Bear's take on Arista

Wow, Arista (ANET) results from yesterday evening sure have been HEAVILY discussed on the board. I think everyone has rightly concluded the market doesn’t like the mid 20’s (%) growth they forecast in 2018 (after Q1…that’s 40% guidance).

What most seem to be ignoring is that with the increase in ttm EPS and the drop in share price, the PE went from 63 at market close yesterday, to 45 as I type. Wow. (Although, shout out to Tinker and AJ for at least mentioning actual fundamentals like AJ did here http://discussion.fool.com/street-earning-estimates-have-to-go-u…) Arista reported 467.9M in revenue (up 43%) and 1.71 in EPS (up 64%). Nothing about this report was even a little bad.

Those speaking of the “lower forecast” for operating margin: what are you talking about? They forecast 32% for 2018 Q1. When have they ever said higher than that? Forecast for Q4 was 30%-32%. Q3 forecast was just “30%.” Q2: 28%. Q1 last year? 27%. A little context please!

This is a responsible CEO who said on the call “hope is not a strategy.” She’s not projecting what she hopes they’ll do – she’s projecting what she feels certain she can beat. Whether they deliver 30-35% growth or 50%+ growth, this is a company going in the right direction. In 2018, if revenue grows 33% but EPS grows 55% are you going to complain?

I’m not recommending trading one way or the other…I added to my position…I had also trimmed it before earnings! Allocations are your own business.

But this is one I definitely recommend owning.

Bear

PS - Tinker, I like your 2018 EPS estimate. Except, it could be a little low. :slight_smile:

58 Likes

Not a comment on whether Arista is a good company or whether they will have growth, but more about how do you fairly price a stock…at what point is a stock price too far ahead of revenues?

They did about $1.7b revenues by my public school math. Mkt cap now down to $18.5B. I know they aren’t completely apples to apples, but as a comparison, JNPR does more than 3x the revenues at about half the market cap.

If ANET revenues grew to JNPR levels, their sales folks would be thrilled. So what do you price ANET at once they reach that revenue level? Assuming they grow 40% y/y for next 3 years, they would be around that JNPR revenue mark. What is a fair market cap if/when they reach that level?

I just think it is a case of a stock price going too far, too fast. I don’t short stocks, and Arista seems in the right markets (selling to cloud titans & to enterprise clients directly) so this isn’t an indictment of the company…just scratching my head on this stock.

I remember watching Fool boards in the 1999-2000 timeframe and seeing the hype around RBAK, SYCM, CSCO, and JNPR. The former went out of business and the latter still haven’t retraced those obscene valuations. I remember asking Bruce Brown of the Gorilla Game board (hot board at the time) how they justified those market caps and I was more or less laughed off the board. Then the bubble burst. Different times and different market now of course.

I love lurking on this board for ideas, but the Arista angst/love seems over the top. Same with Pure Storage. Innovation is happening so rapidly in this space (IT - server, storage, networking, DC virtualization, cloud) that after any good run, I would get out. Love NVIDIA, as an example, but feel like you can be happy with that 2 year run though.

-Dreamer

12 Likes

Love NVIDIA, as an example, but feel like you can be happy with that 2 year run though.

Hi Dreamer,
But that way of dealing with it would have gotten you out of Amazon when it went from $5 to $14. It’s now at $1400 or so. It may make more sense to wait until the story has changed substantially.
Best,
Saul

18 Likes

Thanks for the thoughts, Bear! Helpful and reassuring!

Patrick

Saul…sorry but seems like a bad example and your numbers are off.

NVDA went from 31 to 240 past 2 years. About 8x.

Amazon at $5 would have been about a 3b mkt cap. Their ecommerce TAM is/was much greater than the TAM that Arista is going after. If Arista moves into lab-grown meats or in some other way dramatically expands its portfolio of products or services then their TAM would grow too.

In 2000, Fools stated Cisco had a $1T TAM over a 20 year period. When i pointed out that csco stock was at 1/2 trillion mkt cap already, no one seemed to grasp why i thought it was overpriced then either.

6 Likes

@DreamerDad

“Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once.”

Drat. I’d rec it more if I could.

I wonder how many people here are pricing their holdings future growth in DCF calculators like http://www.moneychimp.com/articles/valuation/dcf.htm. The growth per account in all companies levels off, there are finite sales targets for anything, and success breeds competition (margin pressure). Hyper growth is not smooth, but TAM and market penetration imply an S curve. With resources like Salesforce, too, this s-curve is compressing in time.

It might be interesting (to me, at least) to see how my call in VMWare on the Falling Knives board worked out 10 years ago in a similar situation: http://discussion.fool.com/bp-first-of-all-thank-you-for-discuss…

1 Like

Innovation is happening so rapidly in this space (IT - server, storage, networking, DC virtualization, cloud) that after any good run, I would get out.

