Troubled times @ Tesla?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/just-got-laid-off-dream-13371…
I just got laid off from my dream job at Tesla without warning. I feel like my life got uprooted so a billionaire could save some money.

I feel like my life got uprooted so a billionaire could save some money.

Welcome to the world Sparky.

Steve

3 Likes

The fellow was made redundant by AI video labeling. He used to hire the people who did that now obsolete job.

Cnut on tides, “The tide of progress is unstoppable.”

The Captain

1 Like

I just got laid off from my dream job at Tesla without warning. I feel like my life got uprooted so a billionaire could save some money.

Clearly doesn’t understand how the job market and companies work. And the billionaire part doesn’t matter; he could have been laid off from a small startup or one of those shipping/packing stores.

Hopefully he’ll recover (and be a little wiser).

DB2

2 Likes

I just got laid off from my dream job at Tesla without warning.

That’s how things happen in America usually. Some may remember I used to work for Arm before moving to Nvidia in May. Arm, a British semiconductor IP company who doesn’t actually makes chips, went through a large layoff back in March. Watching this happen from the European standpoint was odd. Our CEO pre-announced in early March that by the end of the month 12-15% of us would be gone. I found that very odd to pre-announce like that. Especially given “record profits, record revenue”. My LinkedIn profile started getting hit by recruiters as you can imagine. I survived the layoff though 2 on my team did not, but got an offer I could not turn down anyway. Blame me for part of the wage inflation going on.

The 2 laid off were in Britain, and British laws about this are strange. It appears that 6 were put “at risk” and that only 2 of those jobs would remain. There is then a process about which 4 will go in that event. It does not happen quick. I know at least 1 of those people simply found another job during that time. As an American I did not understand the process but to them it’s old hat. More strange than the fact that two of the 6 people were on my team is that my team had also just hired in 2 outside people, and neither of them were at-risk. And overall, the company was, and still is, hiring. It was a company that at one point I wanted to retire from, but this and other things changed that view.

You can only be so loyal to your employer. Anything beyond a little is a detriment to your future and your earnings.

5 Likes

Some may remember I used to work for Arm before moving to Nvidia in May.

ARM was a favorite investment of mine util it was swallow up by Softbank

1999: https://softwaretimes.com/files/armhy.html
2011: https://softwaretimes.com/files/arm+holdings+armh.html

Talk about volatility! Late in September 2002 it dropped 60% in one trading day! i doubled my position. :wink:

The Captain

1 Like

I just got laid off from my dream job at Tesla without warning.

For sure sad for anyone who loses a job.
But is the title of the article a little click-baity?

Didn’t Musk announce a month or two before him being laid off that 10% of salaried employees would be let go? Does that count as a warning?

Also, this person is a recruiter. If he’s a good recruiter he would, maybe, understand what happens when layoffs are announced to be coming.

Mike