Andersen Glide window

Ackkk!

A bit of interior trim came off the passive side of our 40x36 Glide window I installed back in 1994… Problem was it dropped into he space between the passive(L) and active ® windows, so late last night I couldn’t get it out or close, latch the window…

Today I removed the active side, after finding the Anderson instructions as well as the video… the trim piece’s glue had given up, so earlier I used some dabs of construction glue and put it back where it belonged…

But getting the active window back in, naturally at arm’s length over the kitchen counter is being tough on me… Had it in, but the bottom glides are resisting getting over into heir slots… gave up, pulled it out again… Resting…

The video makes it look easy, but he’s not reaching way out there…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_v0Rcoazis&t=368s

OK, end of rant/whine, hopefully the next try makes it… Definitely disrupted my day…

Oops, forgot the guide…

https://www.andersenwindows.com/~/media/aw/files/technical-d…

The olde Danish stubbornness came through… Trying to see with the evening sun in my eyes, so up with the deck umbrella, but then needed a flashlight and 2 spatulas to jiggle and wiggle and finally see, line up the glides as well as reverse one so it tripped the release so it would lock… Was so close…

In the end better as that trim piece won’t ever come off… No need for a trip to the hardware store for Construction glue… So zero cost at least, but if I’d known a window guy, I would have called him/her earlier…

Still like to find a local whizkid, one of the Andersen French doors is misaligned, I’ve spent hours trying to get it right… there are 3 others here, they are fine, but this one is even more stubborn than me!

Looking back this 40x36 Glide window over the sink was $605 in 1994, when I put it in, replacing an original tract single pane, aluminum frame window. I imagine today this window is over $1K, so it’s well worth fixing… Over the years I’ve replaced all the windows/sliders, 90% Andersen, bath windows I tried Marvin, but the Andersen’s were easier installs…

OK beer time!

1 Like

Over the years I’ve replaced all the windows/sliders, 90% Andersen, bath windows I tried Marvin, but the Andersen’s were easier installs…

We had to replace a few big sliders that face southwest. When there’s a gale they get a little bit of salt spray so some rubber and seals failed and the dual panes fogged up.

The glass guys came out and measured. 8 weeks later they put the new glass in the frames and found the mismeasured by an inch.

2 moth later they came back with the correct size but, as we stood in the street to admire the shiny new sliders on the 2nd floor realized we could see into the bedroom. They had installed the panels facing in.

I wonder if the 3 guys get full pay from the shop when 2 of the 4 days on scene were due to errors.

Construction is always fun… What’s good is that I did all the window swaps while I was still working, actually both of us working, so it wasn’t that much of a cost hit as it would have been to do them all at once…

I mis-remembered on the last one, the master bedroom, thought it was the same as the other bedrooms, but it needed to be a foot wider! And the place I bought it, wouldn’t take it back! So I ate that cost, ordered the right one… Sold the errant one tp a friend for $100m still in the box! H used it in one of his apartments I think…

Doing it myself let me fiddle a bit with the framing if needed, I do have one the fogs once in a great while, but I’ll see if it gets worse…

On to new projects, hope to finish off the bathroom part tomorrow… maybe some garden trimming… Or the hearings might be distracting…

weco