Alteryx testimonials

On the Alteryx website they have video testimonials from people at companies from Western Union to Southwest Airlines, to Accenture and Dansk Bank. What fun! What happy people! Granted, they ARE testimonials, but the IT people seem soooo… happy with what they, and even their non-IT people, can do with Alteryx’s products. If you are considering an investment it’s worth taking 10-15 minutes and watching a half dozen or so of the testimonials, which last about 2 ½ minutes each.

https://www.alteryx.com/resources?type=testimonial&topic…

Saul

16 Likes

I love they’re product suite. I bailed after the data exposure. I’m still a little leery, but you’ve just about got me convinced to get back in. Thinking about it . . .

3 Likes

I love they’re product suite. I bailed after the data exposure. I’m still a little leery, but you’ve just about got me convinced to get back in. Thinking about it . . .

Hi Brittlerock,
Well I’ve taken advantage of the small pullback after the data exposure to make it one of my largest positions, probably the fastest I’ve done that for any company in many years, but that’s just me, and I’ve been very wrong before.
Best,
Saul

3 Likes

Saul, what did you sell to buy more AYX?

Saul, what did you sell to buy more AYX?

I’ll probably discuss it in my end of the month summary.
Saul

I’ll probably discuss it in my end of the month summary.
Saul

I’ve seen at least a couple of people ask Saul this question and get the same response. Let me must say that in the lifetime of a stock holding these end of the month summaries are more than timely enough.

Yeah, I’m curious too!

Jeb

8 Likes

IT people seem soooo… happy with what they, and even their non-IT people, can do with Alteryx’s products

Customer testimonials are pretty common. Don’t read much into it.

2 Likes

Those of you who listened to the testimonials may have noticed that some of those happy people
are also using big brother Tableau. Right now Tableau partners with little brother Alteryx because
Alteryx can do data prep, data blending, predictive analysis, and geospatial analysis much better
than Tableau.

However, if you’re thinking of investing in Alteryx for more than a year or two, you may find it
worthwhile to acquaint yourself with Tableau’s 3-year road map. Look at the key areas Tableau is
addressing on that road map and how it might affect Alteryx down the road.

https://www.tableau.com/about/blog/2016/11/tc16-vision-keyno…

One of the first steps on that road map is the recent beta release of Project Maestro – not yet
competitive with Alteryx data prep.

http://www.jenunderwood.com/2017/10/18/between-lines-tableau…

Ears

12 Likes

One of the first steps on that road map is the recent beta release of Project Maestro – not yet
competitive with Alteryx data prep.

http://www.jenunderwood.com/2017/10/18/between-lines-tableau…

Hi ears, Thanks for the links. From the link you sourced, it doesn’t look as if Maestro will be able to compete with Alteryx any time soon, but it’s certainly something to watch:

One question that came up was “Will Project Maestro take share from Alteryx, Datawatch and other data prep vendors? From what I saw thus far, Project Maestro looks like a basic level offering that only feeds data into Tableau. If you need deep data prep capabilities or other data source destinations outside of Tableau, you’ll still need another data prep tool.

Saul

1 Like

Hey ears,
My company uses Tableau, and I plan to run Alteryx by our BI team. I thought the testimonials were well done; better than most that I’ve seen.

~TracyK

3 Likes

Ears, thanks for the links, very useful. I have a 1/2 position in AYX because I like the fundamentals and its future potential. It does raise the question in my mind about Tableau shorting their time to market with data prep tools as well as some of the desirable features of other AYX tools by acquiring AYX. It seems to be a common practice in the software sector. Curious what others think of this possibility. Long AYX regardless.

Regards,
Jim

1 Like

Saul - thanks for posting this…

On Kingran’s cautions - i think its fair not to drink cool aid…
however, I don’t think its that easy to get big name customers to come up on video testimony…
Sure, they may have been treated well by the sales person, however, in many companies, they do need to to go through internal approval hassle to show up in a suppliers video… and people don’t do this without a vendor having made high level of impact on the organization…

So i think this is very powerful… and as Saul mentioned, the attitude of these guys in the video is amazing…

ears - thanks for links. reading the blog you linked to was very informative…
I did make some money early on with Qlik but it was pretty soon obvious to me that the ceiling was rather low… (which it eventually proved to be)…

I bought half position… looking to free cash to make it full position over next few weeks.

