VHS copied to 8 gb thumb drive. unable to copy to another thumb drive

2 very old family-valuable VHS commercially copied to 8 gb thumb drive. Want to copy from the thumb drive to another thumb drive. All attempts failing, get notifcation on iMac that its too big to copy, tried sharing, tried mail drop…I think maybe commercial entity put a restriction on the thumb drive so we can’t copy to another. I can read and see it on my desktop but unable to copy to another thumb drive even a 32 gb. Any thoughts, ideas?

Have you tried using Carbon Copy Cloner, or SuperDuper? I’ve use CCC for quite a while, and if it doesn’t work, I’d think their support line may be able to help…

3 Likes

You could reformat the destination disk to clear out any garbage.

The Captain

2 Likes

Do the electronic recordings play on the computer? If so, record them as they are playing.

Is the “commercial entity” still in business? Likely not, as that would have been my first call when they could not be copied.

1 Like

Hi Tuni,
what is the format on the 8gb thumb drive? It would be the dot ex ex ex (won’t let me put x x x with the dot) ending on that drive…doc

1 Like

Nothing on destination thumb drives they are new. Thx

The VHS was copied to an 8 gb thumb drive. That video is in a type of format that is not being copied to another drive. That video on the 8 gb thumb drive will have a name dot format like vhs.gif or vhs.mov so that is the missing bit of information in this quest to figure out why you can’t copy the 8 gb thumb drive to any other drives…doc

1 Like

Yep, they do play on the iMac, I might be able to record but that wouldn’t give me the accompanying photos (its a vidio) of the presenter. She was a very old Holocaust survivor ( my DH’s mother, 97 years old at the time of recording), and seeing her and hearing her would be meaningful to her great-grandchildren. sigh…there’s gotta be a way…thx

phyician, so is there a way to copy the .gif or .mov to a thumb dive - or can I or should I dare to try to change the …to another name dot format? this is way beyond my pay grade…ugh

jerry, I’m thinking the commercial entity may have done something to prevent us re-copying it??? They shouldn’t have,it is our property and we certainly did pay A LOT to have it done. sigh…

This might help, you are dealing with MAC issues: How to Copy Files to a USB Flash Drive on a Mac (howtogeek.com)

See if this works…doc

2 Likes

I’ve never touched a Mac in my life, but have you tried doing it in two steps? First copying to the Mac, the from the mac to the new thumb drive?

2 Likes

yep, got it on my iMac - can see it and play it. What I can’t do is copy it to another thumb drive, that’s what I need to do.

Do you happen to have Windows PC available? It might be worth it to see if you get the same result there.

2 Likes

Did you format the thumb drive you want to copy it to before trying to copy?

Andy

2 Likes

OK - you all have been great. I ended up re-formating the destination thumb drive to exFAT - using disk utility and IT WORKED! YAY. So now you al can exhale and relax - having pulled me out of yet another quagmire! thank you one and all.

7 Likes

Have you tried to copy some other file from iMac?

Assuming the test file can be copied, have you tried copying one file (or 10 files) rather than everything in one big operation.

1 Like

Have you tried uploading to Google Drive? From there, you have complete control.

1 Like

Quality matters. For me even after formatting some flash-drive worked as expected while others didn’t. Buy only quality flash-drives. SanDisk have been the best for me.

The Captain

3 Likes

thx captain,
Formatting to exFAT worked, solved that problem. Able now to get the video on flash drive. Am having some trouble with one of the flash drives, so have gone back to Utilities/disk utility, done erase and then repair…so trying to use that thumb drive again, if it doesn’t work, no worries, may just be a bad drive, have other spares. thanks for all the advice.

3 Likes