Update to my monthly summary

I thought I should give you an update as the events of the last week caused several changes in my portfolio.

First of all there has been a sell-off of high growth stocks, and subsequently I have about a minus 2% position in cash (or a 2% margin). With some of our companies having just spectacular results and selling off anyway, I tried to have every penny I had invested in them, and some pennies I didn’t have too. (And of course a 2% margin is of no danger, as I won’t get a margin call no matter what).

Next, Zscaler, Snowflake and Crowdstrike all announced results on Tuesday and Wednesday. Zscaler’s were great, Snowflake’s were beyond spectacular, and Crowdstrike’s were definitely showing signs of age and slowing down.

Here is what my positions looked like a week ago,

**.** 

**Datadog			19.7%**

**Cloudflare		16.0%**
**Upstart			15.6%**
**Monday			15.0%**

**ZoomInfo		10.4%**

**Zscaler			 8.1%**
**Crowdstrike		 7.6%**
**Amplitude	         6.8%**

**Snowflake		 1.0%**

And here is what they look like now.

**Datadog			21.0%**

**Monday			15.5%**

**Cloudflare		11.9%**
**Upstart			11.5%**
**Zscaler			10.6%**
**ZoomInfo		10.1%**
**Snowflake		 9.2%**

**Amplitude		 7.1%**
**Crowdstrike		 5.1%**

And here’s what I did and why.

Datadog – I didn’t touch it. It’s up a percent because it must have declined slightly less than the rest of my portfolio.

Monday – They had reported spectacular results again, just before last weekend, but also said that, because of this second quarterly report coming out, the IPO lockup period ended the next day. Two venture capitalist firms, who have a lot of shares at a very low cost basis, seem trying to sell every share they can before the end of the year. (I believe that I read that the state the two VC firms are domiciled in will add a capital gains tax in 2022. I haven’t checked that but it would explain their frantic selling pace, if true). I’ve been adding lots to Monday this week, at prices I never dreamed I’d see. The rise in percentage of my portfolio doesn’t come close to reflecting how much I’ve added as the price has been so pushed down by the sellers. I have taken it as a wonderful opportunity.

I reduced Cloudflare and Upstart from roughly 16.5% positions to roughly 11.5% positions. They are now in 3rd and 4th place, as Monday has pulled ahead of them.

Cloudflare because it’s just growing at 50%, is a story stock, and has risen in price a great deal, while the other stocks were growing by much higher percents, I didn’t think I needed 16.5% of it, and I needed cash to buy more of Zscaler, Monday and Snowflake.

And I reduced Upstart because it’s not SaaS, and doesn’t have recurring revenue, and is much more subject to the fortunes of the macro economy. I felt that 11.5% was plenty, and I needed more cash to buy more of Zscaler, Monday and Snowflake.

Zscaler reported excellent accelerating results and I increased the position size from 8.1% to 10.6%.

I added just a little to ZoomInfo during the week, simply because I see it as an under appreciated company that is doing very well. It’s down a couple of tenths of a percent to 10.1% because the price is down. The CEO of Snowflake put in a plug for ZoomInfo, and how Snow is using it, in the prepared remarks of Snowflake’s conference call. I was amazed.

Then we have Snowflake that went from a 1% position to a 9% position in a week after truly spectacular results and an even more spectacular conference call.

I didn’t touch my position in Amplitude and it’s a 7.1% position.

Finally Crowdstrike, which is changing apparently from a hypergrowth company to a very successful growth company, but with declining levels of growth. I reduced my position size from 7.6% to 5.1%, which is the smallest in my portfolio.

I hope that this has been interesting to you all,

Saul

340 Likes

Saul, you state in your Monday summary: “Two venture capitalist firms, who have a lot of shares at a very low cost basis, seem trying to sell every share they can before the end of the year. (I believe that I read that the state the two VC firms are domiciled in will add a capital gains tax in 2022. I haven’t checked that but it would explain their frantic selling pace, if true”

Isn’t it ZoomInfo the subject of that situation?, that was discussed here:

https://boards.fool.com/re-zoominfo-carlyle-group-and-ta-ass…

Maybe someone can clarify and confirm.

5 Likes

Thanks for the post Saul. The market is certainly going a little crazy here, with a huge sell-off of the fastest growing tech companies. I am taking this opportunity to add what I can on the pullback. I added to ZoomInfo, Upstart, Monday, and Amplitude on the pullbacks.

