What we can learn from Salesforce.com

Yesterday came the news that Adam Selipsky, a veteran exec at Salesforce, will become CEO of AWS. Selipsky used to be a VP at AWS before he became President of Tableau, which got bought by Salesforce. This shows the depth of the talent they have at Salesforce, where one of their VPs could take over as CEO of the world’s largest cloud provider. Andy Jassy, the current CEO at AWS, will become CEO of Amazon.com.

GauchoRico wrote an excellent article showing the big drops his portfolio has gone through over the past 3 years: https://gauchorico.com/big-drops/ . Those drops are familiar to all of us who have been in SaaS stocks since 2018 or earlier. But Salesforce, the grand-daddy of all SaaS companies, has been publicly traded (ticker CRM) for over 16 years now. That’s more than 5 times longer than the 3-year period covered by GR’s post. What can we learn about drawdowns and recoveries in SaaS stocks by studying 16+ years of CRM’s price history? I’ll get to that in a second. But first,

Some Facts About Salesforce
Salesforce was founded in 1999 by a visionary CEO, Marc Benioff, who got the idea to build a cloud-delivered service for businesses to track sales leads and customer contacts while swimming with dolphins in Hawaii. The fact that Amazon used a Website to deliver goods inspired him, and he wanted to build a UI that was as easy to use as Amazon.com.

The company went public in 2004 at a split-adjusted $3 per share. That looks cheap now, but it certainly was not cheap at the time. In fact, CRM has never traded at a P/E lower than 45, ever. Like most SaaS companies, CRM spent many years reporting losses because they were spending heavily to increase market share and product development. During the few years that they did report profits, the P/E ratio was well north of 100.

In 2006, their revenues hit $310M, and kept compounding at 45% annually, hitting over $1B just 3 years later. Revenues exceed $20B today, and the price is around $200, so it’s a 60-bagger since the IPO.

By comparison, Cloudflare (NET) grossed $400M last year, and its sales are compounding at 50% annually. It’s a no-brainer to extrapolate that they too will hit $1B in revenues 3 years from now, unless they really screw something up. Those of us lucky enough to have been following this board for 3 years were able to buy a number of SaaS companies while they were still generating less than $300M in revenue, and have seen them grow beyond the $1B mark in sales. Examples include Twilio, Shopify, and Zoom. Datadog, Okta, Crowdstrike, TTD and Roku should hit $1B in sales, or be close to it, by the end of this year, and Teladoc is already there.

Salesforce still manages to grow revenues at 20% annually, even now, on top of a revenue base of $20 billion. That’s more than 20 times the annual revenues most of our companies are at, and shows how early we still are with our picks. The thing about the SaaS business model is that the dominant first movers wind up taking most of the total addressable market share. It’s a “winner take most” industry. Most of the SaaS companies we own happen to be dominant first-movers. There’s no reason to sell any of them if a sector downdraft pulls them all down at once. The main reason to sell is if their earnings calls indicates a failure to deliver on their sales goals.

Salesforce grew so big that it had no problem paying $15 billion in stock to buy Tableau in 2019. It grew so big that it had no problem paying $27 billion for Slack last year. It grew so big that the Dow Jones index decided to kick Exxon out of the index, and replace it with Salesforce. Exxon used to be the most valuable company on the planet, by market cap.

Ok, so we have here an example of a mature SaaS company, with recurring revenues, that’s been around for 16 years, and which would have grown your initial investment by 60x if you had held it since the IPO. But how easy would it have been to hold it for 16 years? That’s where your mental conviction comes in, as I’ll explain next.

CRM Drawdowns and Recoveries
As the table below shows, if you held CRM for 16 years, you experienced steep price drops of 20% or higher a total of 10 times. On average, you would experience such a price drop at least every other year. But the price has bounced back to the previous high every time, and the table shows how many days it took to bounce back.

**Peak      Trough    Peak      Trough    Days to.          Recovery.  Days to**
**Date	  Date	    Price     price	Trough	Drawdown  Date	     Recover**
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
11/7/04	  2/20/05   $5.00     $3.50 	105	-30%	  5/29/05	98
1/22/06	  7/16/06   $10.40    $5.48 	175	-47%	  10/8/06	84
12/23/07  2/3/08    $16.10    $12.70 	42	-21%	  3/30/08	56
6/8/08	  11/16/08  $18.20    $5.58 	161	-69%	  12/20/09     399
7/10/11	  12/18/11  $38.60    $24.50 	161	-37%	  3/25/12	98
2/9/14	  5/4/14    $63.60    $50.30 	84	-21%	  11/9/14      189
11/9/15	  2/7/16    $82.10    $59.70 	90	-27%	  5/29/16      112
9/23/18	  11/18/18  $159.00   $122.00 	56	-23%	  2/10/19	84
2/6/20	  3/29/20   $189.50   $134.30 	52	-29%	  6/8/20	71
8/23/20	  3/24/21   $271.00   $210.00 	213	-23%	  ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------	
Average					        -33%		       132
Median					        -28%		        98

As you can see, after hitting the bottom price at the trough date, it took a median of 98 days (a little over 3 months) for the price to bounce back to the previous high. On one occasion, in 2014, it took about 6 months. And there was one outlier, the Great Financial Crisis of 2008, where it took a little over a year to recover. We happen to be in one of those drawdown periods now. Note, we only have 10 data points, and history may not repeat.

