Afrm joins with American Airlines

Afrm joins with American Airlines for BNPL. Another company coming on line.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3759003-affirm-stock-climb-6-a…

Andy

7 Likes

Is American trying to fill seats that, because of their iffy if not poor reputation among other reasons, might otherwise go empty by offering BNPL? If so, is this really good news for Affirm? Some of the comments on the SA article echo similar concerns.

As for American’s reputation, I’ll offer this as food for thought, leaving aside anecdotes (of which there are plenty): it’s been ranked the worst US airline by the Wall Street Journal for the last two years. The WSJ bases its rankings on objective data (see article for methodology) so I give it more credibility than other sources…and, of course, take it with a grain of salt.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-best-and-worst-u-s-airlines…

Regardless of American’s place on the worst airline list, I think it’s another example of the rapidly shifting marketplace…and by marketplace, I mean literally anyone that sells anything online and eople pay with a CC. Every seller will likely partner with some form of BNPL facilitator in the next few years, or get left behind the curve.

As a side, I went to Tiffany’s website and tossed a $5000 ring into my cart, and went to checkout. You wanna know what my payment options were??? Credit card only, lol. I guess Tiffany and the high end market might be exempt from this movement…for now :wink:

R4M (Already hitched and ditched the ring, but in a budding relationship with AFRM shares)

10 Likes

Is American trying to fill seats that

Of course they are trying to fill seats, that’s what airlines do

As for American’s reputation, I’ll offer this as food for thought, leaving aside anecdotes (of which there are plenty): it’s been ranked the worst US airline by the Wall Street Journal for the last two years. The WSJ bases its rankings on objective data (see article for methodology) so I give it more credibility than other sources…and, of course, take it with a grain of salt.

Airlines are a commodity. I don’t think I have ever gone and checked out the reputation of an Airline. I have flown a lot and pretty much know which airlines I like the best. The only time I think I would check out their reputation is if I was flying really long distance. Like from the U.S to Europe or Australia. Because then I would want to be really comfortable because of the distance I am flying. But here in the United States, where most flights are 3 hours or less, I look for price and no stop, straight through flights. If Alaska Airlines comes up and they are reasonable, I will go with them, because I like their employees and their planes but other than that they are all just commodities.

Andy

5 Likes