I wanted to separate this out from the TAM argument. You’re essentially saying that businesses based on technologies undergoing massive evolution, even disruption, won’t do well over time. I presume that’s because you believe competition will do to them what they did to the previous leaders. Like how DEC disrupted IBM only to be disrupted itself by SunM, which itself was disrupted by personal computers, which itself was disrupted by phones and tablets. So, clearly I’m familiar with the pattern.

But, I take issue with your “after any good run, I would get out” advice. While even companies that disrupt get disrupted, the telltale sign of that happening is typically not a stock price retrenchment. For starters, it’s really hard, impossible for most, to predict whether a stock price retreat signifies the end of high growth for the underlying business or not. I have a friend who sold out of NVDA in 2016 when it tripled to like $70 and then declined a tad. Later, after it broke $100 or so it had a more than 10% decline. I didn’t get out - matter of fact I sold Puts and increased my profits. This because I had confidence that Nvidia’s run wasn’t over. Wouldn’t you have said Nvidia’s 4X run was time to get out?

So, how are we to know today whether ANET’s run will continue or not? If anything, there sure seems to be lots of market share that Arista doesn’t have today that it could get. With new technolgies there are early adopters, majority, and then later adopters. Strikes me that Arista might only just now be entering the majority phase, which tells me that its largest growth is yet to come. I certainly don’t see any signs that Arista is in a late adoption phase or that Arista is going to soon itself be disrupted by something better. If anything, the company is super well positioned to move into higher bandwidth markets as they mature.

In comparing where NVDA and ANET are, I’d also say that NVDA has better competition. Companies like Intel (buying Mobileeye) and Google (TPU) have lots of money and brains to throw at things. Nividia is currently in a sweet spot of its traditional market (gaming chips & boards) still thriving (thanks to crypto currency demand) while its current growth market (servers) is doing OK, and while the hype around its future markets (AI, autonomous driving, etc.) is peaking. But, the crypto craze could end suddenly, servers may not be a large market, and the future may end up being many years off. So, I’m watching NVDA carefully right now.

Arista’s competition is Cisco, and it’s ripe for continued disruption. So, at this point I’m not worried about Artisa’s run coming to an end. There is not newer technology that I can see right now that would disrupt Arista, and like I said, it’s not near being in the late adoption stage.

So, the “after any good run, I’d get out” thing: that makes no sense to me at all with Arista. As you said, you’re not evaluating about the company or even its growth prospects, it’s just a stock price valuation criteria. Actually, the recent stock price decline is because of people with viewpoints similar to yours, and similar to my friend who sold NVDA at $70 something after its “good run.” This is simply a case of people who don’t understand the company and the business being scared because the CEO is a well grounded leader who isn’t promising the moon. She has a history of underpromising and the company overdelivering.

Finally, it’s difficult to apply valuation metrics to growth companies. A company like McDonald’s is trading with a PE of about 25. Nvidia is twice that. But, it seems an easy argument to make that Nvidia will grow twice as quickly as MickeyDs. And, even with ANET now trading at a PE of 52, it seems obvious to me that Arista will grow faster than both Nvidia and MCD. Now if you want to talk overpriced, we can go back to my train wreck favorite, CMG, which is also has just about a PE of 50. New CEO or not, there are better places for my money.

And this is something I’ve learned over the years - that when a company is destined for success (like ANET), many many people recognize that. The question becomes whether its eventual success will be even greater than the market has already priced in. A stock can be priced high with expectations for 30% YoY growth, but if it’s actually going to achieve 40% YoY growth, then it’s underpriced.

I don’t “get out” after “good runs.” I get out when the business prospects for the company have changed. I don’t see that today for Arista at all, and am a buyer (and seller of Puts) today.

46 Likes

Now if you want to talk overpriced, we can go back to my train wreck favorite, CMG, which is also has just about a PE of 50. New CEO or not, there are better places for my money.

Rah rah!

Bear

1 Like

No question that Cisco was way overpriced back then. I read about some questionable accounting back then, too. But, admitting that Arista has some overpricing built in because of its history of growth and expected future growth, is it so overpriced that it will go down or stay stuck for a long time?

we have had a long bull market.
Nearly everything is "overpriced " by long historical standards. If you want to find lots of "underpriced " stocks you will probably have to wait for the next bear market.
Bulls and Bears are often made more by changes in the P being disproportionate to the changes in the E. Both in the P/E ratio.

So many good alternatives I don’t know why MF stuck to CMG so long The old “magic” is not going to come back…

Nice reply, and you have a lot packed in there, and I probably can’t do it justice right now. Etrade finally released their tax docs so I am getting taxes off my plate! Wanted to do a quick reply and state that my main argument is around TAM and Mkt Cap.

