Bipartsan anger at Medicare Advantage insurers

{{ But Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) said some hospitals in his state won’t take Medicare Advantage plans any more. “We can’t do it because we can’t afford the constant chasing from all the denials,” he said. }}

Good to see this kind of scrutiny during open enrollment season. I hope seniors are paying attention.

intercst

14 Likes

Those shytes never should have made the advantage plans legal.

C and D, passed by the same regime (2003 and 2006 respectively), were obviously designed to, first, benefit the insurance companies. I can’t remember which of the two programs I was reading about, that handed millions out to the insurance companies over two years, “to prepare for the program”, before anyone was ever signed up.

Steve

4 Likes

As if.

The Siren Song of “more for less” will drown out any messages that state the opposite…even something as consequential as hospitals and physicians beginning to drop MA plans.

At any one time most folk aren’t seriously ill enough that they start to imagine a scenario when they’re in need of treatment that will inevitably be delayed by insurance company denials or more covert foot dragging. “So far, so good” is good enough, I guess.

That bit is run past viewers of the TV commercials. Reminders to “check your plan for changes” every year, including seeing if your Doc is still “in network”.

What I don’t see is reminders “there are no networks in traditional Medicare”. Only the come-ons for dental and vision. I even saw one plan that claimed to dole out cash that the member can use for groceries, or anything.

Steve

1 Like

Yeah, but it’s only the day-old bakery shelf at an in-network grocery store.

intercst

1 Like

Me, too. Aren’t some now calling these so-called insurance coverage “Medicare Taking Advantage of Seniors Plans”?

Pete

1 Like

Possible if the person is on Medicaid as well. State benefit run through the insurance company to save money.