But I hope the above helps give you some perspective on things. Don’t get caught up in day to day stock price movements. Zoom out for the bigger picture.

-Ron

258 Likes

This is amazing. I love this analysis. Salesforce has a significant moat and I think they will continue to be a powerhouse. It hasn’t had the allure of other high growth tech stocks, but what wasn’t in vogue a year ago can come back in fashion.

1 Like

While the days to recovery are where my eyes gravitate, I think looking at the “days to trough” will be the more important test of your resolve. As shown in the current OT discussions coming up on the board, there are quite a bit of new investors catching onto the SaaS train that many of the original board members have been riding since 2016-2018 (myself included).

What is interesting about the days to trough averages around ~114 days. How many days are generally between earnings dates? ~91 days. Now, because these are slightly correlated does not mean causation, but I think this is where the fundamental analysis is crucial in being a successful high growth stock investor. This reminds me, again, why reading the knowledge base is crucial to staying the course and knowing when or when not to jump ship on a company regardless of what the stock price is doing.

-Redeemed

20 Likes

I asked to stop this thread. These posts and further ones will be deleted.
Saul

3 Likes

It’s not certain to say the fast growing companies will stop growing. The fact is fast growers will slowdown eventually. A 100% grower will become a 50% grower, then 30% and so on. When they are growing at 100% per year, it feels like driving on highway. We feel high. When they slow down, it’s like we exit highway to move to local street, it feels like the car is not moving.

If we panic and do randome things, it messes things up. My selling of UPST is huge mistake. It’s a loss I shouldn’t suffer if I didn’t sell most of it. If I didn’t do anything to my portfolio in recent crash, I 'll be down just 10% from peak as of now. It’s no going back. However, my objective changed, I am no longer chasing after maximum ROI. I feel like I have enough. Making more money will raise my tax bracket to 50%. So if I make 50% ROI per year, I’ll keep just 25%. and it’s hard to get 50% per year…

We had 100% return in 2020 and if we expect to have that same return year after year, we’ll have depression. Unless we find 100% revenue growers with reasonable valuations, sit on tight and either adjust the plan or the expectation of return. Maybe expect 30% to 50% per year instead of 100% per year.

Sales force is a great example:

Stock price performance:
17 years CAGR (Since inception): 30% per year
Last 5 year CAGR: 20% per year

Yes, the longer the time horizon, the lower the return will be for the same company. In order to sustain high ROI, we need good fast growing companies as replacemnet. and they are hard to come by.

And I also realized, We should not obsess with compounded return over x number of years, it ignores taxation. The reality is we pay taxes. After taxes, our compounded ROI over long term will not be same as the numbers claimed to be. So I don’t believe somebody’s net worth is up 10X in 5 years unless the whole portfolio is in tax sheltered account. But in Canada, true tax free account (TFSA) is limited in how much we can contribute: around $75,500 room for now. and $6000 new room per year. We can’t put a decent portfolio size in this. Retirement account:(RRSP). it’s tax free but once you take it out, it’s fully taxable. It’s a tax trap and substantially raise the tax bracket at withdrawal.

12 Likes

Saul

I am guessing this was meant for the other actually off topic thread? I found this to be interesting, as by all accounts Salesforce is basically where we want the current crop of hypergrowth SaaS companies to be in 10-15 years. Maybe 5 years for Zoom, since they kind of jumped the line.

12 Likes

I asked to stop this thread. These posts and further ones will be deleted. Saul
IRdoc: I am guessing this was meant for the other actually off topic thread?
——————————————

IRdoc, I thought the same, and you beat me to the punch as I was about to post the following.

I believe Saul’s comments made here were meant for another thread, “OT - The Market?”
https://discussion.fool.com/ot-the-market-34788755.aspx?sort=who…
where after Saul responded Okay, now we are getting into the purveyors of total nonsense. Please terminate this OT thread to a reply post that had stated A lot of stock have to fall further by 50-100% and was subsequently deleted there, 4 individuals ignored his statement and on purpose continued posting.

So given this assumption, I’ll proceed here with a response to rdutt’s original post.

It’s appropriate here to put back in the spotlight a 10/25/2019 post CRM: a case study for SaaS companies by GauchoChris (now GauchoRico) for the benefit of not only newbies here, but also as a refresher for others. This extraordinary deep dive due diligence post (IMO one of the very best at this board) presents a far more comprehensive historical and financial perspective and cogent insights about CRM that may be applicable to today’s up and coming SaaS youngsters followed here.

