WSJ: Quit Quitting

If Your Co-Workers Are ‘Quiet Quitting,’ Here’s What That Means
https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-your-gen-z-co-workers-are-qu…

Some Gen Z professionals are saying no to hustle culture; ‘I’m not going to go extra’

Man, I learned that about 6 months into my engineering career. If working twice as hard isn’t going to double my income, I’m going to adjust the level of effort accordingly.

intercst

3 Likes

I know Gen Z as ‘If I’m not goofing off 3 hours a day, I’m over worked’.

This AIN’T new!!!

In the “Back to the Future” movies, they were labeled: SLACKERS!!!

2 Likes

John Mackey on young workers:"it’s also the kids these days. “They don’t seem like they want to work,” Mackey told Reason about younger generations in the workplace.

“Younger people aren’t quick to work because they want meaningful work,” was Mackey’s diagnosis of the problem, referring to the well-known importance to Gen Z of finding work with some kind of social significance. This is a mistake, he said. “You can’t expect to start with meaningful work. You’re going to have to earn it over time.”
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/outgoing-whole-foods-ceo-says…

3 Likes

John Mackey on young workers:"it’s also the kids these days. “They don’t seem like they want to work,” Mackey told Reason about younger generations in the workplace.

Elders have been complaining about the young since Aristotle.

https://historyhustle.com/2500-years-of-people-complaining-a…

intercst

5 Likes

They don’t seem like they want to work for what little I want to pay them
There, fixed it.

5 Likes

Jim Harter, chief scientist for Gallup’s workplace and well-being research, said workers’ descriptions of “quiet quitting” align with a large group of survey respondents that he classifies as “not engaged”—those who will show up to work and do the minimum required but not much else. More than half of workers surveyed by Gallup who were born after 1989—54%—fall into this category.

Nothing new under the sun department. Every place I worked, from the late 70s through the 2000s, I had coworkers that worked at half speed.

Steve

4 Likes

Learned that at my first job - a summer job working for Telco. Eager beaver and crew of college kids. we were ‘unistalling things’ like large cables under floors in office buildings that changed hands. 25 pair cable to 50 positions. we went to work. Later, the foreman came by. Said we have XXX hours to do this job. We don’t want to get done sooner. Just a decent pace. (the union rules - waived for our summer jobs - specified how much ‘work’ per foot of cable, etc - it was all reasonably well estimated). So we slowed down a bit, got done ‘on time’ and everyone happy. Went that way the rest of the summer, taking out phones from big ‘key sets’ to home phones, disconnecting circuits and wires, etc. You had an hour for lunch, you took an hour for lunch.

Next summer job was working on Ford assembly line. Car by every 56 seconds. Putting rubber insulation on doors. Or similar. Union work rules. Enough time but you kept busy. Monotonous but most of the folks there didn’t care. They made big bucks - like $300/wk in 1970 which was very good money. But the line never stopped so you kept busy. 10 hours a day (well, evening to 2am. Fortunately only six weeks. Didn’t have to join union - but they didn’t care. replacing folks on vacations.

Last summer job was at radio/tv/station. All union shop for the technical people. same didn’t have to join the union so the regular folks could take their vacations. Good pay for the time. Kept busy but not overworked. Half the night spent playing records - LPs - one side - for the night shift with no DJ. Just music, no ads for 5 1/2 hours. Read books to keep busy.
WGY, WGFM, WRGB-TV. In mornings would help set up TV cameras - first color TV clunky cameras.
then go home for breakfast. Making evening/night shift bonus on top of union scale. No complaints.

Then graduated and went off to engineering career.

One time I had a boss who seemed to think those who stayed in the office extra hours did extra work. Pointed out specific people he noted and simply said 'it’s their problem they cannot do their work in 8 hours and take 10-12 to do it inefficiently and probably don’t want to go home to the wife and screaming kids either.

There’s lots of hustle at many jobs these days. You see Walmart stockers (and I assume its the same at ALL grocery stores) that lug a ton of food, restock shelves, re arrange stuff to make it neat…and are busy, busy busy. But $15 to $17/hr here. Same for Whole FOods. You slack off, you get canned. It’s a 40 hour/week job

Fast food is even worse, but heck, they can’t find enough workers at $15/hr but don’t give them more than 28 hours/week so they don’t have to pay benefits for ‘full time workers’. Duh! Horrible industry. Good for high school kids and entry level, seniors seeking part time work.