I’ll admit I am surprised by the significant selloff, which is largely being blamed on the jobs report (less job creation than expected), inflation and interest rates, and omicron variant in the news. I could care less about the job growth, as there are still millions of unfilled jobs on the books. Many organizations have 5,000+ open positions.

Interest rate hikes cause major tech selloffs for two reasons. The first is that the safer return of bonds is now slightly more attractive than it was previously. With these rapidly growing companies that we invest in, we are paying a premium for future earnings. Secondly, when a company borrows money to grow faster, the cost for that debt is now higher. This delays profitability or at least proportionately reduces the rate at which a company can grow - because extra cash has to be spent on interest payments rather than on fueling growth. The overreaction of the market here is ridiculous though. That return on bonds is still less than half of the inflation rate, is it even worth it when you can invest in companies that are growing revenue anywhere between 90-250% YoY? Makes no sense.

We’ll see what happens with omicron. Preliminary data is showing faster spread and reinfection rates, but symptoms have been very mild so I’m not particularly concerned. The world just needs to get used to the fact that covid will be here forever now, and taking money out of tech companies that enable remote work because of a new variant in play really seems counterintuitive to me.

29 Likes

You seem to be correct about the VC firms, kibo. I tried to find the post referring to them before I posted my post but I couldn’t find it.

At any rate, Monday’s price was up from $383 to $445 in one day with results, but then pulled back the next day to $351 with the news of the release of the lock-up. And it definitely was Monday that had the release of the lock-up two days after their earnings report.

Saul

9 Likes

Secondly, when a company borrows money to grow faster, the cost for that debt is now higher. This delays profitability or at least proportionately reduces the rate at which a company can grow - because extra cash has to be spent on interest payments rather than on fueling growth. The overreaction of the market here is ridiculous though.

However our companies don’t have debt, they have cash or equivalents, so they will make more money on their cash. Granted it’s insignificant either way when a company is growing at over 50%. But we’ve been through this at least once a year, every year, for the past four years. Always come back higher.

Saul

56 Likes

As per Saul’s update above:

I added just a little to ZoomInfo during the week, simply because I see it as an under appreciated company that is doing very well. It’s down a couple of tenths of a percent to 10.1% because the price is down. The CEO of Snowflake put in a plug for ZoomInfo, and how Snow is using it, in the prepared remarks of Snowflake’s conference call. I was amazed.

Monkey wanted to help contextualize this important morsel, so here’s the prepared remark Saul was alluding to. Notice: Snowflake is now king of data and they could just about honk the horn about whomever as their example; their choice of ZoomInfo really is kind of a gorilla of conviction in the company; a king doesn’t trifle with the pleebs.

Stable edges are ongoing Snowflake data networking relationships between providers and consumers. One of the featured data sets is FactSet’s Tick History data feed. It provides asset managers real-time data from over 200 exchanges. ZoomInfo is another featured data set.

It provides company and contact data with no additional integration or ETL required. The overarching backdrop for Snowflake is the inexorable march toward direct-to-consumer operations and full-bloom digital transformation. Enterprises and institutions have grown acutely aware how much they will end up relying on data operations, data analytics, and data science. Data is becoming the beating heart of the modern enterprise.

So, the race is on to lay the foundation for a digital data-driven infrastructure. Snowflake is and will be a critical enabler of this journey.

Monkey, long both SNOW and ZI

27 Likes

Saul,

This might not be true for only one company we discussed here - ZoomInfo as they have currently huge 1,232m long term debt and only 233m cash/short term investment based on the Q3 result.

Good thing is that they have very high FCF margin but they may face more pressure from this big debt in a higher interest environment.

Zoro

11 Likes

Hey Saul!

You said: The CEO of Snowflake put in a plug for ZoomInfo, and how Snow is using it, in the prepared remarks of Snowflake’s conference call. I was amazed.

It is a positive that ZI was mentioned… but just wanted to correct the record on their relationship. Snowflake isn’t using ZoomInfo – in fact it’s the opposite. ZoomInfo is using Snowflake, as both a partner in their marketplace (selling interactive datasets to Snowflake customers), as well as being in their Powered By Snowflake program (meaning ZI is using Snowflake under the hood in their platform).

