AMBA

The first link’s about GPR0, 30% of revenue for AMBA.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gopro-shares-continues-fall-h…

The significant share drop price drop followed the cautious comments of Chief Financial Officer (‘CFO’) Jack Lazar, who spoke at the Citi 2015 Global Tech Conference on Sep 9.

Article from fool.com:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/09/10/better-bad-…

Ambarella: Big threats ahead
Ambarella SoCs process high-definition video for a wide variety of devices, including security cameras, in-dash cams, action cameras, and drones. Orders from GoPro account for about a third of its top line. Robust demand for GoPro devices and other products boosted Ambarella revenue 79% annually last quarter – up from 73.5% growth in the first quarter and 25% growth in the year-ago period.

Those numbers look solid, but investors are concerned that Ambarella customers could start buying mobile SoCs based on smartphone chipsets instead of its dedicated image processing SoCs. Evidence of this shift can be seen in Ambarella’s loss of a bid to Qualcomm, the largest mobile chipmaker in the world, to supply SoCs for action cam maker 4GEE. Qualcomm’s development of SoCs and cameras for consumer drones has also cast a long shadow over Ambarella’s future in that growing market.

QUALCOMM’S SNAPDRAGON CARGO DRONE. SOURCE: QUALCOMM

Morgan Stanley analysts believe that on their own, mobile SoCs remain less cost-effective than Ambarella’s SoCs. But if mobile SoCs are integrated with cellular capabilities, they actually become cost-effective for devices like the 4GEE camera, touted as the world’s first 4G action cam. This means that if action cam and drone makers like GoPro make cellular connections standard for their devices, Ambarella could be crushed by the competition.

…I’ve been buying, most recently @ 64.06; anyone else?

8 Likes

I’m learning from this market I must be more of a technical trader than a buy and hold type investor. I recently joined MFRB in late July using about 15% of my portfolio for high growth risk taking. GPRO and AMBA have very high correlation over the last 6 months and are both down 50% from their highs (right when I started to be an active trader). I’m still holding these, but I find that buy and hold just locks up your funds. They drop so far that most people will just let them sit there hoping for a rebound. If I instead placed stop loss orders at key support levels, I would at least have my funds back to reassess my options. I’m also reading more risk on these stocks then this is a great buying opportunity for them.

Saul,
I’ve learned ALOT from your posts and appreciate all of the sharing on this board of how to do due diligence on companies and those that have shared the results of that. I’m really struggling on when you decide to sell and take the loss and move on and when to just keep holding. MFRB seems to not place a HOLD or SELL until your broke.

1 Like

I’m really struggling on when you decide to sell and take the loss and move on and when to just keep holding.

Hi RRR, I have a whole section in the Knowledgebase on when I sell. Hope that helps.
Saul

I just had this thought when I read this thread:

AMBA needs GoPro more than GoPro needs AMBA?

GoPro has a product, brand, market share, etc. and could potentially buy from various manufactures (QCOMM) for the necessary parts to make their products. There seems to be more volatility with chip manufacturing than in the actual action camera market. I’ve never heard anyone say they want an action camera, but I hear lots of people say they want a GoPro…

I understand that AMBA can and does sell their products to other companies, but its the concept of bringing something to market (action camera) and the competition or changes in the chip market. And a third of AMBA’s revenue comes from GoPro.

So there was this huge (40%) drop in GoPro’s stock price because of less than stellar remarks on future growth, which were linked or symbiotic, to a manufacture of chips for their products. Is it possible (haha, I know) that in a few months, Q1 for 2016, their revenue/earnings aren’t linked so closely to AMBA and their revenue continues to rise like they have the past couple years?

Is the advantage GoPro’s, and therefor do they have the ability to increase their margins at AMBA’s expense?

These things just pop into my head, so feel free to bash them and school me on my mistakes.

Robert
highly convicted in GPRO
no position in AMBA

3 Likes

HI SAUL
i HAVE READ AND REREAD ABOUT WHEN YOU WILL SELL. i ALSO GAVE BEEN READING EVERYBODY’S COMMENTS ON THIS AND THE AMBA BOARD. MOST OF WHICH ARE POSITIVE. HOWEVER THE PRICE KEEPS GOING DOWN WAY BEYOND MY COMFORT LEVEL. YOU SAY THAT YOU DON’T SELL UNLESS THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IN THE POLICY OR THE WAY A COMPANY IS PERFORMING SOOOOOOOOO, I’M ASSUMING YOU ARE STILL HANGING IN THERE WITH US. AM I CORRECT?

GAYLE

1 Like

Hi Saul:

as an example in action, would you buy AMBA now?

The 1YPEG looks great.

tj

Folks, why does it matter that AMBA is down? Seriously. In the grand scheme of things, what difference does it really make? And I say this as someone living off my portfolio.

And would you be asking all these doom-and-gloom questions if the stock was up instead? There is absolutely nothing about the price of the stock that affects the prospects of the business.

Your portfolio value today already reflects all the decline in AMBA, and in SWKS, and in INFN, and in whatever else you own that has gone down recently. But if the businesses are continuing to execute (and all of them are, as far as I can tell), that just means more potential for future gains. And I like that. I like where my portfolio is positioned today.

