Answering My Own Mongo Question

https://www.percona.com/blog/2018/10/30/20-mongodb-alternati…

Here are 20 “alternatives” to MongoDB. Of these only one, that is ONE, is even close to a replacement for MongoDB and that is CouchDB. An also ran, but a document store database that is targeted at start ups for the most part.

Note the common theme of all these “alternatives” none of them can substitute for what MongoDB does as a general purpose document database. The descriptions of each themselves admit as much. All these can do is handle this niche, or that niche, but have this short fall or that short fall if trying to substitute for MongoDB. Even Elastic, the description itself admits it falls shorts in certain respects.

So where do you go if you want a modern general purpose database? You go exactly where they go now:

Postgres (if your use case allows for it - and it works great as a hybrid), or MongoDB (which has use cases that even Postgres cannot really handle - and many that you need third party plug-ins and work arounds to make it work as all).

Everything else is an also ran. We are told that AWS DocumentDB has only 1/3 the functionality of 3.6 APIs to begin with. But lets say DocumentDB is a proper substitute, so you have the choice Mongo v. DocumentDB? Do you choose DocumentDB as the new standard and make AWS the default operating system for the world’s modern general purpose databases?

Again, let me know otherwise. It looks as if MongoDB is unique in an industry that is made up of 100s of databases, but only a few that the industry is flocking too. As such where are enterprises going to go if Mongo finds it necessary to protect itself and piss off the open source community? They just can’t fork it and offer it as a third-party commercial service. Enterprises are not going to put their mission critical databases onto a forked database just because they ideologically don’t agree with what Mongo is doing.

Thus, important question, is there anything else?

Thanks.

Tinker

15 Likes

Data is sticky and hard to migrate. I’m not sure why anyone would standardize on DocumentDB and irrevocably lock into AWS. The day will surely come when AWS starts aggressively jacking prices. Companies who don’t have a viable exit strategy are going to be left holding the bag.

2 Likes

A lot of conclusions being drawn about a database less than a week old on will it or won’t it. There are nothing but biased opinions right now (MongoDB is Pro MDB and Amazon is bullish DocumentDB)

The evidence for MDB hasn’t changed; watch Atlas numbers.

That’s where the story will unfold in 2019.

4 Likes

“AWS will start jacking prices”

Doubtful this is anytime soon. Cloud companies are in a race to the bottom currently, racing for market share through price and feature business warfare.

We have years of digital transformation in front of us.

If you don’t believe that, you should reconsider your investing thesis in this space.

3 Likes

“AWS will start jacking prices”

I would think the inclusion of all these extra capabilities within AWS is to help them maintain their pricing rather than increase pricing. AWS is already extremely expensive vs enterprise self serve cloud and other cloud infrastructure as a service players.

A

2 Likes

I would think the inclusion of all these extra capabilities within AWS is to help them maintain their pricing rather than increase pricing. AWS is already extremely expensive vs enterprise self serve cloud and other cloud infrastructure as a service players.

Defense vs. attack? Interesting point.

Denny Schlesinger

2 Likes