Tusla Remote Work Program

While we are bad mouthing certain parts of the country, isn’t the Northeast notoriously rude?

LOL. I think many of you should look in the mirror and ask yourself why you are so ignorant and judgmental.

3 Likes

inparadise,
thanks for the updated state vaccination rate. I had no idea what was what with that.

I decided to check out this thread since I was born in Chicago, lived up in that area until I was 12, then was transplanted by my father’s job to Atlanta. My father, who was from Minnesota, and stepmother, who was from Buffalo New York, were racists. Why I didn’t follow in their footsteps, I don’t know. Maybe it was rebellion over their disastrous lives.

I’ve lived in the south for almost 60 years. I’ve seen it all. I still live in Georgia. I don’t think we are any more racist than other places. (And I lived in Chicago and Washington DC area as an adult for a brief time, in southern California for a time as a teenager, which I hated). If I didn’t have family here in Georgia, I might try to live overseas, somewhere in Europe. I’d love to have a chance to live without a car, to go almost anywhere on a train.

Hello to MissEdithKeeler!
–Linda

While we are bad mouthing certain parts of the country, isn’t the Northeast notoriously rude?

I, personally, have not found that to be true.

If you look for the negative, that’s what you’re most likely to find.

2 Likes

Hello to MissEdithKeeler!
–Linda

Hey there!! I took my DBF to Cozy Corner a couple weeks ago and told him about meeting you there. Say hello to your daughter!

We like to think of ourselves as ‘brutally frank’!

And after reading this thread, I’m thinking all y’all need to be looking in a mirror.

JimA

4 Likes

Tulsa is large enough. They are probably reasonably cosmopolitan. Almost anyone can be home there and find what they need.

The most popular places to move tend to have oceans or mountains. That’s not Tulsa. But I would expect that fishing, hunting, hiking, biking, etc are as popular there as elsewhere.

Moving away from family and friends is not easy. In some communities people have been there for generations, everyone knows everyone, and many families are intermarried. Getting settled in those communities can be a challenge. It helps if you are married into one of the local clans.

I think military families have unique skills. They are used to moving every few years. They know how to get involved and make new friends. Those communities have a constant stream of new people arriving. That makes everyone more receptive to making new friends.

Of course, communities usually have a need for participants in their various activities. Many new comers make connections through church, school or various community organizations.

Moving is not for everyone, but you have to respect those who know how to make themselves at home.

1 Like

These are the 10 states with the lowest partial vaccination rates in the country, according to the most recent data:
Idaho (52.6%)
Mississippi (56.4%)
Wyoming (56.5%)
Louisiana (58.2%)
Indiana (58.6%)
Alabama (59.2%)
Tennessee (59.3%)
Ohio (61.2%)
Georgia (61.8%)
Montana (62.4%)

There are 13 Southern states, and 50 United States. 5/10 least vaccinated are in the Sourh. Do the percentages.

Fattest US states (adults):

1 Mississippi
39.7%
2 West Virginia
39.1%
3 Alabama
39.0%
4 Louisiana
38.1%
5 Indiana
36.8%
6 Kentucky
36.6%
7 HDelaware
36.5%
7 Iowa
36.5%
9 Arkansas
36.4%
9 Oklahoma
36.4%
11 South Carolina
36.2%
12 Texas
35.8%
13 Tennessee

Do the math.

Least educated states: 2020 stats)

1 Mississippi 21.01

2 West Virginia 23.93

3 Louisiana 25.45

4 Arkansas 29.45

5 Alabama 3146

6 Kentucky 33.13

7 South Carolina 36.06

8 Nevada 36.18

9 New Mexico 37.21

10 Tennessee 37.78

It is not bias if it is backed up by facts and figures.

MEK took offense to my joke… well here it is, explained, and hence no longer funny.

All “y’all” who defended the Southern culture did not refute, and cannot refute, any of these facts.

13 Likes

And that’s funny too.

I find it funny that you can to a conclusion for my reasons without asking. You seem to be think you are a good mind reader.

PSU

You would have to juice the offer a lot more than $10K to get me to move there. Especially when I can live in CA or CO or HI or any other (nicer) place. Quality of life matters.

I lived in Oklahoma City for two years and could have stayed there happily, except that I hated my job. I had moved there from Boston and left there for Los Angeles. Work was better elsewhere, but quality of life, overall, was not.

Oklahoma City is culturally somewhat different from Tulsa, not quite as Southern, but that wasn’t what mattered. In Oklahoma, perhaps because most people grew up poor and many still are, they look out for one another. If your car breaks down, someone will stop to help. Probably several people will stop to help. In Boston they will blast their horns and give you the finger; in Los Angeles they will blast their horns and give you the finger, too, but if your car blocks traffic they might get out and shoot you, not ask whether you need a jump start.

