ZM Acquisition

Zoom acquires security startup
May 7, 2020 9:18 AM ET|About: Zoom Video Communications, … (ZM)|By: Brandy Betz, SA News Editor
Making its first-ever acquisition, Zoom Video (NASDAQ:ZM) buys security startup Keybase for undisclosed terms.

ZM has acquired a security company and will be offering end to end encryption to paid customers. Hopefully this puts the issue to rest. In peace.

Thanks for the news draj,
I just had a quick look what is Keybase app on youtube, it looks to me this is the most secured messaging platform. Beside that, you can upload sensitive documents on Keybase, let say my tax return, it is encrypted so Keybase and anyone can’t read it except me, and I can sync to multiple devices to access it at ease. After this acquisition, in my opinion, Zoom has not just make its platform the most secured (end to end encryption) but also just expanded its TAM (team collaboration tools, and messaging platform). My 2 cent

Tu

3 Likes

Some important points in the Seeking Alpha news piece (shortened and bolding is mine). There was also a news story today that the NYC School system now has ok’ed Zoom. (I can’t remember where I saw it).
Saul

May 7, 2020 9:18 AM ET
Making its first-ever acquisition, Zoom buys security startup Keybase for undisclosed terms.

Implementing Keybase will allow the Zoom user who schedules a meeting to enable end-to-end encryption, which prevents calling in by phone and cloud-based recording of the call.

The added security will only be available through Zoom’s paid service.

Zoom previously drew criticism for inaccurately claiming its platform included end-to-end encryption…

Last month, CEO Eric Yuan announced a 90-day plan to fix those security flaws…

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3571244-zoom-acquires-security…

15 Likes

(Sorry Penguin Cafe, I didn’t see that you had already written about the NYC School system OKing Zoom.)
Saul

Another thread here: https://discussion.fool.com/zoom-acquires-keybase-34497013.aspx?..

Love these snippits:

… another milestone in Zoom’s 90-day plan to further strengthen the security of our video communications platform. Since its launch in 2014, Keybase’s team of exceptional engineers has built a secure messaging and file-sharing service leveraging their deep encryption and security expertise. We are excited to integrate Keybase’s team into the Zoom family to help us build end-to-end encryption that can reach current Zoom scalability. This

Zoom will offer an end-to-end encrypted meeting mode to all paid accounts…

We believe this will provide equivalent or better security than existing consumer end-to-end encrypted messaging platforms, but with the video quality and scale that has made Zoom the choice of over 300 million daily meeting participants, including those at some of the world’s largest enterprises…

1 Like

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23102430

Long discussion here. Main take way is that tons of people like the Keybase product and are not happy that they will not stay independent. Interesting that a lot of people in that thread said they wish that Keybase had a paid version.