Problems with Medicare Advantage

Intercst often points out that insurance companies skim 15% off Medicare Advantage, compared with the 2% cost of the government running traditional Medicare.

Here’s new information.

More expensive, less quality.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/28/health/medicare-advantage…

**Medicare Advantage Plans Often Deny Needed Care, Federal Report Finds**

**Investigators urged increased oversight of the program, saying that insurers deny tens of thousands of authorization requests annually.**
**By Reed Abelson, The New York Times, April 28, 2022**

**Every year, tens of thousands of people enrolled in private Medicare Advantage plans are denied necessary care that should be covered under the program, federal investigators concluded in a report published on Thursday.**

**The investigators urged Medicare officials to strengthen oversight of these private insurance plans, which provide benefits to 28 million older Americans, and called for increased enforcement against plans with a pattern of inappropriate denials.**

**Advantage plans have become an increasingly popular option among older Americans, offering privatized versions of Medicare that are frequently less expensive and provide a wider array of benefits than the traditional government-run program offers....**

**Tens of millions of denials are issued each year for both authorization and reimbursements, and audits of the private insurers show evidence of “widespread and persistent problems related to inappropriate denials of services and payment,” the investigators found....People signing up for Medicare Advantage are surrendering their right to have a doctor determine what is medically necessary, he said, rather than have the insurer decide....** [end quote]

The government report is a pdf file titled, “Some Medicare Advantage Organization Denials of Prior
Authorization Requests Raise Concerns About Beneficiary Access to Medically Necessary Care” which can be Googled.

Medicare is one of the biggest Macroeconomic concerns since the cost is a major part of U.S. government spending and a major part of financial planning for millions of people.

Medicare Advantage is aggressively pushed by insurance companies through mailings (snail mail for elders who presumable are less tech savvy) and even tables in Wal-Mart. Medicare Advantage covers expenses like hearing aids which can be expensive but aren’t covered by traditional Medicare. Also, traditional Medicare only covers 80% so “Medigap” private insurance must be purchased, which increases the cost. This makes Medicare Advantage tempting for lower-income beneficiaries, especially if they are relatively healthy.

The problem with Medicare Advantage arises when a person has serious health problems and/or is traveling out of state. Traditional Medicare is rock-solid – the doctor knows he will get paid and will decide what care is needed. Medicare Advantage is mediated by insurance companies that profit when care is denied.

I went to a presentation by a local insurance agency before deciding. He was very clear about his experience – traditional Medicare was better for serious health problems.

People who choose traditional Medicare must choose from several types of “Medigap” policies. I chose Part G after consulting with the local SHIBA volunteer. Part G pays for all expenses that qualify for Medicare coverage but aren’t paid by Medicare (such as the 20% and any excess charges). Our Part G Medigap policy is $202 each on top of the $170 Medicare Part B and our choice of Part D which is $11 per month (but could be much more expensive if we chose one that covered meds we don’t take). Plus we have to pay for our own glasses, hearing aids, dentures, orthotics, etc. which are expensive – sometimes thousands of dollars.

Health insurance in the U.S. is a nightmare. The Medicare system is much better than before Medicare, but there are still plenty of gotchas.

Wendy

27 Likes

The law that allows for advantage plans delays moving private insurance out of the healthcare industry. It is screwing around with the American public on so many levels. It is also part of forcing a situation where people without insurance die for lack of care. In 2019 that was 30k people who died.

Health insurance in the U.S. is a nightmare.

Having worked for a British company for 5 years now (which I have now resigned from) I can tell you I have not met anyone from the UK who wishes they had our system. There are problems with the UK system of course. But I swear ours are so much worse, and they agree. And I can’t understand people who are defending our system tooth and nail (like my parents).

10 Likes

I can tell you I have not met anyone who wishes they had our system…

That would include me…an ex-pat who’s lived in the US for 35+ years (over half my life)

Interesting thing is, the NHS now is a much weaker system of comprehensive care than in the past…and it’s a continuing trend. Services are steady being sold off to private enterprise…with many US companies standing by to dip their bread in the taxpayer funded gravy boat. In practical terms makes for a very disjointed approach to, say mental health and a good many of the community care services that one tends not to think about until they’re needed.

