Zoom new use cases

Some people worry that with the end of covid-19 people will go back to their old ways and Zoom will fade away. Of course some use cases will languish but all sorts of new use cases are emerging. The problem with the doubters is that they can’t imagine what has not yet been invented, it takes futurists and SciFi writers to do that. I’m in between, I can’t imagine what has not yet been invented but I have great faith in human ingenuity.

I’d like to highlight two new use cases.

• Zoom used Zoom for the Earnings Call Conference. Is that likely to go away when covid-19 disappears? Or is it more likely that the phone-in earning calls will disappear, all those “operators” now jobless?

• Zoom the new Town Hall. LAPD used a Zoom Meeting to talk to the people. Zoom is taking over from radio and TV for mass communication. Please don’t respond to the political content of the linked article.

L.A. Residents Flood Zoom Meeting With Calls For LAPD Chief To Resign

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/los-angeles-police-resign-geo…

Denny Schlesinger

19 Likes

Some people worry that with the end of covid-19 people will go back to their old ways and Zoom will fade away.

Some will and maybe some will change find a why to expand their businesses. Despite what they want to call it, we are still very much in long down in Singapore. I normally try to go do yoga a couple times a week at a Yoga studio before all this happened. Of course, I can still do at home and follow YouTube videos but it is not really as effective as a live class (maybe why PTON also has done well).

The studio I go to quickly adapted and have started offing packages for about 1/2 to do the classes online. You can then choose the fav Instructors and do over zoom with instructions and corrections on form etc. They do up to 20 per class. How can’t say how many zoom accounts they need, certainly not one for every instructor as they don’t have that many classes running at the same time.

So I wonder, after this is over this relaxing and they can open, what will they do? Kill online class and only do in studio? Maybe a combination of both? Maybe they can try to expand outside of their geographic area and find members around the world?

Some will fade away and some will find this has opened up completely new revenue channels.

I just purchased the Pro version of Zoom. A couple months ago I initiated some family gathering zoom meetings since I live abroad and my siblings in three different states. During yesterdays meeting conversation was flowing so freely and easily and there was so much to talk about we wished greatly to exceed the time limit on free calls.

Zoom seems to be facing the consumer market as when I went to upgrade they offered me discount for a one year subscription. It was interesting to see how revenue is generated since they had prices for additional services such as rooms and what not all more highly priced than the subscription if I remember correctly. That Zoom is OS agnostic is great since the family members vary between android, Apple and Windows. Very glad to be long Zoom. Thanks all.

Best,
Merc

12 Likes

I work as a teacher and coordinator at a large school. I used to schedule meetings with students, which was difficult, and they would never show. Now with zoom, we actually use teams, but everyone wants to go back to zoom, I can easily schedule and hold a meeting from anywhere, and students generally show up. I don’t think I will ever go back to in person meetings. Would parents want to cone in to school or just meet online? I don’t have any worries about zoom becoming common place after covid. I do think they should build a scheduling calendar to make it easy for everyone.

16 Likes

I don’t have any worries about zoom becoming common place after covid. I do think they should build a scheduling calendar to make it easy for everyone.

Zoom integrates with google calendars and will pop up about a hour before it is time for your meeting.

Andy

2 Likes

Yeah, but there’s no place for a user to pop into Zoom and connect to a recurring meeting without going and looking up the meeting number and typing it in. “Return to a recent meeting” would be a nice option.

(This is not stock related, and we really shouldn’t dwell on it here, except that Zoom can get even better.)

-Another Rob

Yeah, but there’s no place for a user to pop into Zoom and connect to a recurring meeting without going and looking up the meeting number and typing it in. “Return to a recent meeting” would be a nice option.

Hi Another Rob,
That’s the kind of suggestion you should send to Zoom Investor Relations.
Saul

5 Likes

Education has been touched upon, but higher education specifically is a market I don’t recall seeing discussed on the board as a Zoom use case, at least in the terms I see it changing to.

The value proposition most colleges and universities offer has been radically reduced: Students aren’t going to college campuses. This is not sustainable; by the time a vaccine is available, these institutions will have gone through a rude revolution. It might shape up like this:

The top 50 or so will expand their enrollment virtually, and up with ~10x their previous enrollment. Yale, Harvard, all the rockstar names will be able to accept every qualified applicant, instead of trying to narrow it down to the best 1% of the perfect applicants. And, if you could get your degree from Harvard instead of your local state college, why would you not?

The next 100-200 institutions will tread water. They will emphasize that they have the facilities to do labs and other things you can’t do online. Many will become satellite institutions for the big 50, converting much of their newly vacant space to things you need to show up in person for. The humanities, however, will go entirely online.

The next 1000 institutions will go bust, except insofar as they offer technical training courses that are largely hands-on, leading to skilled work in the trades, etc.

I expect something along these lines, are similarly revolutionary, to happen – which will be new. And I expect Zoom will capture the entire virtual higher-learning opportunity – which is huge.

Cheers,
Wot

4 Likes

I think it likely that elite institutions like Harvard will resist on line degrees .Courses yes, degrees no. After all isn’t a lot of the value in an Ivy League degree the scarcity of them? Like diamonds are more valuable than rhinestones?
Lots of people go to college as much for the “college experience” getting away from parents etc as they do for the pure learning.

3 Likes

When I open the Zoom app on my laptop, and I click “Join a Meeting”, it shows me a drop down menu of all the recurring meetings I’ve attended. I can then click on the appropriate meeting and join.

