Vinyl siding

I think I’m biased against vinyl siding. I went to look at a property last week and it was vinyl siding and I could push on it and it easily dented in and I thought “how do I know this isn’t leaking and pure mold underneath?”

I own three houses. Brick and hardiplank (concrete looks like wood).

Is vinyl siding crap? I grew up in a house with aluminum siding…which was solid. Vinyl feels like it would blow over in a storm.

I went to look at a property last week and it was vinyl siding and I could push on it and it easily dented in and I thought “how do I know this isn’t leaking and pure mold underneath?”

Not all vinyl siding is created equal. Different thickness for starters.

That said, we put vinyl siding on our bunkhouse and I regret not just doing cedar siding like we have on the cabin. You don’t have to paint it, which is wonderful, and the carpenter bees don’t chew on it, but it still has to be scrubbed every year and deteriorates with the sun. Meanwhile stain on our house needs replacing less often. Very happy we did the bunkhouse first and waited on the cabin, which we almost put vinyl on at the same time.

I own three houses. Brick and hardiplank (concrete looks like wood).

I am also a fan of brick, except when it’s painted. What a waste of a perfect low maintenance material, which now will need maintenance.

IP

2 Likes