Playing catch up to the US very efficiently, it seems to me.

Intercst often points out that insurance companies skim 15% off Medicare Advantage, compared with the 2% cost of the government running traditional Medicare.

Here’s the worst of it.

MANCHIN LEADS 63 BIPARTISAN SENATORS IN URGING SUPPORT FOR MEDICARE ADVANTAGE PROGRAM
https://www.manchin.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/manch…

and

346 House members reiterate bipartisan support for Medicare Advantage
https://www.beckerspayer.com/policy-updates/346-house-member…

I realize this is going to offend some “tender sensibilities” as being “political”, but the bipartisan consensus in Congress supporting an ungodly level of price gouging in health care in return for campaign contributions is eventually going to kill us all.

That makes it profoundly macroeconomic.

intercst

35 Likes

Have you been watching the Oil series on PBS Frontline?

We know what happened to Hillary Care. The oil programs tell in detail how companies pour millions into defending their profits. They know how to throw sand into the wheels of democracy. And obvious improvements die in Congress usually due to gridlock.

pauleckler writes,

Have you been watching the Oil series on PBS Frontline?

We know what happened to Hillary Care. The oil programs tell in detail how companies pour millions into defending their profits. They know how to throw sand into the wheels of democracy. And obvious improvements die in Congress usually due to gridlock.

Yes!

Over 90% of House and Senate members are taking drug and insurance money. You won’t see any improvement in health care until most of them are voted out of office.

What’s disappointing is how little it costs to buy a US Senator. When Korean or Japanese businessman come to Washington to protect their interests, they are astonished. It costs millions to buy a politician in Asia.

intercst

4 Likes

We know what happened to Hillary Care.

Yep. The Washington state legislature enacted it. It was a disaster, in pretty much every way the critics predicted. Several counties in the state lost all private-purchase medical insurance providers - if you lived there and didn’t get insurance through either your employer, Medicare, or Medicaid, you didn’t get it at all. Less than two years after it took effect, pretty much every incumbent in the state legislature that didn’t pledge to vote to repeal it was ousted.

The replacement plan worked quite well until a new federal law made it non-compliant.

1 Like

<I realize this is going to offend some “tender sensibilities” as being “political”, but the bipartisan consensus in Congress>

I will let this stay because it is bipartisan and not partisan politics. Sadly, the problem of politicians bought by special interests is bipartisan.

Wendy

3 Likes

Your post recognizes the ties between politics and the economy but is not partisan in any way.

Wendy writes,

People who choose traditional Medicare must choose from several types of “Medigap” policies. I chose Part G after consulting with the local SHIBA volunteer. Part G pays for all expenses that qualify for Medicare coverage but aren’t paid by Medicare (such as the 20% and any excess charges). Our Part G Medigap policy is $202 each on top of the $170 Medicare Part B and our choice of Part D which is $11 per month (but could be much more expensive if we chose one that covered meds we don’t take). Plus we have to pay for our own glasses, hearing aids, dentures, orthotics, etc. which are expensive – sometimes thousands of dollars.

There’s even more “skim” in Medigap policies, but at least the skim is being drawn from a smaller pot.

The “medical loss ratios” in Medigap plans tend to be in the high 70’s, leaving a bit more than a 20% skim rate to the insurer – and it’s virtually all true “skim”.

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) does all the claims administration and accounting for Medigap insurers and just tells the insurer what to pay. Medicare could offer you the same Medigap supplement plan for 20% less than you’re paying the Medigap insurer and it would be more efficient. The insurer is literally doing nothing but pocketing the skim while Medicare does all the work. At least a Medicare Advantage insurer has to build out a claims administration bureaucracy and telephone hotline to screw seniors out of the medical benefits they’ve paid for.

I pay $44/month for a high deductible Plan G and pay about the first $2500/yr in Medicare co-pays out of pocket. So I’m losing about $105/year to skim (i.e. $44/month x 12 = $528/yr x 20% = $105.60)

If you get regular Plan G at $202/month, you’re losing $485/year to ill gotten insurance company skim.

