Berkshire’s rally explained?

I always wonder what causes rallies like the recent Berkshire spike. Could this be a partial explanation?

From Ted Lamade, Managing Director at The Carnegie Institution for Science

Desperate for Capital and Returns

What do value investors and energy companies have in common these days? They’re unloved at best and hated at worst. As a result, their destinies might be linked. Why? They’re both desperate — energy companies for capital, value investors for returns. This desperation comes from the fact that large pools of capital have exited both en masse, in large part for justifiable reasons – namely poor performance and/or environmental reasons. Yet, the irony is that this may result in a massive opportunity for both. Why? Scarcity of capital has historically been a major catalyst for strong future returns.

The pattern goes something like this. A dearth of capital forces management teams to become more disciplined about capital allocation. As a result, they prioritize shareholder-friendly actions (dividends, buybacks, etc.) over capital expenditures. This subsequently leads to lower supply levels, a subsequent mismatch with demand, and an eventual rise in prices. When prices do rise, these businesses often become more profitable, so long as competition remains limited. We have already seen the early stages of this dynamic occurring in the energy complex, so given how badly value investors need to generate strong and differentiated returns, it wouldn’t surprise me if allocations to this sector begin to increase in a material way. As I have said before, this is looking increasingly like a Tobacco 2.0 scenario.

2 Likes

I think it’s a growth stock sell off and flight to safety before the market decline. People don’t want to stay in cash either because iof the inflation argument. I’m in China instead.

3 Likes

“I think it’s a growth stock sell off and flight to safety before the market decline. People don’t want to stay in cash either because of the inflation argument.”

Yeah this is probably a better explanation of what’s happening. I just thought the capital scarcity thing was interesting.

They’re both desperate — energy companies for capital,

I disagree. If anything energy companies have sufficient capital but they are very disciplined and not investing heavily. Rather they prioritize dividends, buybacks and very deliberate on their growth capex. This is not just one company, but a constant theme in US energy space.

1 Like