Avigilon Q1 2015

Avigilon Q115 report (All numbers in Canadian Dollars)

I want to thank Seekingalpha.com for the use of their transcripts and Sec.gov for the financials.

OverView of Quarter:

Run rate of over $300 Million , on target to achieve $500 million run rate by the end of 2016. They are now building out a manufacturing plant in Plano Texas that will give them the ability to grow revenues to 1 billion dollars. The video surveillance and electronic access control market is estimated at over $18 billion U.S. dollars in 2014 and growing to over $28 billion annually by the end of 2018. Sales Growth in Q1 was broadly based across their major geographic regions.
For the Quarter:

Three months ended March 31,        2015         2014     % Change     
United States                                                         41,611     28,363      47% 
EMEA                                                                  17,510     13,143      33% 
Canada                                                                 4,686      4,111      14%
United Kingdom                                                         4,348      4,704      -8% 
Asia Pacific                                                           4,023      3,224      25% 
Latin America                                                          3,243      2,205      47%     
Total revenues                                                         75,421    55,750      35%

Avigilon believes there are three significant trends that are transforming the video surveillance and access control industry, which are:

(1) the continuing shift to HD and IP-based systems; (2) the convergence of video surveillance and access control; and (3) the increasing deployment of intelligence-delivering analytics.

Globally and regionally, both the video surveillance and electronic access control markets are very fragmented, with no single dominant player. In 2013, it is estimated that the top 5 companies in the global video surveillance space comprised only 30% of the total market, the top 10 less than 42%, and the vast majority held less than 1% market share (Source: IHS Inc. 2014). For the electronic access control market, in 2013 it is estimated that the top 5 companies held 36% market share, while 57% of the market space was occupied by companies with market shares of less than 3% (Source: IHS Inc., 2014).

New Innovations:

They introduced the world’s first and only single sensor 7K security camera, They also introduced a highly versatile multi-sensor HD camera featuring up to four individually configurable sensors to address our growing need in the market for multidirectional cameras. Their security solutions are backed by 261 U.S. and international patents issued and 269 patents pending.
Employees:
At the end of Q1, They had 775 employees, up from 696 at the end of 2014. They are investing in people in all areas of the company .

Net Income Statement:

Revenue was up from 55,750 to 75,421 = 35%

Cost of Sales was up from 23,953 to 30,682. Cost of Sales has been coming down as a percentage of Revenue due to economy of scales. When the company first started out it was at 47% but is now down towards the low 40’s.

Gross Margins was up from 31,797 to 44,739 Gross Margins are going up, when they first started out it was in the low 50’s and it has gradually been improving where this quarter it is at 59%. Some of that is due to currency but also it has to do with product mix, economies of scale, purchasing power, and manufacturing efficiencies.

Sales and Marketing was up 72% YoY and up 6% as a percentage of revenue sequentially. It was at 28% of revenue and at the highest it has ever been. Although it has reached a level of 27% of revenue two times previously. It reached 28% of Revenue this quarter due to an increase in global sales and marketing teams. Management believes this will drive higher Revenues. The second quarter, next quarter, tends to be the highest due to trade shows.

General and Administrative was up 5% , sequentially, this quarter and has been increasing since they became public from 8% to now 18%. This has been increasing due to the additional personnel and related expense for growth of the company. They expect this to come down as a percentage of Revenue going forward.

Net Income has been mostly in the mid Teens since they have come public. Their adjusted Ebitda, a Non-Gaap measure, came down 7% to 15% from the previous quarter. Most of the decrease in Ebitda was due to foreign exchange gain which was backed out. Also their Amortization and Depreciation has been climbing.

EPS diluted on a Gaap basis came in at $.23 up 35% from $.17 but on an adjusted basis it came in at $ .17 down 11% from $.19. The difference was mainly from Foreign currency adjustment.

So the big concern this quarter was their operating expenses. As you can see they are putting a lot of money into Sales and Marketing and General and Administrative. Both of these were mostly due to the hiring of additional people.

Balance Sheet

Their Balance sheet has deteriorated this quarter. Their cash and cash equivalents went down 46% from $73.1 million dollars to $50.1 million dollars. Their Inventory is up slightly 4%. They are still debt free.
Cash Flow Statement
Avigilon was Free Cash Flow negative this quarter. They had a negative 6.08 million in FCF. That was up YoY from a negative 11.06 million of FCF. The big negative Items this quarter were the unrealized foreign exchange, inventories which were actually down from a year ago, and the trade and other payables, which I see as a positive, which has gone up 179% from the previous year to $6.7 million dollars.