Other companies? Better plan on working in computer industry and just about any other thing.

Is being an auto mechanic having ‘social benefit’? nope. For refrig repair, glass repair, a/c repair, Best Buy salesperson, etc? Nope.

Put in your hours. Go home and get on the internet or join your friends to discuss social issues and what you can do. Paychecks don’t provide ‘social opportunities’ to ‘do good’ other than low paying social worker jobs or lawyers doing lots of pro bono type social cases. .

t.

1 Like

“Nothing new under the sun department. Every place I worked, from the late 70s through the 2000s, I had coworkers that worked at half speed.”

In engineering and tech work, most of them didn’t survive the first 10% ‘cull’ that happens to week them out.

t.

Elders have been complaining about the young since Aristotle.

This Beavis & Butthead Generation will surely ‘step-in-it’ and track it all over the house.

They don’t seem like they want to work for what little I want to pay them
There, fixed it.

My two eldest grandsons managed to get jobs in Orinda, CA. The 18 yo is working in one of those VR (virtual reality) places suiting up and briefing the customers making US$18 per hour. The 16 year old got hired on a couple days ago at Starbucks. No word on what he is getting paid. Both also tutor high school kids in the neighbourhood.

The 12 YO waits to be waited on and someone is responsible for making sure his Iphone is charged up so mommy knows what he is up to.

Anymouse

“Younger people aren’t quick to work because they want meaningful work,” was Mackey’s diagnosis of the problem, referring to the well-known importance to Gen Z of finding work with some kind of social significance. This is a mistake, he said. “You can’t expect to start with meaningful work. You’re going to have to earn it over time.”

He is full of something. The younger folks know we live in a user society. This entire thing is most of them wont be used for our economic satisfaction.

Pay up or get lost is the attitude. The younger folks are entirely right.

Only are generation would proudly call ourselves the ME Generation and then non stop vote for pay and benefit cuts for someone else to benefit. That is not patriotism. We just get a poorer nation that grows slowly. The young folks calling most of us "boomers" get it. We were fools. We can face it instead of saying the younger set is lazy. The younger set does not take our crap. Smart kids.
3 Likes

Everyone complains about disengaged people, but nobody ever seems to be able to do anything about the problem.

As I see it, the world at large is a toxic environment that promotes disengagement. Some of these factors are:

• There’s the old saying “The road to hell is paved with good intentions!” It directly promotes cynicism. Why knock yourself out to get lousy results when you can sit back, relax, do just the bare minimum to get by, and get the same lousy results with MUCH less work? Getting lousy results with less effort is so much more efficient than working hard to get the same lousy results. While good intentions aren’t enough, blaming good intentions is 100% misguided. Do good things happen by pure accident? The old proverb undermines every pep talk about giving 110%, stepping up one’s game, and following through.
  • At the opposite extreme, there’s the message of “If you do X, you’ll have it made!” This is short-term motivation at the expense of long-term motivation. All too often, the trouble was that I didn’t feel like I had it made after I did X, and I felt like I’d been played. A dirty little secret in life is that there’s no such thing as “having it made”. Life is full of uphill battles. Of course, some uphill battles are much better to have than others.
  • There are too many “self-improvement” gurus out there. Their message amounts to, “If you do exactly what I tell you to do, you’ll have it made! If you don’t comply 100%, you’re a loser!” This is why I have a low opinion of “self-improvement” gurus. The dirty little secret is that the people in the know are too busy to write all those books and grant all those TV interviews. Thus, the narrative gets controlled by the underperformers and the dead wood. It’s analogous to the anti-vaccine people getting more attention from the lamestream media than the real experts.
1 Like

The 16 year old got hired on a couple days ago at Starbucks.

Belay that, just heard from his mom, Starbucks does background checks, waiting for it to come back.

Tim

I do not like people talking crap about their own family members. Sheessh!

My three nephews and the niece?

The oldest is an MIT grad computer science working with a firm out of San Francisco.

The next his brother is graduating Northeastern U in December. Walks in May. He has a publicist’s job already and will complete his senior year while working. He is in the music industry. No tattoos. We kid him on that but he wont copy the “stars” with tatts and piercings. Not his thing.

The next sister has a son in U Wisconsin studying Bio and Econ.