2 Likes

When I was in college, I loved web casted courses because some classes were too full, or too early in the morning, or you just wanted a chance to re-watch lectures. Even with terrible quality, which is undoubtedly better now. A school doesn’t need to go to online degrees to derive benefit from Zoom or other similar services.

Office hours for TAs could be so much useful if you didn’t need to walk 10-20 minutes just to go over something. Professors can give fewer lectures to less crowded rooms if a large percentage of students are viewing online.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some Zoom integrations with online learning services, who can stop trying to create/support/host video enabled lectures and focus on their core business of enabling learning.

3 Likes

The law school in NY from which I graduated many years ago has been using Zoom for its students throughout the Covid-19 situation. Over the last few months it has expanded its use of Zoom to include classes for Continuing Education Credit for licensed NY attorneys, lectures for both students and alumni, national alumni association meetings, and even alumni gatherings. While the school will not go to online-only for classes any time soon, if ever, it will continue to use Zoom for all of these things and more going forward.

I never noticed that it is located after/“behind” the “Join” button. “New meeting” and “Share Screen” have a drop-down arrow right on the text under the button… kind of a weird organization, at least to me.

Thanks for teaching me!

Rob after I read this I stumbled on this:

From my phone at least, where it says “join a meeting” There is a little drop down on the right and then I can scroll through all my previous meetings at the bottom of the iPhone, like when you scroll to select a date in the calendar.

They were all there, listed in reverse chronological order.

perhaps this is the functionality you were talking about?

Although I admit I had no idea it was there…

1 Like

@Merc:
“…prices for additional services such as rooms and what not, all more highly priced than the subscription if I remember correctly…”

Check out their website for a better understanding of these services. Zoom Rooms is for physical room installations, something we will see a massive increase in over the coming months I believe as companies add/switch meeting rooms over. This is one of the “expand” items in “land-and-expand”. Another big one is Zoom Phone. There are further "expand"s specific to vintegrations with various verticals like healthcare

By the way, not many know that there are minimums for businesses, which directly correlates to that “greater than 10 employee” stat they use as this is their first tier for business (I’m in Canada so you get the AD version :wink: ):

• Business - Small & Med Businesses - CAD 27.00 /mo/host - Starting at 10 hosts for CAD 270/mo. Includes 300 participants.
  • Enterprise - Large Enterprise-Ready - CAD 27.00 /mo/host - Starting at 100 hosts for CAD 2,700/mo. Includes things larger companies would value too, so there is incentive beyond license ccounts.

@Another Rob (hah):
“Yeah, but there’s no place for a user to pop into Zoom and connect to a recurring meeting without going and looking up the meeting number and typing it in. “Return to a recent meeting” would be a nice option.”

I have been using Zoom 5+ times per day for weeks and have not once had to type a number. This includes both scheduled and impromptu meetings.

1. If it is a recurring meeting it shows up in the “Meetings” tab in the app (at least on desktop it does)

2. If you use GoogleCalendar, you can click the event and then the Zoom link.

3. If you are already in the meeting and someone asks for a link, you can click the little icon in the upper left and copy it without going through the extra clicks via the “invite” button/dialog.

1 Like

Education has been touched upon, but higher education specifically is a market I don’t recall seeing discussed on the board as a Zoom use case, at least in the terms I see it changing to.

Maybe Zoom can break the back of educational inflation. The burden of student loans is absurd. It would be a great use case. Better yet, when students enter the work market they will have Zoom imprinted on their teleconferencing brains.

Denny Schlesinger

What will they do for Spring break?

3 Likes

What will they do for Spring break?

Go to the campus?

1 Like

1. If it is a recurring meeting it shows up in the “Meetings” tab in the app (at least on desktop it does)

You’d have to be logged in for that, I guess. Because I agree the desktop version has that large calendar for meetings on the right half, but I personally think some of the accessibility of Zoom has been “no profile needed”. Someone sends a txt message with a link and that’s it.

Now, that said, I now will also admit that if I am using Zoom on a shared computer, it’s better that recurring meetings aren’t in a list without logging in. But as the first person pointed out to me… the recurring meetings are there, after you push the “Join” button.

But, “Enough!” This board, by Saul’s rules, is about growth stocks, not tech support!

Zoom can improve, still. Zoom will crush next quarter Y-o-Y (that is obvious), and Zoom will likely continue to crush most of the metrics for a couple of years. The biggest change: we had Facetime for 7+ years and almost never called our families that way… now we Zoom and Facetime several times a day for personal uses. The “normal-ness” of this communications-method jumped forward by several years in the adult populations. (I’m 50+.) (I admit my kids Facetimed other kids routinely in recent years, but it was a generational difference, then.) Monetization will follow, and grow, surely.

-Another Rob

I think it likely that elite institutions like Harvard will resist on line degrees .Courses yes, degrees no. After all isn’t a lot of the value in an Ivy League degree the scarcity of them? Like diamonds are more valuable than rhinestones?
Lots of people go to college as much for the “college experience” getting away from parents etc as they do for the pure learning.

My niece is a Junior at Stanford. She is not enthused at the prospects of online learning for the Fall quarter. She is thinking of taking that quarter off in the hopes that regular campus type learning might resume in the Spring.

Rob

3 Likes

As a retired professor I will assert that many parents send their kids to college to get them away from home!

Best, Bob

3 Likes