Conclusion:

Avigilon’s First and Third quarter are generally their weakest quarters, and it showed this quarter with Revenue only climbing 35%. This is the weakest quarter they have had yet although by only a few percentage points. They are well on their way to a 500 million run rate that they set as a goal when they first became public. They set the goal for the end of 2016 and they claim they will hit it. They were asked what the next goal would be and they stated they would have to wait and see. They are building another plant down in Plano Texas that will allow them another $500 million in run rate giving them the ability to have $1 billion in run rate at that time. They are building out the company with sales and support staff also to help the company grow faster. At this time they only have 2% of the market. In 2014 the total market sat at $18 billion, by 2018 the market will be $30 billion. The market is highly fragmented and nobody in the market has a 10% market share. Avigilon is aggressively going after growth and pushing for their 500 million run rate. This is a goal that they have pushing for all along and they have not changed that plan. While I think this was a disappointing quarter because of the Revenue growth, Avigilon has always stated that the first and third quarters were always there weakest. The next quarter should be an easy comp to beat since Q214 was actually weak on the Earning per share side. Also they are looking into licensing some of their patents. This should help their margins. I see the growth in this field because everyone wants to have digital security cameras. I think Avigilon is excited about their company and Alexander Fernandes, the CEO is very intent on making the company a winner. He is building out the infrastructure for huge growth. Will the sales team that he is building bring huge revenue growth in the future? They are producing solid growth while staying profitable but the question is can they break out to the next level and get great Revenue growth along with high profitability? I am not sure yet but I want to give them a chance and see.

AIOCF----.17/.19= -11% EPS .78/.68 15% Price 14.40 P/E 22.86 1YPEG 1.52

Andy

26 Likes

Andy, great write-up and excellent analysis of Avigilon’s quarter. Thanks for your hard work.

Saul

1 Like

By the way, Andy figured his PE on Avignon correctly, converting earnings to US dollars, but for anyone casually looking at the figures, be aware that the 17 cents they reported was only 14 cents US, and the 78 cents for the trailing 12 months was only 63 cents US. The price of $14.40 that we look at is, of course, in US dollars, so to accurately compare earnings to price we have to think of earnings in US dollars too.

Thus, while we have good growth of revenue, their accelerated spending on personnel is leaving EPS growth of only 15%, and a PE at 23 even after the huge fall in price, with a 1YPEG of 1.5. Cash falling and Cash flow negative aren’t very inspiring either.

(The price has fallen from over $30 US in Jan 2014, and $23.70 in June 2014, to its current price of $14.40. Earnings had been going straight up until the March quarter of 2014, but then starting in the June quarter they leveled off as they began hugely increasing spending with the goal of growing revenue).

I’m keeping an eye on them but watching from the sidelines.

Saul

3 Likes

Your welcome Saul. I am just enjoying this board and how much I am learning. The 1YPEG went up pretty dramatically so I will not be adding to this. But one thing that just came out is that Avigilon is going to buying back shares because they think it is cheap. Here is the press release.

Avigilon Announces Normal Course Issuer Bid
05/08/2015
Download this Press Release ()

VANCOUVER, May 8, 2015 /CNW/ - Avigilon Corporation (“Avigilon” or the “Company”) (TSX:AVO), a leading global provider of end-to-end security solutions, announced today that the Toronto Stock Exchange (“TSX”) has approved a normal course issuer bid (the “Bid”), to be effected through the facilities of the TSX and alternative trading systems.

Avigilon’s Board of Directors believes the current price of Avigilon’s common shares (the “Shares”) does not properly reflect the underlying strength, operational track record, and growth potential of the business. Accordingly, the Board believes the purchase and cancellation of Shares under the Bid will be in the best interests of the Company and its remaining shareholders.
Pursuant to the Bid, the Company may purchase up to 3,789,740 Shares, representing approximately 10% of the public float. As of May 5, 2015, there were 46,638,069 issued and outstanding Shares, of which 37,897,409 Shares were in the public float. The Bid will commence on May 12, 2015 and will end no later than May 11, 2016. Shares purchased pursuant to the Bid will be returned to treasury and cancelled.
In accordance with TSX rules, daily purchases made by Avigilon under the Bid will not exceed 66,726 Shares, subject to certain prescribed exemptions, which is equal to 25% of Avigilon’s average daily trading volume on the TSX for the six calendar months ended April 30, 2015 which was 266,905 Shares.
Avigilon has implemented an automatic share purchase plan (the “Plan”) in respect of the Bid and has retained Canaccord Genuity Corp. (the “Broker”) as its broker to conduct the Bid on its behalf. The Plan permits the Broker to purchase Shares under the Bid at any time, including during internal blackout periods and when Avigilon is in possession of undisclosed material information, subject to certain price limitations and other parameters prescribed by the TSX, applicable securities laws and the terms of the Plan. Avigilon may also instruct the Broker to make specific purchases of Shares, and may suspend or terminate the Plan, provided that in each instance, Avigilon is not in possession of any undisclosed material information respecting Avigilon or its securities. The Plan has been approved by TSX.