There will always be risks for any company and any investment. But those risks don’t increase just because the stock price drops. You bought the stock because you thought it was inexpensive relative to the company’s future prospects. Now it’s just more inexpensive relative to those prospects, which for some people might spell opportunity.

Neil
Long AMBA, SWKS, INFN, and other stocks that have declined recently.

29 Likes

First, watch that caps lock key.

Then make a chart with the YPEG and no price. Sell when the YPEG reached the proper point, not when the price does. Price anchoring will kill you. Pros have that problem. Amateurs absolutely have that problem. Super terrible investors like myself live and die with that problem.

Cheers
Qazulight

5 Likes

THANKS NEIL FOR YOUR RESPONSE.
I TOO RECOGNISE A GOOD DEAL AMBA IS. I HAVE PURCHASED ADDITIONAL SHARES 3 OR 4 TIMES SINCE THE PRICE STARTED DROPPING. I ALSO LIKE WHAT I SEE IN MY CHARTS AND EARNINGS REPORTS HOWEVER, I AM NOT AS PROFICIENT AS SAUL AND YOU AND SO MANY OTHERS ON THIS BOARD SO I BROUGHT THE QUESTION UP JUST TO SEE IF THERE WAS SOMETHING GOING ON THAT I DIDN’T SEE. I GUESS THERE ISN’T ANYTHING WRONG JUST MISTER MARKET DOING IT’S THING. I WILL BE HOLDING FOR THE DURATION OR UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS TO CHANGE MY MIND. AT LEAST I STOPPED BUYING MORE. IT’S 11% OF MY PORTFOLIO NOW.
THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

GAYLE

Morgan Stanley analysts believe that on their own, mobile SoCs remain less cost-effective than Ambarella’s SoCs. But if mobile SoCs are integrated with cellular capabilities, they actually become cost-effective for devices like the 4GEE camera, touted as the world’s first 4G action cam. This means that if action cam and drone makers like GoPro make cellular connections standard for their devices, Ambarella could be crushed by the competition.</I?

Why can’t AMBA add cellular chipset capabilities?

Ant

1 Like

Neil et al,

Due to price anchoring, I watched AMBA go up from $20 without ever buying. I’ll get over the price anchoring one day hopefully.

However, after the recent drop, AMBA is looking much more attractive obviously.

I’d like to know your thoughts on some of the recent news. For instance, I’ve heard it reported that roughly 1/3 of their sales are attributed to GoPro device sales. I’m not sure if that is factual nor do I follow GoPro. What do folks think of this? How big of a risk is GoPro?

The next question is most likely impossible to answer, but I’ll ask it anyway. One of the reasons I like SWKS is based on management’s claim of being involved early in the design cycle. This seems to suggest a lower risk of competitive threats typically seen in the chip field. How at risk is AMBA of being designed out of products?

For instance, mkcochrane posted the following:
http://discussion.fool.com/qualcomm-looking-to-build-ultimate-dr…

This appears to be a threat to future drone business for AMBA although that market is a small portion of current sales I believe.

Just thinking out loud here and any input is appreciated.

Regards,
A.J.

2 Likes

Gayle, Please don’t use all caps for your entire message. It’s like shouting, it’s a little rude, and it’s very, very hard to read. Thanks
Saul

7 Likes

Saul,
Sorry about that. I know better too because it bothers me when I read it. I forgot when I typed it out that cap lock was on and I didn’t notice it until I reread after I sent it. Won’t let it happen again. When you get to my age you do stupid things sometimes. I hope holding AMBA isn’t one of them.
Thanks again.

Gayle

3 Likes

And this is my worry. AMBA is best in class in the SoC dedicated chipset. Qualcomm, Intel and others are dedicating resources for drone intelligence (don’t ask me for links it’s been all over the news) using snapdraggon w/ 4K plug ins. With so much excitement in the drone market there’s going to be a lot of people pushing into this and it’s going to become commoditized very soon. I’m beginning to feel that AMBA’ life won’t be nearly as long as it’s technologies. It will just be living with someone else. Not sure the runway Ive read 2016-17 at the most.

Alex

3 Likes

I’d like to know your thoughts on some of the recent news

A.J., I think this is one of those times where it’s really worth doing your own research and coming to your own conclusions. I think it’s just too easy to get scared out of a stock during volatile times if you don’t fully understand the company and why you’re invested in it. It’s too easy to start second-guessing yourself. You need to be comfortable with the current situation, the risks (there are always risks), and the future prospects of the company.

Here is my brief opinion on the news items you mentioned.

• Yes, AMBA does a lot of sales to GoPro, but it is increasingly becoming diversified and selling now to other wearable camera manufacturers, as well as other industries: security cams, drone cams, probably auto soon, body cams for law enforcement, etc.

About Qualcomm and Intel:

• Yes, Qualcomm and Intel are entering the drone market. Competition isn’t new: AMBA already deals with competitors.

• It’s not clear yet if these new entrants will be directly competing for the same customers AMBA does. They give the impression that they’re going after the low end, whereas AMBA does best in the high end, but we’ll have to see.

