UBNT News: Another $200 Million Authorized

On November 8, 2017, the Board of Directors (the “Board”) of Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. (the “Company”) approved a $50 million stock repurchase program (the “November Program”). On February 6, 2018, the Board approved an additional $150 million stock repurchase program (the “February Program”, together with the November Program, the “Prior Programs”). As of March 12, 2018, the Company had $7,241,024.28 available under the Prior Programs.

They got rid of over 96% of these authorizations and now have another. I don’t know what was left prior to the latest dip.

On March 13, 2018, the Board approved a new $200 million stock repurchase program (the “New Program”). Under the New Program, the Company may repurchase up to $200 million of its common stock. The New Program expires on June 30, 2019.

http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/ubiquiti_networks_inc/SEC…

Pera is pretty aggressive with the authorizations. He’s been really good at choosing when to repurchase in the past. It’s nice to see him take advantage of the SEC inquiry and signal that he thinks the stock price is another good time to buy. Or maybe it’s preparation for the next unforeseen event.

DJ

4 Likes

Very interesting. It somewhat fuels my thoughts that Pera would like to take Ubiquiti private in a relatively accelerated manner…of course he then also has that billion dollar basketball team hanging out there that he has to decide whether to take further control of or to let go. I posted the link below yesterday here on the board, but I will post it here too for convenience and since I’m not sure how many folks might have paid attention to it yesterday.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2018/03/12/sources-…

IF, Pera decides to sell his stake in the Grizzlies at this time, that would give him upwards of $300M of personal cash if I’m not mistaken that he could likely use to buy back shares for himself.

Prior to hitting the submit message button for this post, I have gone and purchased April 20 2018 $75 UBNT call options (Tinker, this is one of those times I have felt compelled to do something).

Also, for convenience, here is the text of the SEC filing, with important aspect bolded for emphasis:

On November 8, 2017, the Board of Directors (the “Board”) of Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. (the “Company”) approved a $50 million stock repurchase
program (the “November Program”). On February 6, 2018, the Board approved an additional $150 million stock repurchase program (the “February Program”,
together with the November Program, the “Prior Programs”). As of March 12, 2018, the Company had $7,241,024.28 available under the Prior Programs.

On March 13, 2018, the Board approved a new $200 million stock repurchase program (the “New Program”). Under the New Program, the Company may
repurchase up to $200 million of its common stock. The New Program expires on June 30, 2019. As part of the New Program, shares may be purchased from time
to time, depending upon market conditions, in open market transactions, including through block purchases, through privately negotiated transactions, or pursuant
to any trading plan that may be adopted in accordance with Rule 10b5-1 of the Exchange Act. The timing, manner, price and amount of any repurchases will be
determined in the Company’s discretion and the New Program may be suspended, terminated or modified at any time for any reason. The New Program does not
obligate the Company to acquire any specific number of shares, and all open market repurchases will be made in accordance with Rule 10b-18 of the Exchange
Act, which sets certain restrictions on the method, timing, price and volume of open market stock repurchases.

Only a bit over $7M remained of previous authorization. This shows that UBNT repurchases have been a pretty huge driver of the price recovery, but another $200M definitely screams that they aren’t quite done yet. Listen out for news about the Grizzlies ownership situation as that could very quickly turn this $200M buyback authorization into a $500-600M buyback essentially with Pera boosting his buying power substantially if he decides to sell (which I am definitely rooting for at this time).

2 Likes

It somewhat fuels my thoughts that Pera would like to take Ubiquiti private in a relatively accelerated manner.

Maybe I’m thinking about it wrong, but to me, if Pera wanted to take it private, he wouldn’t be authorizing share buybacks by the company, he’d let the price fall so he personally, or with friends could buy the whole company at a cheap price.

Saul

4 Likes

Maybe I’m thinking about it wrong, but to me, if Pera wanted to take it private, he wouldn’t be authorizing share buybacks by the company, he’d let the price fall so he personally, or with friends could buy the whole company at a cheap price.

Saul

You may be right, but another way of thinking of the company buybacks are each share that is retired causes his present %-age ownership stake to increase.

For some quick, dirty math: Today’s newly authorized $200M could buy about 2.86 million shares at $70/share (which won’t be available as the buybacks will likely drive the price higher, probably to an average of $75-80, I would guess). Assuming an average of $77/share for the buyback, that would retire 2.6 million shares. Pera owns about 58 or 59 million of the 77.7 million shares. If it is 58 million, that is 74.6% of the company. Retire those 2.6M and 58/75.1 = 77.2% of the company. At that point, the market price of the shares may have been driven up to $82/share so the remaining 17.1 million shares would have a market value of about $1.4B. Compare that to the need to buy back 19.7 million shares at $70/share, or $1.38B…well, looks like you may have an excellent point, Saul :slight_smile:

Who knows what Pera will do…I do know that the financial statements they have filed show nice cash generation that seems to be being proven true by actually buying back shares.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong but won’t he control the company anyway? Buy shares with company money but control them through majority ownership at no personal expense? Also who is to say that he isn’t also adding shares on his own time also?

Also who is to say that he isn’t also adding shares on his own time also?

SEC Form 4’s would have to be filed.

Looking at the UBNT investor relations page, I see…a Form 4 from 3/8/2018.
http://ir.ubnt.com/financial/sec-filings

It was for Benjamin Moore, VP BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT.

