Actors, scripts, sets and wardrobe...

…cost money, and that hurts profits.

NBC Plans to Stop Programming Shows In the 10PM Slot

As reported by the Wall Street Journal, the broadcaster is currently having discussions to stop programming for the 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. EST slot and would subsequently give that hour over to local TV stations. The discussions are preliminary and no official decisions have been made. According to one source, it is entirely possible that NBC will continue its programming for 10 p.m. and the matter has not been officially discussed with its affiliate board, ie. the group that represents NBC’s station partners.

Foregoing the 10 p.m. slot would be a cost-cutting move for NBC since broadcast ratings have continued to decline as other companies, NBC Universal and parent company Comcast among them, continue to broaden their streaming horizons. This would save nearly seven hours per week for NBC, effectively saving the network tens of millions of dollars.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/nbc-plans-to-st…

For those who haven’t noticed, prime time TV is increasingly overrun with insipid singing and dancing shows. Several weeks ago, CBS cancelled the reboot “Magnum PI” in spite of decent ratings. The network’s explanation of the cancellation implied reasons of cost. Therefore, the MBAa at the network calculated that another show, with mediocre ratings, but drastically lower production costs, would be more profitable.

Why Was ‘Magnum P.I.’ Canceled? CBS Boss Explains

The reboot, starring Jay Hernandez, is one of the few network dramas to feature a Latino lead. Its cancellation was reportedly due to licensing fee disagreements between CBS and Universal Television, per Deadline. Despite the show’s popularity (it ranked No. 9 out of CBS’s 14 network dramas, per TVLine), CBS and Universal Television reportedly could not reach an agreement.

Universal and CBS’s other shows, the FBI franchise and The Equalizer, were renewed. As were CSI: Vegas and S.W.A.T., which had less viewership than Magnum P.I. Kahl said the licensing disagreement was one of the contributing factors behind the cancellation.

https://www.tvinsider.com/1045100/magnum-p-i-cancellation-ex…

Now, “Magnum” has been picked up by NBC, for two seasons of 10 eps each, which is probably a new low ep count for a “season”. Of course, if NBC follows through on cutting it’s prime time schedule, that will be the end of “Magnum” again, for reasons of cost, because another insipid singing and dancing show will have a better bottom line. The networks wonder why their ratings are falling, when they offer schlock product.

Steve…has reached a lifetime low of interest in new production network programming: zero. Are the MBAs happy now?

data…data…data: 146 rated prime time shows for 2021-22. “Magnum” was #24.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/2021-22-tv-rati…

5 Likes

Steve…has reached a lifetime low of interest in new production network programming: zero. Are the MBAs happy now?

As I recall, the person in charge is the CEO, not the MBA.

The MBA may state facts, but the CEO is responsible for the decisions.

If a CEO lacks vision and foresight, don’t blame the MBA. Blame the CEO. Or even the BOD. The job of the MBA is to tell you the cost, which is not necessarily what the best decision for the company is.

AW

4 Likes

What is a TV?

2 Likes

Steve, just because you’re unhappy doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea. Radio networks used to produce and air dramas, mysteries and the like (and talent shows) every night of the week. Haven’t come across one lately…

DB2

I confess that I find it too much of a bother to remember when to turn the TV on to watch a show. I much prefer to watch it on demand from a streaming service. There is already a glut of shows, so much so that it is more pain than I prefer to figure out what to watch on TV, and pick up the laptop instead. Too many choices tend to throw me into analysis paralysis, increasing stress rather than alleviating it.

We’ve never been a big TV family, so no doubt not a trend setter here.

IP

1 Like

If a CEO lacks vision and foresight, don’t blame the MBA.

I have commented, from time to time, over the last few years, how the B-School at Whatsamatta U has gone all in on “analytics”. Beancounters have always been derided for their lack of vision/foresight/creativity, and only looking at what can be immediately quantified. Now everyone in b-school, regardless of concentration, is being indoctrinated with analytics. Western can’t be the only one advocating this mechanical way of running things. The USian CEO often seems to have only one priority: stuffing as much money as possible in his own pocket. CEO says to the new MBAs “how can I juice profits, to juice my bonus?” It appears that, in TV, the MBAs plug the data into their computer, turn the dial to short term profit maximization, and the computer spits out “issue schlock product that gets mediocre ratings, but costs peanuts to produce.”, so that is what the CEO orders.

Another industry that has been infected with analytics is baseball. I was watching the Twins/Giants game last night. The Twins pitcher gave up one run. He was sat down after 5 innings. The reliever retired all four batters he faced. He was sat down, and another reliever brought in. Looks like over-managing, taking pitchers out when they have good stuff and aren’t tired, but that is apparently what the analytics computer dictates. I’ve lost count of the times in recent years when a pitcher has been doing well, but hits a pre-set pitch count, so is sat down, then the reliever looses the game.

I bet the auto industry is thoroughly infected with analytics too. Everyone is doing the same thing, pushing ever larger, ever more expensive, SUVs, while discontinuing everything else, as if consumer tastes and market conditions will never, ever change, and they can push prices to infinity.

Steve

1 Like

If a CEO lacks vision and foresight, don’t blame the MBA. Blame the CEO. Or even the BOD. The job of the MBA is to tell you the cost, which is not necessarily what the best decision for the company is.

Ford CEO: Jim Farly, MBA
GM CEO: Mary Barra, MBA
Mercedes CEO: Ola Källenius, basically the foreign version MBA - educated in business, economics, finance, mamagement
BMW CEO: Oliver Zipse, MBA

What if the CEO IS the MBA?

–Peter, MBA

1 Like

The networks wonder why their ratings are falling, when they offer schlock product.

Tru dat!

I haven’t watched any network shows for so long I don’t remember when I lost interest.

I used to watch 60 Minutes until it got too political.

1 Like

Ford CEO: Jim Farly, MBA
GM CEO: Mary Barra, MBA
Mercedes CEO: Ola Källenius, basically the foreign version MBA - educated in business, economics, finance, mamagement
BMW CEO: Oliver Zipse, MBA

Barra has a BSEE underlying the MBA. Farly has an economics degree, perfect for a front man for analytics.

I talked to several auto industry recruiters in the 70s. The baseline requirements for them to even look at you for product planning was a bachelor’s in engineering, and an MBA.

Steve…MBA 1981.