TTD Earnings...

https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17506022-trade-desk-reports-firs…

Mr. Green added: “In 2019, we are off to a great start. The biggest brands in the world continue to shift their advertising spending to programmatic through our platform. As a result, we are raising our 2019 revenue guidance to be at least $645 million. At the same time, we are continuing to make large investments in areas critical to our future. We now expect our adjusted EBITDA to be $188.5 million for 2019. The secular tailwind of programmatic is strong. Our focus is on gaining share and revenue growth, as this will ultimately maximize profitability over the long-term.”

12 Likes

Prepared remarks available here
https://thetradedesk.gcs-web.com/static-files/8e3f05e2-e8d6-…

Q1 Presentation here
https://thetradedesk.gcs-web.com/static-files/fdc7507b-207c-…

7 Likes

Did anyone listen to the call this morning? Key points?

I’m reading the word “beat” everywhere and I see down 13,5%. What did I miss?

I sold my SMAR and bought half TTD at 12% down and the other half at 15% down. Already have a lot of TTD.

Revenue growth dropped from 56% to 41% that’s a massive drop. Not sure what the guidance for growth looks like but this wasn’t the sandbagging I was expecting.

This is leaving Shopify’s 50% growth looking near the TOP of the leaderboard - seems everyone has sooner or later experienced a growth pull back.

40%+ is now the new 50%+ and 30%+ is becoming the new 40%+

A

12 Likes

“ I sold my SMAR and bought half TTD at 12% down and the other half at 15% down. Already have a lot of TTD.”

Moneyslob,
What’s your hurry to buy more TTD.

The drop from 54% to 41% is a pretty massive drop. The stock was trading as if plus 50% was in the cards for the next three years.

This market is ugly and getting uglier quickly. I think there will be better opportunities to buy, but why not wait for the dust to settle.

I was worried and started raising cash last week and this week. My main concern is not the China tariffs but all this rush to bring cloud companies to market and their overpriced IPOs. I think that was and is a very bad indication of some sort of top.

1 Like

I agree…short term correction is healthy 5-10% pullback. You should check out TEAM 52 week high and moving higher in this awful market. More work to do to understand catalyst. Own a little today.

This sharp drop in rev growth rate is a concern. Jeff has constantly said that TTD has a massive TAM. Maybe the highest of our companies and programmatic is growing rapidly. I think it grew 21% last year when TTD grew 50%. Then how does one explain the drop in growth rate? Did programmatic slow down or is TTD facing competition from others in this space? I will try to read the CC later this week. Would like to hear other’s ideas.

1 Like

Moneyslob,
What’s your hurry to buy more TTD.

Heh heh. Wild hair I guess.

I was worried and started raising cash last week and this week. My main concern is not the China tariffs but all this rush to bring cloud companies to market and their overpriced IPOs. I think that was and is a very bad indication of some sort of top.

Well, the negative reaction by a spoiled market has been happening since middle of last year, with no negative results on my long term holdings. I had a small position of SMAR and it has been in the red since I bought it and TDD has been belly belly good to me over the last year and a half. So. . . not a lot of money gambled and I appreciate being questioned.

John
Who is still a work in progress.

1 Like

This sharp drop in rev growth rate is a concern. Jeff has constantly said that TTD has a massive TAM. Maybe the highest of our companies and programmatic is growing rapidly. I think it grew 21% last year when TTD grew 50%. Then how does one explain the drop in growth rate? Did programmatic slow down or is TTD facing competition from others in this space? I will try to read the CC later this week. Would like to hear other’s ideas.

Google growth slowed. They became a beast on display (desktop) ad rev.
TTD focuses on audio, mobile, intl, and ctv. data also. All those channels appeared up over 50% y/y.

So the likely culprit, imo, is that the portion of TTD rev that was/is still tied to legacy desktop/display ads also was down, similar to what Google has seen. No shocker to that.

The disappointment is that the other channels growth didn’t pick up the slack enough.
The new normal may be 41-42% y/y type growth and profitable. As such, they probably won’t trade at a TWLO or MDB type P/S, and instead more in-line with something like NOW.

That limits upside potentially for this year, but unless growth drops further in 2020/2021, the stock should appreciate in tandem with rev growth over those 2 years, making for nice gains. Got a bit ahead of itself in this frothy Zoom-silly market.

With China not even producing revenue yet, having just come out of beta, with EMEA growth expected per the call today over the next 6 years, with CTV growing, audio strong, mobile strong, I think there is a good chance growth could re-accelerate at end of the year. At the very least, I don’t think it drops further into the 30s.

Dreamer

27 Likes
I think its important not to overreact to one quarter.

Here are the rev. growth rates:

2017  76  54  50  42
2018  61  54  50  56
2019  41

No trend of slowing growth yet.

TTD has shown revenue variability in the past.

If last years growth was 51%, so this year was 51% also, the stock would probably be up on the same revenue number.

I don't see any change in the business, but I haven't reviewed the call yet.

Jim
8 Likes

is that why- growth fell from 56 to 41%?

you think the market doesn’t look at their guidance? which came in as expected.

well SHOP kept on rising despite ‘decelerating growth’.

TTD is a 20% surcharge to the cost of the ad. Big brands may want to find a way around that

This is another case of a company CEO touting tremendous growth in categories of business that are too small to drive the business. Such as how large CTV business is with this 1000% growth sort of thing.

It is also a matter of TTD getting large enough that it is not taking marketshare in as large of droves anymore in its traditional desktop Google competition like business. Instead it is growing more in line (but still faster as it still takes marketshare) than the market itself, which is slowing. I was very curious if that would be the case, and sure enough it is.

Other aspects of the business are what most investors are investing in anyways. I think online and mobile video is something that TTD can be as dominant in as it is in its desktop Google business. But that market is still growing. Perhaps 5G makes it explode, but that is still a few years away.