Here’s GauchoChris’ opening statement, leaving the rest for viewers to read.
CRM: a case study for SaaS companies
https://discussion.fool.com/crm-a-case-study-for-saas-companies-…

"Salesforce.com (hereafter referred to as ticker CRM) is the first and only pure play Cloud company that has remained public (not acquired and not failed) for an extended period AND has matured into a Mega Cap company. Examining CRM’s long history may be useful not only for providing some insights and perspective for younger, public SaaS companies without long histories as public companies but also to foresee how much these smaller companies may one day be worth should they become dominant juggernauts. The current crop of SaaS companies currently valued in the range of $5-10B do not have long histories as public companies (usually less than 5 years) and during this period, the valuations of these companies have skyrocketed at rates above their revenue growth rates causing their valuation multiples to expand. Was this valuation expansion justified or was it a temporary “bubble”? This is not a question that I believe can be answered and the answer may be different from company to company. Time will tell. But I do hope to gain some perspective by looking at CRM as we will get a view of the company from the time it was a hypergrowth $50M revenue firm to how it is today as a $15B revenue, cash generating machine….and the 15+ years (around 60 quarters) in between. If the SaaS companies that we own now are star high school basketball players, we have the benefit of the complete record of Michael Jordan from elementary school, through high school and college, and on to becoming one of the most successful NBA stars. In this respect, CRM is really one of a kind. I originally wanted to examine several mature companies, but CRM is really one of a kind. It also took a long of time and effort to pull and enter 70+ quarters of data. Therefore, I think this will be more of a case study (with an N of one).”

While I have this GauchoChris post stored in my computer files, this post can also be found in CMF_muji’s post: Distilling knowledge, a compilation of the best-of-the-best posts for understanding hyper-growth investment,
https://discussion.fool.com/distilling-knowledge-34529397.aspx
located in “Newbies’ Place to Start” under Saul’s board Announcements side bar on the right side.

Regards,
Ray

27 Likes

Saul

I am guessing this was meant for the other actually off topic thread?

Yes, sorry, it was the other really OT thread I was talking about, where a nonsense post claimed that some of our stocks still had 100% drops to come (falling to zero???). That thread has stopped. Sorry for my confusion.
Saul

13 Likes

It’s great to see so many people reporting that their portfolios are at all time highs. As Saul said, most of us have pretty much forgotten about our March drawdowns. About 5 months ago, when some of our stocks were down 30% from their mid-Feb highs, I wrote the post about Salesforce at the top of this thread, to provide some re-assurance.

We have 16 years of price history on Salesforce. My point was that Salesforce is the oldest and largest publicly traded SaaS company, and its price had always recovered to its previous peak after any steep drawdown. CRM is a member of the Dow, has a $260B market cap, and is still growing revenues at 23% YoY more than 16 years after it went public! And they’re doing this on top of a $24B revenue stream, which means they’re tacking on more than $6B of revenue annually. This is the type of market cap that we hope some of our SaaS companies will reach some day.

Anyway, CRM just hit an intra-day all time high of $271 today. So it’s fully recovered from the trough of $210 back in March. And we can now complete the following table.

**Peak      Trough    Peak      Trough    Days to.          Recovery.  Days to**
**Date	  Date	    Price     price	Trough	Drawdown  Date	     Recover**
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
11/7/04	  2/20/05   $5.00     $3.50 	105	-30%	  5/29/05	98
1/22/06	  7/16/06   $10.40    $5.48 	175	-47%	  10/8/06	84
12/23/07  2/3/08    $16.10    $12.70 	42	-21%	  3/30/08	56
6/8/08	  11/16/08  $18.20    $5.58 	161	-69%	  12/20/09     399
7/10/11	  12/18/11  $38.60    $24.50 	161	-37%	  3/25/12	98
2/9/14	  5/4/14    $63.60    $50.30 	84	-21%	  11/9/14      189
11/9/15	  2/7/16    $82.10    $59.70 	90	-27%	  5/29/16      112
9/23/18	  11/18/18  $159.00   $122.00 	56	-23%	  2/10/19	84
2/6/20	  3/29/20   $189.50   $134.30 	52	-29%	  6/8/20	71
8/23/20	  3/24/21   $271.00   $210.00 	213	-23%	  9/1/2021     161
----------------------------------------------------------------------------	
Average					        -33%		       135
Median					        -28%		        98

This is what I wrote at the top of this thread, and it still holds true today: “As you can see, after hitting the bottom price at the trough date, it took a median of 98 days (a little over 3 months) for the price to bounce back to the previous high. On one occasion, in 2014, it took about 6 months. And there was one outlier, the Great Financial Crisis of 2008, where it took a little over a year to recover. … But I hope the above helps give you some perspective on things. Don’t get caught up in day to day stock price movements. Zoom out for the bigger picture.”

Cheers,
Ron

85 Likes