He acquired 1,354,927 shares and sold 582,497 to leave him with 772,430. Presumably, the sales were mostly to pay taxes for the other shares. $50M worth of shares remaining isn’t too shabby. There’s probably more info about this exercise of stock options if anyone is interested in digging for it.

The last Form 4 before that was from 8/30/2017 when Robert Pera sold 1,000,000 shares.

From 3/13 at about 2:00 pm:
Prior to hitting the submit message button for this post, I have gone and purchased April 20 2018 $75 UBNT call options (Tinker, this is one of those times I have felt compelled to do something).

Here on 3/20, it appears that there was a purchase of about 112,000 shares right as the market closed, on a day with total volume of about 311,000 shares (still pretty light compared to the 10-day average of 512,000).

Guessing that big block was a UBNT buyback.

-volfan84
long UBNT (shares as well as January 2020 $70 & $85 calls and April 20 2018 $75 calls)

Apologies if the short-term observations relating to the share buybacks might be a bit off-topic for the board here…but the buyback authorization itself (and use of the prior authorization) provides a pretty good clue about the veracity of the prior Citron fraud claims and the associated SEC inquiry (i.e. that the fraud claims were apparently very flimsy).

1 Like

Vol,

Don’t let me stop you. My new conservative style has already had me watch several great things happen to others that I saw coming. But here I still sit…unstressed and no tax obligation. But I was once young! Okay, I probably look younger and in better shape now than even back then. Probably mostly due to lack of stress from stock playing!

But go for it. If compelled, indeed!

I am instead out for a brisk constitutional (ie, bike ride).

Tinker

Guessing that big block was a UBNT buyback.

Upon further review of the rules associated with buybacks, I think I was incorrect.
https://www.sec.gov/rules/final/33-8335.htm

Looking at the timing rule in the amendments to the rule, it appears that they aren’t allowed to buy back within the last 10 minutes of the trading day. There is a provision allowing after-hours trades, however, from my reading of this FAQ.
https://www.sec.gov/divisions/marketreg/r10b18faq0504.htm

So, if that big buy wasn’t UBNT buying back shares, I guess that could be even better than if it were them.

volfan84

Enjoy the bike ride, Tinker.

3 Likes

Not quite 2 months later, this subject line is applicable again.

With the $108 million remaining on the prior authorization, there is a total of $308M available for re-purchases at present. I mentioned it in this other thread with Skyworks in the subject line too: http://discussion.fool.com/skyworks-reports-2018-q2-results-3305…

New May 10th, 2018 Form 8-K that discusses the authorizations:

Seems to be fueling a bit of a short squeeze this morning (shares have gotten to above $81 this morning…they had dropped to as low as under $50 back on the day of the disclosure of the SEC inquiry).

1 Like

From the earnings conference call, on buybacks:

Link to transcript:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4172288-ubiquiti-networks-u…

Erik L. Suppiger - JMP Securities LLC
Yeah. Thanks for taking my question. I want to ask a few questions, one on the buyback. You’ve spent about $750 million on the buyback or more than that you just authorized another $200 million. You’ve talked about your interest in Teledyne (00:11:20) where they bought back 90% of their shares. Can you give us an update on what your goals are for your buyback? You’ve been very aggressive there and how you’re measuring your returns on that buyback?

Robert J. Pera - Ubiquiti Networks, Inc.
My goal is to use our cash or capital efficiently and I think as demonstrated by our past share buyback performance, it’s been a much better return on investment versus leaving the cash in the bank. We’re also always looking at acquisitions. The problem with acquisitions is we have such a unique culture that it’s going to be difficult to devote resources to cultural integration. And we’re much faster, in my opinion, growing new technology and new businesses organically. So it leaves, I guess, a good opportunity for us. We have cash on hand and if we feel the stock’s undervalued and we believe in our long-term prospects, it’s easy decision to use that cash to retire shares and improve our future EPS.

5 Likes

Seems to be fueling a bit of a short squeeze this morning (shares have gotten to above $81 this morning…they had dropped to as low as under $50 back on the day of the disclosure of the SEC inquiry).

Congrats volfan on a great day for UBNT. You’ve been one of the lone and steady proponents of this company and it has really paid off for you. Nice work.

Greg

2 Likes

Some updated thoughts on 5/25/2018 from observing recent UBNT price action:

It appears from the past few day’s pricing, that subsequent to the most recent earnings announcement Ubiquiti may now have the buybacks “turned on” for anything below $80/share. Looks like early in the day on Thursday 5/24/2018 that the price was supported at $80 from about 10:00 am until 11:15, after which it was above $80. Then today, it dropped to $79.99 for the low on the day, with the price having a rather flat floor at around $80.20 for the period from about 9:55 am until just a little before 11, after which the share price went quite a bit above $80/share.

There is still the risk of some type of FUD event for Ubiquiti, which is why I decreased my 2020 $70 calls position earlier today (after accidentally increasing it earlier in the week with a buy order that I meant to be a sell). But I am comfortable with my current position.

The buybacks being loaded might make selling puts attractive to some. Simply waiting to see if there is a short-term FUD event could present a decent buying opportunity if the share price were to get knocked down to $75 or less (which could conceivably never happen again for this company, if they continue executing over the long haul and have no FUD events within the next 2-3 quarters).

If there are any future UBNT FUD events, I will likely be chomping at the bit for an entry.

volfan84
long UBNT; long UBNT 2020 $70 calls

3 Likes