1 Like

Thus, while we have good growth of revenue, their accelerated spending on personnel is leaving EPS growth of only 15%, and a PE at 23 even after the huge fall in price, with a 1YPEG of 1.5. Cash falling and Cash flow negative aren’t very inspiring either.

(The price has fallen from over $30 US in Jan 2014, and $23.70 in June 2014, to its current price of $14.40. Earnings had been going straight up until the March quarter of 2014, but then starting in the June quarter they leveled off as they began hugely increasing spending with the goal of growing revenue).

Your right Saul and I have been thinking over why I am still in the stock. Part of me wonders if I get to attached to the companies that I have researched, another part makes me wonders if, after researching the company, I see a way for the company to become very lucrative. I am still analyzing my decisions. I think, Saul, one thing that helps you in your investing, must be your career in psychology.

But here is my thoughts for the company and why I am still holding on whether it is right or wrong.

I believe they will hit their run rate of 500 million by the end of 2016. This might be a catalyst for the stock, Also, With a market of 30 billion by 2018 and Avigilon only has 2% of the market at this time, I can see huge growth, especially since the market is so fragmented. Also they are building out their company to grow. After the building in Texas is complete we should see there earnings start to march higher. Next quarter will be one of their better quarters and the analyst’s think that they will hit $.17, I think they will do better, at least $.25. Anyway, I am watching them and if the sales group can’t perform after all the money being spent on them I will be out.

Andy

2 Likes

After the building in Texas is complete we should see there earnings start to march higher.

Hi Andy, I’d suggest you moderate this expectation. First they have to get everything running, which will be expense without revenue. After that, running a big new factory at 10%, 20% or 30% capacity will probably be a money-losing proposition at first, because of the big overhead of the building. Once it gets up close to capacity I’d agree with you, but that will take quite a while, I’d guess.

Saul

3 Likes

Avigilon’s Board of Directors believes the current price of Avigilon’s common shares (the “Shares”) does not properly reflect the underlying strength, operational track record, and growth potential of the business. …Pursuant to the Bid, the Company may purchase up to 3,789,740 Shares, representing approximately 10% of the public float

I don’t know whether that is the case here or not, but companies have been known to announce buybacks with no intention of actually doing them. So I will believe it only when I see it.

I still own some AIOCF. Not much. While respecting Saul’s uncanny ability to know when to exit, I think I will keep a token holding.

Mostly because of the potential of software and high definition video to combine in intelligence driven analytics. Just in retail alone, cameras that catch a person looking 360 degrees around a couple of times means they are either looking for a spouse or getting ready to shoplift. Combined with software that could cut merchandise loss, easily paying for the system.

My biggest investment mistake has been premature selling of businesses who underwent some temporary blips while the investing thesis remained intact. That being said I can’t see much of a moat for Avignon and being headquartered in Canada removes them from close contact with big markets and maybe from the best software engineers. As well as exposing them to currency fluctuations.

2 Likes

After that, running a big new factory at 10%, 20% or 30% capacity will probably be a money-losing proposition at first, because of the big overhead of the building.

Good point Saul, so if they didn’t time this properly this could be a big drag on earnings. If they keep building out their work force we could see earnings down again next quarter. They did say in one of their conference call that they thought they would be building out the work force to around 1000 people. This might drag earnings down for 2015, in other words 2015 would be another year of build out.

Andy

I don’t know whether that is the case here or not, but companies have been known to announce buybacks with no intention of actually doing them. So I will believe it only when I see it.

True Mauser.

My biggest investment mistake has been premature selling of businesses who underwent some temporary blips while the investing thesis remained intact. That being said I can’t see much of a moat for Avignon and being headquartered in Canada removes them from close contact with big markets and maybe from the best software engineers. As well as exposing them to currency fluctuations.

I think Avigilon’s moat is that they have an end to end product that is digital. Do you know any other company that makes all the components? I think the rest of them bolt different companies products together. This is a small moat at least in my mind, also their patents help. I would agree with your thoughts on where they are headquartered but, as you know Mauser, the software engineers do not necessarily have to be in Canada. I really do not think to much of currency fluctuations, although they do affect the company, but companies in all the countries use that excuse. I think Aiocf is going to need higher revenues. It isn’t unusual for them to hit Revenue growth over 60% in the second and fourth quarter.

Thanks for your thoughts Mauser.

Andy

This might drag earnings down for 2015, in other words 2015 would be another year of build out.

Andy, As I read what the company announced, they’ve already said that 2015 would be a year of increased hires, increased expenses, and “build out”.

Saul

1 Like

Is that one of the reasons you got out Saul?

Andy

Is that one of the reasons you got out Saul?

Yes, I thought I’d keep an eye on it, but in the meanwhile I have better places to put my money than waiting around for them to reach $500 million (because Fernandes may then decide that he wants to build out to $1 billion while he’s at it).

Saul

1 Like