As for CTV, I have said it many times, the targeting is just less a value add in this segment. Thus the take from the ads will be less. There is just not enough ad supply to target CTV viewers with precise ads like you see online. And to date, as an avid streamer on ad supported programming, the targeting has been no better than the random targeting you see on traditional TV.

Worse, except for the CW, most streaming ad channels do not even always have inventory to fill their programming. Hulu will often have near to total ad free presentations (such as Gotham often ended up being). Any many times you will only see one or two ads over and over again. CW, that sells its own inventory, I believe uses its traditional TV ads business to fill its streaming of its show ad inventory. And it works for them. There is no difference between what you see on air and streaming in regard to ad delivery.

Thus, not surprising at all to see revenue slow down. At some point other aspects of the business may get large enough and remain explosively growing to make a big difference. I am particularly high on the streaming video ad business, as this is already a proven popular media and ads can be as targeted as they are now on traditional web surfing. I am less confident in how lucrative and how much CAP you can have in CTV because of the inherent ad supply issue making concise targeting not practical. Better than over the air, yes. But you just cannot get to the point that TTD has gotten in other formats in regard to targeting, and thus less differentiation of their product, and lower margins for their product.

My opinion anyways, and I have expressed it or the last year.

This said, it is TTD, it has a very long-term path for growth. And it should be a leading player in multiple new and massive media trends. Therefore, I’m not real concerned about today’s stock results. I will get concerned if TTD just becomes another player. That is not the case today. They have to be their industry’s leader, and if they remain so, I see no reason just to practice doing nothing here.

Tinker

60 Likes

Btw,

Compare TTD results with Roku. Roku is accelerating their business.

Tinker

3 Likes

So they have slowed growth before and reaccelerated. Maybe not surprising that revenue may be somewhat lumpy. I’d still give them a chance to bounce back into the 50’s as they have done each of the last 2 years for Q2 and Q3.

1 Like

40%+ is now the new 50%+ and 30%+ is becoming the new 40%+

For TTD, this quarter’s growth is a lot lower, making 40% the new 60%. It reflects the slowest growth rate and the biggest drop in percentage points that has occurred in the last 5 quarters.

Rev	Mar	Jun	Sep	Dec	Tot
2015	18.0	24.3	28.8	42.7	113.6
2016	30.4	47.2	53.0	72.4	202.9
2017	53.4	72.8	79.4	102.6	308.2
2018	85.7	112.3	118.8	160.5	477.3
2019	**121.0**							

Grth	Mar	Jun	Sep	Dec	Tot			
2016	69.2%	94.5%	84.1%	69.7%	78.6%
2017	75.6%	54.3%	50.0%	41.7%	51.9%
2018	60.6%	54.3%	49.6%	56.4%	54.9%
2019	**41.2%**	

Points	Mar	Jun	Sep	Dec	Tot
2017	6.5%	-40.3%	-34.1%	-28.1%	-26.7%
2018	-15.1%	0.0%	-0.4%	14.7%	3.0%
2019	**-19.3%**	

However, if we put this into perspective, this may not last very long. Last year’s Q1 drop was also pretty significant, only to be reversed in Q4. Also, all of 2017 showed big drops in growth as well. If Green can execute on becoming the standard in programatic advertising and if CTV takes off as expected, we very well could see growth accelerate again this year.

I’m listening to the call as I write this. Without the benefit of reading the transcript, I sense a heightened level of (analyst) fear regarding Google’s privacy changes and how it may impact TTD. Green sees the changes as a positive. But there is some additional level of uncertainty introduced as a result.

Also, Green mentioned that, at this time, he’s unhappy about the company’s ability to invest in growth and that he’s constrained by wanting to preserve the company’s culture, which could suffer when pursuing growth too aggressively.

I’m at the end of the call now and Green didn’t seem to be completely on his game. He was stuttering quite a lot during the call and got so distracted near the end of the call (1:02:50 mark) that he forgot the question asked in the middle of providing the answer. I don’t think this means much. I just found it a bit strange for somebody I recall being so eloquent.

The market reacts when things aren’t perfect. We can probably explain today’s drop by looking the decrease in growth rate along with the additional uncertainty around Google’s security announcement and the big drop in markets today and algorithmic trading. Historical lumpy growth percentages are probably not a consideration for these folks.

Finally, I wonder if Saul will look at the growth percentage and get out like he did with Shopify or if he will begin to settle in with the good companies he owns and accept a slower rate of growth. We’ve had lower valuations with higher growth in the past.

DJ

36 Likes

I’m at the end of the call now and Green didn’t seem to be completely on his game. He was stuttering quite a lot during the call and got so distracted near the end of the call (1:02:50 mark) that he forgot the question asked in the middle of providing the answer. I don’t think this means much. I just found it a bit strange for somebody I recall being so eloquent.

On this particular topic, I noted that Jeff Green was in Germany visiting the TTD team there just a day or two ago, so I wonder if travel fatigue may have been at play.

volfan84
added some more TTD shares at $182.50 earlier this morning, TTD was already my top position

1 Like

He was stuttering quite a lot during the call and got so distracted near the end of the call (1:02:50 mark) that he forgot the question asked in the middle of providing the answer. I don’t think this means much. I just found it a bit strange for somebody I recall being so eloquent.

He stutters every CC…his speech patterns are different on reading prepared remarks and Q&A. No different than every other CC over past 2 years.

He is in London, thus the early CC time. Once the Q&A went past the hour mark since the CC began, someone literally walked into his conference room. Kind of funny, if you understand corporate life and conf room booking challenges. He then answered the question.

None of this has anything to do with the company though.

Dreamer

7 Likes