In New England, it’s painfully common for old people to be found dead in their homes, often dead for a long time. In OKC neighbors would notice. New Englanders, to use a British phrase, “keep themselves to themselves.” This is nice if you want privacy, not so nice when you need help.

7 Likes

Where are your links?

IP

"Oklahoma City is culturally somewhat different from Tulsa, not quite as Southern, but that wasn’t what mattered. In Oklahoma, perhaps because most people grew up poor and many still are, they look out for one another. If your car breaks down, someone will stop to help. Probably several people will stop to help. In Boston they will blast their horns and give you the finger; in Los Angeles they will blast their horns and give you the finger, too, but if your car blocks traffic they might get out and shoot you, not ask whether you need a jump start.

In New England, it’s painfully common for old people to be found dead in their homes, often dead for a long time. In OKC neighbors would notice. New Englanders, to use a British phrase, “keep themselves to themselves.” This is nice if you want privacy, not so nice when you need help."

This is so bonkers and idiotic and so beyond the pale; you may be the very first person I put on ‘ignore’.

How do you live with yourself with this kind of attitude and total ignorance.

A nattering nabob of negativity.

I apologize to others for my brutal frankness!!

JimA

2 Likes

Fattest US states (adults):

knighttof3

Here is a link showing obesity by state. Scroll to the bottom for the chart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_the_United_States

"The long-running REGARDS study, published in the journal of Obesity in 2014, brought in individuals from the nine census regions and measured their height and weight. The data collected disagreed with the data in the CDC’s phone survey used to create the following chart. REGARDS found that the West North Central region (North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, and Iowa), and East North Central region (Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana) were the worst in obesity numbers, not the East South Central region (Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky) as had been previously thought.[77"

Ignoring the territories, (the highest obesity rate is American Samoa (75% obese and 95% overweight); West Virginia is the highest at 38.1%, Colorado is the lowest at 22.6%.

That is a 15.5% spread (pun intended). Not all that much.

gcr

1 Like

JimA759s writes,

<<<TchrP: In New England, it’s painfully common for old people to be found dead in their homes, often dead for a long time. In OKC neighbors would notice. New Englanders, to use a British phrase, “keep themselves to themselves.” This is nice if you want privacy, not so nice when you need help.">>>

This is so bonkers and idiotic and so beyond the pale; you may be the very first person I put on ‘ignore’.

Not really. I grew up in Connecticut. There was an old lady down the black who’d been dead over a month when they found her.

I thought the mailman was supposed to notify authorities when the US Mail starts to pile up? Maybe she cancelled the “junk mail”.

intercst

"Not really. I grew up in Connecticut. There was an old lady down the black who’d been dead over a month when they found her.

I thought the mailman was supposed to notify authorities when the US Mail starts to pile up? Maybe she cancelled the “junk mail”.

intercst"

One case makes it common? This is an anecdote. Maybe she never got any mail?

I get so sad reading the comments. I’m not sure any of you are actually reading what you write.

JimA

6 Likes

You’re both wrong. Mine is the only opinion that matters.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was certain that my opinion was the not one that matters. Posters here at TMF make that clear to me on a daily basis. :slight_smile:

I miss a lot of my good friends and colleagues back in NC, but I don’t miss the “culture” or the food. While you can find good food choices anywhere I have traveled in this world, most of what passes for great “Southern cooking” was not among those choices. There was an awful lot of deep fat frying and so much sugar. If they could find a way to deep fat fry sugar cubes, that would be their signature meal.

2 Likes

Where are your links?

IP

Adult obesity: https://stateofchildhoodobesity.org/adult-obesity/

Education: https://www.asumag.com/research/top-10s/article/21122683/the…

1 Like

PS to somewhat echo Nessie the Bruce - if you are not white, and not willing to be a “model minority” always deferring to the Superior Race, the South is not for you. The casual prejudices will eat at you from inside.

5 Likes

Hey there!! I took my DBF to Cozy Corner a couple weeks ago and told him about meeting you there. Say hello to your daughter!

I’ll try to remember to tell her. She’s at work. In China. So it’s 10am there right now.

I wasn’t sure if you knew that she is in China now. You and I don’t usually hang out on the same boards. And I left the boards for months last year.

I don’t know why I’m back
:disguised_face: :thinking: :cowboy_hat_face: :mask: :stuck_out_tongue:
–Linda

1 Like

If they could find a way to deep fat fry sugar cubes, that would be their signature meal.

https://cookiesandcups.com/deep-fried-oreos/

1 Like

These obesity and education stats just point out which are poorer states – which we all already knew – it’s not proof of anything else.

2 Likes