Her daughter is studying international relations, languages etc at Cornell. She is the brightest of the bunch. OTOH none of them are at all dim. She plans to go to law school to be an advocate.

The four of them are very hard workers. No slackers in my family. We have done well. We are a family of more recent immigrants.

2 Likes

tim443 writes,

My two eldest grandsons managed to get jobs in Orinda, CA. The 18 yo is working in one of those VR (virtual reality) places suiting up and briefing the customers making US$18 per hour. The 16 year old got hired on a couple days ago at Starbucks. No word on what he is getting paid. Both also tutor high school kids in the neighbourhood.

If you live in a neighborhood with a lot of competitive, high income parents, I bet you could get $100/hour tutoring a dullard.

intercst

2 Likes

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

tim443 writes,

If you live in a neighborhood with a lot of competitive, high income parents, I bet you could get $100/hour tutoring a dullard.

intercst

The neighborhood has a lot of wealthy elders often single person large house but enough of the demographic you mention that from the time they discovered the joy of money they have been doing odd jobs such as shuffling boxes and cleaning basements, yardwork, tree trimming in fire season as well as the tutoring.

Daughter’s house was bought from the CFO of one of the big music streaming companies whose four sons had all finished college and weren’t coming home. He had a job offer at … a very large tech company. One old lady paid them $20 to take the garbage out every week.

Daughter tells everyone the hilarious story of when the pizza delivery guy showed up and his CC machine wasn’t working. She told him she didn’t have $40 cash … the little guy (7-8 at the time) yelled down the stairs … “I do” … he was willing to loan it to her at a price … }}:wink:

Texting last night, she said when he does start at Starbucks … “I’m going to go there and order some weird and complex coffees to embarrass him.”

Knowing the two of them, I wouldn’t start anything. He is brilliant and strong as a bull when wrestling and will get you back.

Tim

3 Likes

“The young folks calling most of us “boomers” get it. We were fools. We can face it instead of saying the younger set is lazy. The younger set does not take our crap. Smart kids.”

No we weren’t.

There are tens of millions of jobs out there that aren’t ‘socially rewarding’ in any sense. Your plumber, electrician, window installer, carpenter, computer fixer, cable installer, home construction people, lawn service, vet, doctor, all put in lots of hours. It’s a job. Some find good satisfaction in doing a good job, but your septic repair person isn’t slacking off. Lots of hard work for most trades. Working on assembly line? Good pay but boring as heck, but some don’t mind and enjoy the paycheck.

too many Gen Z and others skated through high school. What, me do homework? I’m too busy. What, I have to actually write term papers instead of buying them on line? And some college. Degree in ecologic social values. Now they expect CEO job of firm spending government money on ecological grants that they ‘supervise’ and hand off to other 3rd parties who actually do the work.

Many others get the message. You got to work to get a paycheck. Mom and dad should kick them out…

t.

12 Likes

In engineering and tech work, most of them didn’t survive the first 10% ‘cull’ that happens to week them out.

Not in my experience. Everywhere I worked, the pump seal company, Radio Shack, Office Depot, WPI, the boss ordered me to do the work the slackers didn’t get done. The most outrageous was at OD. Three other people did the exact same work I did. Two of them wanted to work at half speed. I was ordered to do their work for them. When I pushed back, I got a written disciplinary report for my trouble, and again, ordered to do their work for them. Come summer, each of the other three took their turn taking a vacation. Come September, they were all back, their spawn back in school, I figured it was my turn to use the vacation benefit I supposedly had, so put in a vacation request. Boss came down, said vacation request denied, no reason, I was ordered to stay there and work.

Steve

Steve:" Everywhere I worked, the pump seal company, Radio Shack, Office Depot, WPI, the boss ordered me to do the work the slackers didn’t get done. The most outrageous was at OD. Three other people did the exact same work I did. Two of them wanted to work at half speed. I was ordered to do their work for them."

That’s the point beyond which you got too far… you do your job, put their work on the ‘tomorrow’ file, and say you are busy when they ask you to do other people’s work. or it never seems to get done. You suggest they stay after work hours to get their work done if they can’t complete it in 8 hours. Their work doesn’t seem to get done. You don’t do it. Simple. If it happened to you at multiple jobs… you obviously weren’t being paid enough to do 2 or 3 jobs.

t

1 Like