Here’s the two direct mentions from the CC:
https://www.unhedged.com/companies/5cbb7713d8d18b8139fdfea1/…

Snowflake’s Data Marketplace grew 41% this quarter, now with more than 900 data sets from over 200 providers. … One of the feature data sets is FactSet’s tick history data feed. It provides asset managers real-time data from over 200 exchanges. ZoomInfo is another feature data set. It provides company and contact data with no additional integration or ETL required.

So ZoomInfo is selling datasets in the Data Marketplace (as one of those 200 providers mentioned), and, even better, it’s a “featured” one that is highlighted in the Marketplace (likely because they have a deeper Premium partnership).

That was announced back in May-21. https://ir.zoominfo.com/news-releases/news-release-details/z…

Here is the listing on the Data Marketplace:
https://www.snowflake.com/data-marketplace/?_sf_s=zoominfo
And some marketing about it:
https://www.snowflake.com/datasets/zoominfo-zoominfo-data-as…

HOWEVER, above and beyond that… ZoomInfo was also mentioned in the CC as a partner in the “Powered By Snowflake” program: Most recently, we announced Securonix, UiPath, VideoAmp and ZoomInfo as Powered by Snowflake Partners.

In fact they were on the slide on page 8 in the earnings slide deck, showing a bunch of partner logos (they are in the lower left corner).
https://s26.q4cdn.com/463892824/files/doc_financials/2022/q3…

Here is the detail of what “Powered by Snowflake” actually is: https://www.snowflake.com/partners/poweredbysnowflake/

This is a different partnership than just being a dataset for sale in the Marketplace. It means that ZoomInfo has built a part of their platform ON TOP OF Snowflake, using it as a cloud database. I don’t see any further details on what part of their architecture that is. It may be for dual customers to take advantage of, or that they use Snowflake as a master database to assemble their data and run their AI, and then generate the “for sale” datasets from that.

Anyway, just wanted to correct that Snowflake is the customer – it’s the vendor.

• muji
99 Likes

Saul,

Appreciate everything you’ve done and I’ve learned a lot. Just want to correct something so we can assess the situation correctly - Monday’s price went up from $383 to $445 the day before results. The results actually came out the next day before market open. So perhaps while results were great they weren’t enough to support the pre-earnings run-up, and combined with lock-up expiry it went down 20% to $351.

In any case I think MNDY’s results were great, but perhaps the run-up pre-earnings was demanding even better results.

Thanks.

6 Likes

2 quick points:

First, thanks Saul for the update – I did similar actions on Thur/Friday - though ventured into margin territory by only by 0.4% and covered it over the weekend from cash reserves. Small additions were made to Smartsheets (SMAR), Monday (MNDY), DigitalOcean (DOCN), and ZoomInfo (ZI) - using prior sales of ASAN and a non-Saul stock to fund these. With today’s further decline on Zscaler (ZS) I bumped that position up a bit too. It was nice to read your update with even stronger conviction based actions.

Responding to the statement in the 2nd reply to Saul - “Interest rate hikes cause major tech selloffs for two reasons” - the last sentence of that paragraph in the reply was correct – “Makes no sense”.

In short, rising interest rates negatively impact growth stock because the rising rates discount the value of future cash flows of growth companies. The over simplified math is “future value” = “future cash flow” / “interest rates". As rates rise the future value declines.

Growth stocks are primarily priced on future value – we covet stocks with high growth rates because revenue (and thus cash flow) is growing fast signaling a higher revenue and value 5 or 10 years in the future. Higher rates lower the value of future cash flows and ultimately lower the value of growth stocks.

It is not the slight increase in the value of bonds – the institutions selling the growth stocks when rates go up are usually moving to value stocks, not bonds.
It is not that higher interest rates that will be paid on their debt – as Saul pointed out, these companies have low debt - plus the interest rate on any existing debt is usually fixed. The higher rates will only increase the interest on future debt.

Just my 2 cents here - even after the recent increases, interest rates are still at historically low levels. We continue to invest in high growth stock in part because the current rates are still lower than in 2017-2019 - a period of growth stock success. Yes, inflation is higher, Omnicron variant is growing, etc. but we can only control what we do and how we react. Some of the interest rate related selloffs of growth stocks are exaggerated by the sign-of-the-times and the institutional investing swings. If rates stay low (which the Fed has indicated they will) and inflation stays relatively under control, we should see the continued success of the growth stock investments even though right now value stocks may be outperforming in the short term.

Best,

BornGiantsFan

39 Likes