Americans Are Split on Abortion

wasn’t sure where (or if) to post this on TMF…

A Reuters/Ipsos poll from December found 23% of Americans believe abortion should be legal in all cases and 26% believe it should be legal in most cases.

In contrast, 25% believe abortion should be illegal in most cases, and 12% believe it should be illegal in all cases.

Americans are also split on who should decide whether abortion is legal or not: 38% say the federal government, 34% say each state government, and 28% are unsure.

https://politicalwire.com/2022/05/03/americans-are-split-on-…

Perhaps running polls here is a bridge too far?

1 Like

I read once that conservatives never wanted to win this issue. They just wanted to use it to motivate their base. Now it looks like they will win it, temporarily. This likely will have the effect of motivating the pro-choice folks.

And it does need to be federal, for a variety of reasons. Among them being that bodily autonomy should be a fundamental right that applies to everyone, not subject to the whims of a subset of the population (i.e. state or municipality).

8 Likes

Hi alsroemeria!

TMF just closed boards that were deemed non-investing related. Politics was apparently one thing they were trying to minimize at TMF, since both conservative and liberal political boards were closed.

Sure “politics” can often affect investing, but let’s not repeat the past, wherein many a fine board devolved into nothing but partisan politics.

Cheers!
Murph
BL Home Fool
(who does not speak for TMF; just himself)

3 Likes

Yeahbut Murph, FB sux! I mean [redacted].

3 Likes

Sure “politics” can often affect investing, but let’s not repeat the past, wherein many a fine board devolved into nothing but partisan politics.

If you don’t have boards that serve as outlets for socializing and politics, then socializing and politics will invade investing boards. I remember the NOK board…it exploded with politics after 9/11. A separate board was created for that, and NOK went back to discussing the company.

IMHO, it is better to have “off topic” boards where people can go, than to have only “on topic” boards where people will bring off-topic stuff. It will happen. Even tightly policed boards like Saul’s get them occasionally. They are promptly deleted, but often not until several folks have chimed-in (which usually results in entire thread deletion).

1poorguy

7 Likes

If you don’t have boards that serve as outlets for socializing and politics, then socializing and politics will invade investing boards…

I agree, 1poorguy, but, as a Home Fool it was not my call.

My point was that if we get to be dominated by politics, we might lose this board too.

Cheers!
Murph

1 Like

Try here, maybe if political posts are contained here, the landlord might leave posters alone???

https://discussion.fool.com/political-fools-114823.aspx?mid=3510…

1 Like

I didn’t think it was any single Fool’s call, except maybe one of the Gardner brothers. I was just commenting to you as a Fool employee.

I suspect you’re going to have problems with either a drastic drop in board usage, or a surge in off-topic posts that will need policing. Neither is a desirable outcome, IMHO.

1poorguy

6 Likes

Amazing that board is still open.

I suspect, though obviously don’t know for sure, that the new boards software will give TMF more visibility into what topics are being discussed, making them less reliant on the “Report a Post” self-moderating system. So they probably will find it much easier to keep politics out of the investment boards, and probably easier to monitor and purge overly political threads elsewhere.

Albaby

1 Like

Thanks LurkerMom!

I knew Political Asylum and Conservative Fools was gone; did not know about this board.

Cheers!
Murph

1 Like

This likely will have the effect of motivating the pro-choice folks.

Yep, Biden’s numbers are so bad its almost a given that Republicans will retake the house in the election this fall. Unless they screw it up. And perhaps abortion is the issue to do it.

1 Like

Yep, Biden’s numbers are so bad its almost a given that Republicans will retake the house in the election this fall. Unless they screw it up. And perhaps abortion is the issue to do it.

A silver lining to every cloud. :wink:

Really. There’s even a silver lining to the hubster’s dementia. Having to do everything, even taking physical care of him, has made me physically stronger than I’ve been for a couple of decades.

3 Likes