Nilvest

5 Likes

Couple of points of caution I came across - each one of them relatively minor… but worth keeping an eye on

1. Glassdoor reviews of Alteryx is 3.5 now… has gone down from 4.3 in last 12 months… this shows a significant deterioration… specially for a SW / data / cloud company, its typical to see 4+
    Having said this, its not unusual for a new IPO company… management gets under and creates pressure… until everyone figures out how to deal with street without breaking the company…
    However, something to watch for…

2. Its typical VC funded firm going IPO… has class B shared held by management and VCs… they have 10x voting right over class A shares that trade…
    2 issues with it… (a) its hard to find and track real insider holding… (b) management will have unduly large control compared to rest of the investors…
    I looked at original IPO offer and (as I remember) management team has ~6M class B shares… thats ~10%… even with some selling, it will be high enough for them to keep control at the same time, keep eyes on the ball…

3. Management, specially CEO, has grown up with this company… its a 20 years old company… in general this is a good thing in a slow moving business… which is what they were for all these time… however, they have built this platform in a fast moving market and its quite possible to see they wont even know when they fumble… something you see often in fast growing markets and fast growing companies…

nilvest

8 Likes

Here’s what’s interesting to me about Tableau’s “Project Maestro”:

(1) They decided to build not buy.
(2) They designed it as a stand alone product.
(3) They got it to market quickly, even though this is a beta first release.

Don’t ignore the other milestones on Tableau’s 3-year road map – analytics, geo.

Then there is the other gorilla – Microsoft. Right now Alteryx front-ends Microsoft’s Power BI
in some shops in the same way in front-ends Tableau in other shops. Alteryx is currently good at
doing some things Power BI can’t do. YET.

Right now Alteryx has a niche.

Here are the questions I’d be asking about Alteryx…if my investment horizon was greater than one year:

(1) What is it that makes their product unique?

(2) How are Tableau and Microsoft planning to change that?

Ears <no position in Alteryx, Tableau, or Microsoft>

17 Likes

Hi Ears… agree with your points… and worry about how Tablue will surprise AYX…

However, at least for a year, AYX seems to be on a roll

And there are multiple possible outcomes… e.g. it’s not Tableu who will buy AYX but it could be MSFT or CRM or SAP that would want to buy AYX…

E.g. AYX is successful in products / categories of data analysis/ visualization far beyond that BI category that’s driving the growth today…

So by no means this is SHOP or SQ, it certainly looks a like a train worth getting on for year and watch how it moves forward.

1 Like

however, I don’t think its that easy to get big name customers to come up on video testimony.

I just looked at one of my customers, South West, testimonial. That is from an individual contributor and for comparison looked at our reference is 4 level higher.

3 Likes

Here are the questions I’d be asking about Alteryx…if my investment horizon was greater than one year:
(1) What is it that makes their product unique?
(2) How are Tableau and Microsoft planning to change that?

Thanks ears, those are good cautions!

Saul

2 Likes

it’s worth taking 10-15 minutes

Surely no company would feature derogatory testimonies.

RGB

1 Like

Here is a new Alteryx article on Seeking Alpha:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4134488-best-buys-ai-race-p…

The AI software market is expected to grow 28x between 2016 and 2025.

The high cost and low supply of AI programmers will create huge demand for AI driven software and web services in the years to come.

Alteryx, Inc. and Wix.com are both well positioned to grow within this sector of the AI Revolution.

Here are the questions I’d be asking about Alteryx…

This space will go through consolidation and some players will be bought out (lucky for investors) or will just bleed to death (bad for investors and customers).

But the consolidation will happen. Most likely trigger for the consolidation is a market correction, when the companies can no longer issue stocks to their employees or raise capital and this will become a self fulfilling cycle, requiring companies to cut down SGA, which will hurt the sales and will further drive down the price.

Until then… it doesn’t matter.

1 Like