you wouldn’t see that in the US. Well, we didn’t see much more during our trip there, either after that. Depressingly, affecting youngsters almost as much as here … which really does not bode well for the future.

I used to call childhood dental caries the ultimate “gift that keeps on giving” … I think that’s soon going to be overtaken by obesity and its sequelae (if it’s not happened already) :worried:

I noticed the difference at a buffet in London about 30 years ago. In the US, a buffet is generally “all you can eat” for a flat price. At the London buffet, if you wanted more, each trip through was another expense to pay.

One of the things about dining out in the US that they weren’t used in England (based on their once-in-a-blue-moon dining out experiences) was that it was totally acceptable to take what you hadn’t eaten home. No need to pretend it was for the dog. Dad made the perfectly reasonable observation that there was no excuse for all the fatness around when you didn’t have to overeat in a restaurant to feel you were getting your money’s worth because you could take leftovers home and feed yourself for a week. Doesn’t seem to work like that for a good many

What changed the most is the average age went up. You heard that correlation first here from me.

The age increase leaves more people susceptible to weigh gain.

So why are youngster getting more obese as of the last ten plus years? Young people mimic older people’s behaviors. You heard that here from me first.

Both items are obvious practical theory and never studied as of yet.

Really big thing…

That’s a problem alright

I do not offer this in person when discussing noom and I tell people I won’t go into how noom works. It has to be their own experience.

Nooms success rate is extremely high about 8%.

Want some Prozac?