I feel slightly less hosed with the $105 number.

intercst

1 Like

warrl writes,

We know what happened to Hillary Care.

Yep. The Washington state legislature enacted it. It was a disaster, in pretty much every way the critics predicted. Several counties in the state lost all private-purchase medical insurance providers - if you lived there and didn’t get insurance through either your employer, Medicare, or Medicaid, you didn’t get it at all. Less than two years after it took effect, pretty much every incumbent in the state legislature that didn’t pledge to vote to repeal it was ousted.

The replacement plan worked quite well until a new federal law made it non-compliant.

I fled Texas for Washington State in 2006. My health insurance premiums dropped by 60%. The “replacement plan” was crap insurance coverage, but it was head and shoulders over what you got in Texas for the same money.

There’s a big difference in insurance regulation between Texas and WA State.

In WA State the insurance commissioner is an elected official with a 4-year term, so he’s at least marginally accountable to the voters.

In Texas, the insurance commissioner is appointed by the Governor, and over the past 20+ years has tended to be a former insurance industry lobbyist.

Follow the money.

intercst

3 Likes

Thanks Wendy for that post.

ExxonMobil switched to an Aetna Medicare Advantage plan during the pandemic crisis - which drove demand down and crushed oil prices. Obviously a step to try to save money and avoid cutting the dividend.

I’m a retiree. You had the choice of accepting it or leaving. But once you did, you couldn’t come back. So I stayed. And dropped my long term Medicare supplement plan with Mutual of Omaha.

Big mistake. I’ve battled with Aetna ever since to gain approval for obvious medical issues. If even the smallest detail in an approved procedure is wrong, you have to go back to the doctors and Aetna to correct it. Management by the insurance company, not the doctor, just as you say.

My wife was scheduled for a CT scan to try to find reasons for low oxygen content. Although it was clearly stated that she was allergic to the iodine used as a contrast agent to the doctors and in the request, Aetna approved it with contrast agent. So, when we went in for the exam, noticed the error, and stopped the procedure, we spent a few hours before getting the error corrected.

My former boss, a VP with Exxon Chemical, reports even worse issues. They approved the wrong pacemaker for him. Took an extended period to correct. He found that you never talk to the same Aetna person when you call in for support. So lots of plowing the same old ground even though they supposedly leave notes in the file from the last person.

I have a good set of doctors - they are unanimous about the problems in dealing with Aetna.

For over 20 prior years with Mutual I never had an issue. And we don’t abuse the system. Now we can’t return because at our age, we are not re-insurable.

Bad mistake on my part.

Here ends my rant. You obviously touched a nerve with your info on advantage plans. I assure you that I’m not alone in my issues.

I hope to raise the question with XOM during the next annual meeting.

6 Likes

He found that you never talk to the same Aetna person when you call in for support. So lots of plowing the same old ground even though they supposedly leave notes in the file from the last person.

Our company insurance has always been Aetna, which we found to be decent until they were bought by CVS. Everything went downhill from there. Thankfully DH is a Pitbull when it comes to getting things done accurately, but it’s like having a job all over again just dealing with insurance.

I don’t know how sick people do it. No, let me rephrase…they can’t keep up with the insurance deniars.

IP

inparadise
He found that you never talk to the same Aetna person when you call in for support. So lots of plowing the same old ground even though they supposedly leave notes in the file from the last person.

It is the rare pleasure when I find a person that has access to “all that has gone on before” with what I am calling them about.

It is puzzling, given the giant leaps that have been made with computers and data bases and on line interfacing that people on the phones when we call don’t have access to your previous calls, problems. It does happen, but it can be much better. (Anthem/Blue Cross for me, FWIW.)

Big mistake. I’ve battled with Aetna ever since to gain approval for obvious medical issues. If even the smallest detail in an approved procedure is wrong, you have to go back to the doctors and Aetna to correct it. Management by the insurance company, not the doctor, just as you say.

Insurance companies don’t make money by paying claims, they make money by denying claims.

4 Likes