• Drones are just a single industry that AMBA competes in.

• If the drone industry truly explodes into something as huge as people say, there will probably be room for multiple winners.

• I think the VisLab acquisition could prove to be a big game changer for AMBA. Computer vision is going to become increasingly critical for industries like security, drones, and auto (and even wearables). Anyone familiar with Avigilon already knows how important it is for security (object tracking, license plate reading, etc). I think it’s also going to be critical for drones, allowing them to be much smarter (go find that lost hiker, or the cow that wandered away) and react much better to current conditions (avoid collisions with objects and other drones – the Lily drone, which Karen mentioned here when it was announced, cannot avoid trees). And of course it’ll be critical for automotive (which is what VisLab specializes in): not just self-driving, but also many forms of “assistance” as conditions suddenly change (breaking when a kid runs out into the road, or steps behind the car when it’s backing up). It could pave the way for facial recognition, body language cues, or perhaps even weapon detection for body cams for law enforcement (pure speculation on my part). So VisLab probably brings technology and talent that can be leveraged across the many verticals AMBA is competing in and growing into.

• I think it’s easy to compare offerings based just on raw specs and price and draw conclusions, but I think that oversimplifies the buying choices in many cases (and certainly at the high end, where AMBA tends to compete). Apple vs. Samsung illustrates this concept, albeit in a different industry: Samsung (and other Android manufacturers) would always tout some superior raw spec, but that rarely translated into a superior overall experience: there were just too many other things that also mattered, and now we’re seeing Apple crush Samsung as consumers increasingly realize that (perhaps after trying an Android device or two). Again, it’s not an apples-to-apples comparison (no pun intended), but what’s going to matter at the high end of these markets is the ability to deliver value to users: if you’re buying a drone for search and rescue, you don’t care how fast the processor is, you care about whether you can find a lost kid on the mountain who got separated from her parents, which involves a lot of things coming together: great computer vision to spot the kid, great battery life to do a meaningful search, the ability for the drone to safely dip down below the tree cover while avoiding trees and rocks, high resolution photos to help spot tracks or other evidence of someone passing by recently, etc. If AMBA’s tech can help drone manufacturers accomplish these things in a superior way, I think that’s going to matter a lot more.

These are just my thoughts, though. It’s certainly possible that QCOM and INTC crush AMBA in drones, and then move in to other industries too. But I also know that one of the big mistakes I’ve made in the past is getting scared out of stocks by tail risks: I was convinced the cable companies would crush Netflix once it became clear they were a threat, using their clout with content companies to prevent licensing to Netflix on the one hand, and throttling bandwidth on the other; and if they didn’t do in Netflix, I was convinced Amazon would with their Prime video service. But while both of those were/are legitimate threats, none of have become meaningful: Netflix continues to thrive and grow, and I missed out on a huge winner. I’ve seen people avoid UPS because they were convinced 3D printing was going to spell an end to package delivery; people talking about the demise of MasterCard and Visa because of potential disruption to that industry; people talked about how Google Plus was going to kill Facebook; and practically every year there was a new iPod-killer, iPhone-killer, iPad-killer, iTunes-killer, you name it – often with superior specs and cheaper prices – and yet none of them have ever made a dent in Apple. There are always risks, always threats: that’s just a reality in investing, as is the market’s approach of shooting first and asking questions later. And it can happen to big companies with huge moats: right now Disney’s stock has been crushed because people worry about the effect of cord-cutters on ESPN. Really? Seriously?

I don’t want to play down the threats from Qualcomm and Intel. It’s quite possible they’ll come to dominate the drone market, pushing AMBA out, and maybe – flush with success – even move into other verticals in which AMBA is competing or looking to compete. This could be the beginning of the end of AMBA as we know it. That’s why it’s just one part of my portfolio. But I also know that, many times, these risks are remote and overblown: AMBA is not standing still, after all. We’ll just have to see how it plays out over time, but I will be looking for a meaningful impact to AMBA’s business rather than hypothetical what-if’s. Right now I believe the business is doing just fine.

Again, A.J., I recommend doing your own research and coming to your own conclusions. I could be terribly wrong about the above, and even if I’m right that doesn’t mean AMBA is the company for you. If you do decide to invest, you need to decide on an allocation that accounts for the risks you see (and considers the ones you don’t). I often suspect a lot of the anxiety arising from big drops in stock prices is related to over-allocation in one’s portfolio during the good times, when all we see by holding back is the opportunity cost of future gains. The time to very seriously think about allocation, and what you’re genuinely comfortable losing, is when you’re buying – not after the stock has been cut in half. You don’t want to put yourself in the position of buying high and selling low because you start to wonder if maybe you’re over-exposed to a company after the share price plummets (and believe me, I’ve been there!).

Just a few thoughts.

Neil
Long AMBA

69 Likes

Hi Neil, What a great post! thanks!
Saul

1 Like

AMBA defended by Stifel this morning after meeting with management.
They believe the company has at least a one year lead on their core video
processing technology and expect the lead to grow with the addition of computer vision to their processors.

Rob
Long AMBA

6 Likes