Bayer: Ukraine 75% planted in spite of war

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/bayer-says-ukraine-farm…

Bayer a major supplier of seeds and pesticides reports farmers in Ukraine are 75% planted in spite of the war.

8 Likes

Bayer a major supplier of seeds and pesticides…

And that’s why they spent $67 billion to buy Monsanto.

DB2

I bet Russia has Agent Orange to burn down the fields before harvest.

intercst

No, the Russians are thrilled that the wheat is planted. They very very much want to use their control of the Black Sea Coast and thus of an extremely valuable wheat harvest, both in money and in human life terms, as leverage in any negotiations.

I am still betting that after much agony Ukraine hands over Crimea permanently and the Donbas provinces with some kind of division and/or future plebescite.

david fb

1 Like

…with some kind of division and/or future plebescite.

And what would keep Russia from coming back in a few years and taking another slice? Didn’t Russia already guarantee Ukraine’s territorial integrity once, in the early 90s?

Steve

6 Likes

Didn’t Russia already guarantee Ukraine’s territorial integrity once, in the early 90s?

Yes, and that agreement collapsed with some blame to both sides as various sub-paragraphs were not fulfilled.

But what is most different and strategically important now is that most Ukrainians, even of the Russian speaking and culturally descended Donbas (the Ukrainian inhabitants having been starved to death or moved out by Stalin), WANT to be part of a rapidly improving (corrupticn increasingly controlled, economy booming, democracy real, have a nasty taste in their mouths from would be Czar Putinm, and EU membership looking probable) Ukraine. Russia would have a hell of a time trying to control even the provinces with Russian speaking majorities. Crimea is different, as it was never Ukrainian in any phase of history until a bureaucratic transfer in the late Soviet era.

david fb

1 Like

I am still betting that after much agony Ukraine hands over Crimea permanently and the Donbas provinces with some kind of division and/or future plebescite.

Give Crimea back to Ukraine and have Ukraine give a 100 year lease to Russia for a naval base in Sevastopol.

The Captain