You stated ANET has a lot of market share left to grab. Can anyone put a number on that? My JNPR example was to show that even if ANET grew 40% over the next 3 years, it would just then be equaling the revenues (not even talking about profits here, just revenues) that JNPR currently has.

JNPR has stopped their rapid growth for a few years now, so despite having 3x the revenues of ANET, they are at 1/2 the market cap. CSCO is probably 25-30x the revenues but only 10x greater market cap than ANET. Point is, the market has ANET priced very high (imo) based on the revenues it is raking in and even if that growth continues for a couple more years it seems highly priced.

I love TSLA the company…the stock seems nuts. It could be a bargain in 10 years, based on a lot of “IFs” namely, for me, if they buy/merge with SpaceX. So do I buy now hoping they will become the energy and space and EV titan I believe they can be? What kind of market cap would be fair. If they are $55b now, can I expect 4x from here? AT&T is about 4x of TSLA right now, and a gut check tells me that Tesla+Solar City+SpaceX is worth more than AT&T. But can TSLA go 10x? How many publicly traded companies exist with a market cap over $300b? Over $400b? It is a small list.

Stocks have had a pretty good run, and the recent sell-off was overblown as all it really did was retrace 2018 gains for the most part and it has all but recovered already. So nothing seems cheap. I want to have cash on the sidelines and try and get value if a good company is victim to a poor headline so I can feel better about jumping in. Instead I am stuck looking at small caps like TTD…advertising is always huge TAM, Chinese internet behemoths that may have room to go after being swatted down in recent years by their govt like BIDU…they are in mobile, AI, possibly autonomous vehicles…lots of TAM, I took a flyer on CGNX at about $53 before their ER since it had dropped a bit…still not cheap but I can see and understand the TAM there. All these companies might fall on their face, but I feel their market caps, relative to their TAMs, at least give the opportunity for stock price growth IF the company executes.

ANET can continue to execute…I just don’t like the stock price. It could easily double, I am sure, but I would rather put my money on a stock that I feel has at least the chance of 3-4-5x its current price/mkt cap. If ANET gets to JNPR-level revenues in 3 years, will it be worth $80b market cap despite only $4.5b in revenues/year? Seems a stretch.

thanks for the reply,
Dreamer

8 Likes

also agree on the CMG thing, but maybe for a different reason. After the first big food safety issue that tanked the stock, it occurred to me that no matter how tasty the burritos or well-run the company might be, an 18-21 year old kid with poor hand-washing skills could take down the stock at any time in the future. That was way too much risk for me.

1 Like

“No question that Cisco was way overpriced back then. I read about some questionable accounting back then, too. But, admitting that Arista has some overpricing built in because of its history of growth and expected future growth, is it so overpriced that it will go down or stay stuck for a long time?”

It will probably go up over the next year or so, and probably by a lot. I just think the potential upside in the stock price will be more and more limited by the nature of the market they are going after. Eventually Cisco will buy someone that helps them leapfrog back over ANET and/or they leverage their Cisco One software or Cisco security/DNA solutions or Cisco UCS compute and discount the heck out of the products that compete against ANET.

1 Like

“In comparing where NVDA and ANET are, I’d also say that NVDA has better competition. Companies like Intel (buying Mobileeye) and Google (TPU) have lots of money and brains to throw at things. Nividia is currently in a sweet spot of its traditional market (gaming chips & boards) still thriving (thanks to crypto currency demand) while its current growth market (servers) is doing OK, and while the hype around its future markets (AI, autonomous driving, etc.) is peaking. But, the crypto craze could end suddenly, servers may not be a large market, and the future may end up being many years off. So, I’m watching NVDA carefully right now.”

I love NVIDIA. Love love love the company. Too pricey for me now though, and not sure it will ever come back down to a good entry point. If they tripled in price they would be bigger than Amazon and Facebook were just over a year ago…and possibly MSFT. Autonomous cars are key…again based on TAM. I think too many AI-focused datacenter companies are being spun up, combined with Google TPU and other competitive pressures that while they should continue to have growth for years in datacenter, it is still coming off a fairly small number. I got into NVIDIA late, in early 2016, but still had a great run with the stock. Crypto was never part of the equation for TAM, for me anyway…it was gaming/AI/Auto/DC, and the Switch sales and cool side products like Shield were just gravy.

The key here is the number of uses, in markets (TAM), for their products was/is huge. ANET is not a very diversified portfolio, which limits TAM.

Ok…enough spamming of the board by me!

-Dreamer

6 Likes

“I don’t know why MF stuck to CMG so long”

Almost none of the MF services make useful “sell” recommendations. They’re still officially recommending Valeant after the share price went from $200+ down to the low double digits where it still is today, even though the staff posts article after article explaining their many serious problems and low chance for a serious recovery.

