We got Boots on the Ground in Gaza

The 7 Ps.

Any bets on how long before the project is discontinued?

How Ambitious Plans for a Floating Aid Pier off Gaza Fell Apart
https://www.wsj.com/world/how-ambitious-plans-for-a-floating-aid-pier-off-gaza-fell-apart-d3336774?mod=hp_lead_pos8

Those involved in the shipping industry in Cyprus described the pier’s suspension as inevitable. “We know the weather, and we know the rhythm of the waves and the wind at any time of year, and we could have told it was not going to work,” Miki Peleg, general manager of EDT Offshore, a Cypriot cargo ship-owning company that, with Fogbow, was contracted by the U.S. military to remove the pier, via tugboats, back to Gaza’s shores…

*While the Pentagon has allotted enough money to pay for the pier to receive aid for three months, those familiar with its operations say they don’t expect it to last that long, at least not without multiple repairs. *

If the pier shuts down permanently, the aid could end up being delivered by sea to the Ashdod port in Israel, and then sent along the very land routes the maritime corridor was meant to bypass.

DB2

1 Like

The news reported, a couple days ago, the pier had been repaired, and was back in use. But, it is clearly fragile and, possibly, more a PR exercise than anything else.

Steve

1 Like

I’ve not spent time in the Med, but the Gaza coast is fully open to the sea.

“The project stops on bad weather days as rough seas slow down the ships while the pier is unusable in waves higher than 90cm (three feet) or winds faster than 24km/hour (15mph), according to a 2006 US Naval War College paper on safe cargo handling.”

DB2

1 Like

When you create a wartime asset, like a portable pier, you need to use and test it rather than have it sit around for “when you might REALLY need it” because it is inherently a wasting asset.

We have learned a lot. I bet the successor tech is on the boards.

d fb

4 Likes

Which makes you wonder why DoD even had a pier system without any sort of breakwater system to go with it? Was the entire endeavor set up to fail?

Steve

1 Like

Earlier this month, the pier broke apart and sustained damage in heavy seas and had to be towed to Ashdod for repairs that took over a week. It was moved back to Gaza last week and resumed operations on Saturday but had to pause again due to heavy seas on Monday and Tuesday…

Officials have told CNN that sea conditions in the eastern Mediterranean will only worsen as fall and winter approach, raising questions about the pier’s realistic lifespan.

DB2

As suggested before, putting it out there, apparently with no breakwater, makes it look like the entire thing was set up to fail.

Steve

I see it not so much as set up to fail, but rather set up more as a showpiece to put pressure on Israel.

DB2

1 Like

…what you guys are saying, but also, Why the Hell NOT test the damn thing out and start designing improvements?

d fb

3 Likes

Sure, but the Army has had these things since D-Day (80 years ago) and we used them in Viet Nam. Here’s a background article:

DB2

US officials say Gaza aid pier may be dismantled soon after little success
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-officials-say-gaza-aid-pier-may-be-dismantled-soon-after-little-success-report/ar-BB1ovBMM
The aid pier built on the Gaza coast by the United States for some $200 million may be dismantled earlier than planned, according to a Tuesday media report, having so far completed a total of 10 days of actual operations.

The New York Times reported that US officials had told aid organizations in Gaza that the structure could be taken apart early in July…

DB2

This forces Hamas to recognition a religion other than Islam and sue for peace. Or will Hamas fight on against all other religions?

Famine has been setting on. Thanks Hamas for fighting against freedom of religion.

Time for Gaza Pier Farewell Tour.

US-built pier will be put back in Gaza for several days to move aid, then permanently removed
https://apnews.com/article/gaza-pier-humanitarian-aid-israel-3143130f56bbbc2c6ed30c5801a39a51?taid=668d8c0d9362c5000164224f&utm_campaign=TrueAnthem&utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter
The officials said the goal is to clear whatever aid has piled up in Cyprus and on the floating dock offshore and get it to the secure area on the beach in Gaza. Once that has been done, the Army will dismantle the pier and depart…

The pier was damaged by high winds and heavy seas on May 25, just a bit more than a week after it began operating, and was removed for repairs. It was reconnected on June 7, but removed again due to bad weather on June 14. It was put back days later, but heavy seas again forced its removal on June 28.

DB2

I have to admit I always thought the Med was more like a bathtub and didn’t have these kinds of sea conditions! I’m hoping this is at least a learning experience for the military.

JimA

1 Like

It’s certainly not the North Atlantic or English Channel, and it is the summer. Wait for winter storms…

I believe this kind of pier was designed to be used in a sheltered location rather than the open coast.

DB2