Saul’s explaining why he buys and sells is priceless.

2 Likes

As for competition to Arista, maybe Ubiquity and Arista will merge or become partners. Maybe a crazy fantasy, but not impossible.

Even crazier would be the combined share price going to $1000, and then a buyout from another networking company (or IBM or whoever) at $1250. :slight_smile: A boy can dream, can’t he?

With high flying high tech companies it is challenging at best to assess fair value over a 12 month period, let alone 3 or 5 or 10 years out. Disrupters come and go, as Cisco has observed from being disrupted by a host of challengers including Arista, Juniper and others. Even after falling 19% Arista’s share price is up 149% in twelve months, and even after the fall it is still ahead of where it started the year just a month and a half ago.

It’s not talked about here much, but when you have so much profit at stake, it may be wise to put some of that profit towards hedging. For example, sell to open the June $300 call and buy to open the $220 put, which actually pays a credit of about $0.05. That gives you a safety net at $220 in case it keeps falling, and puts a cap on upside of > $50 from current position. You get 4 months of protection and it doesn’t even cost you anything.

-----
Invest wisely my friends

3 Likes

when you have so much profit at stake, it may be wise to put some of that profit towards hedging. For example, sell to open the June $300 call and buy to open the $220 put, which actually pays a credit of about $0.05. That gives you a safety net at $220 in case it keeps falling, and puts a cap on upside of > $50 from current position. You get 4 months of protection and it doesn’t even cost you anything.

Fooldom is filled with stories of people who wrote covered calls on stocks they wished they still owned today.

9 Likes

“Fooldom is filled with stories of people who wrote covered calls on stocks they wished they still owned today.”

You can trade around a core position. It is not an all or nothing strategy. Pick up some “core” holding type stocks on dips and sell or play options at the heights. Once can earn some nice incremental gains this way.

Looking at a chart of a company like BABA. It is rife with opportunities for such a strategy.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=BABA&p=D&b=5&g=…

Rob

You stated ANET has a lot of market share left to grab. Can anyone put a number on that?

Let’s see what Arista thinks. Turns out Arista puts its quarterly slides on slideshare. Here’s the latest for Q4 2018: https://www.slideshare.net/aristanetworks2017/2017-highlight…

Thanks to TMF’s antiquated discussion board software I can’t post images. Slide 5 compares Market Share for High Speed Data Center Switching, both in terms of Dollars and in terms of Ports. Here’s a link to that slide: https://www.slideshare.net/aristanetworks2017/2017-highlight… Now the words to replace the pix: In dollars, Cisco’s share has decreased from 78% in 2012 to 53% in 2017 while Arista’s share has increased from 3.5% to 14.2%.

So even today, Arista’s market share in dollars could pentuple if it were to equal Cisco’s dominance in 2012. Now, that might be a pretty optimistic view, if only because price per port is steadily decreasing (see slide 14, for instance). So, let’s look at number of ports. Well, the percentages for ports are actually very similar: Cisco dropped from 71% to 50% while Arista increased from 4% to 15%. Well, golly, looks like the same could happen in ports. Potentially.

Today, 27% of Arista’s sales are outside the Americas while Cisco does about 40% (page 6 of https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/about/annual-report/2017-a… ), so there is certainly additional room for Arista to grow internationally even more quickly.

Slide 6 shows Market Revenue for Data Center Ethernet Switches growing from about $13B this year to $18B in 2022. That growth mostly comes from the 100-200Gbps speed range (didn’t exist in 2014), in which Artisa is perfectly positioned to take a growing piece of a growing pie.

I don’t want to get too into the product technicals here, but Arista’s deck does a good job of showing the coming change in network architecture and how Arista benefits from having products with a single OS across all network layers, thus enabling a reduction in the number of hardware layers possible because of its per-port pricing advantage (100Gig ports at $3K each versus other vendors at $100K+!(slide 14). With ports being so cheap on big units, you don’t need to have separate routing, switching, and distribution layers that have been traditional (slide 7).

Eliminating hardware and networking layers is a big deal, but this post is about potential market, so just peruse the Arista deck, from Expanding Use Cases on slide 15 to Restitching the Internet on 16, to showing market segment by Pace of Adoption on slide 20. Arista has the opportunity to blow apart both cloud and enterprise networking architecture.

In my view, the growth for Arista is just getting going. Today Cisco’s market cap is more than 10X Arista’s. And, I don’t feel Juniper is the right comparison for Arista right now. Juniper had its day at the turn of the century, but it’s whole mission was simply “faster than Cisco.” That has turned out to not be a sustainable model whereas I think Arista has many advantages and is disruptive in capabilities, security, and pricing.

35 Likes