Bossware Coming for Every Worker

… “job creators” want to know how often the WFH people are using the bathroom.

Jeff Bezos was a pioneer in forcing his workers to pee in bottles on the fly.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/apr/27/remote-wo…

intercst

1 Like

… “job creators” want to know how often the WFH people are using the bathroom.

I wonder just how many employers are using such invasive monitoring? Didn’t see anything the article that answered the question.

My prediction: Folks who are creative with their skills in high demand, if/when faced with such egregious invasions of privacy, will bolt.

Companies using the apps can expect to retain folks who are less capable and creative. That’ll be good for their bottom lines.

3 Likes

I wonder just how many employers are using such invasive monitoring?

It’s probably not the kind of thing an employer advertises.

intercst

Companies using the apps can expect to retain folks who are less capable and creative. That’ll be good for their bottom lines.

The “JCs” can get away with paying the less capable and creative less. To some “JCs”, that is all that matters.

Have you noticed where the Detroit Tigers are in the standings this year? Does management care? Probably not. When they hired their current manager, the fans were excited, as Hinch had a good record with the Astros. I said “he was out of work and tainted by scandal. bet he came cheap”. Before Hinch, it was Ron Gardenhire. The media was excited about his .500 record with the Twins, and hailed his sense of humor. I said “he was out of work and a cancer survivor. bet he came cheap”. Before Gardenhire, there was Brad Ausmus. He had zero managerial experience. I said “bet he came cheap”. The Tigers haven’t even managed a .500 season since 2016. Former team owner Mike Ilitch, who was in it to win it, died in Feb 2017, before the baseball season started. Now the heirs appear to have turned the team over to “professional management”. In 2017, the year Mike died, Tigers payroll was $180,250,600. In 2021, their payroll was $85,648,945.

Before this season started. the media was excited about the Tigers “they did some great trades over the winter, really improved the team” they cheered. Now that this year is looking just like the last several, what does the media chatter about? “The Lions drafted some great players, they will be a lot better this year”.

Steve

2 Likes

"Have you noticed where the Detroit Tigers are in the standings this year? "

It’s early, lol, 162 games is a marathon. At least that is what Tiger’s fans are pinning
their hopes on. I’d be happy if they’re in the playoff hunt, and it’s been expanded, so
that’s not a real tough goal to reach for.

I have not watched a single inning, let alone a game, don’t have cable TV, and Bally Sports Network has a stranglehold on the opportunities to watch a Tiger game on tv. I expected them to be much improved, mainly because that’s a very low bar to jump over, lol.

I will go see them in person at some point this summer, always enjoy a trip to the big city in
the warm weather.

I expected them to be much improved, mainly because that’s a very low bar to jump over, lol.

That’s what the media was trying to sell, before the season started: “made great trades over the winter, great team, real contenders”. Reality was they traded established big league players for minor league “prospects”, because they come cheap. Justin Verlander worked in Detroit for years. Never pitched in a World Series game until he was traded to the Astros, for “prospects”. Same with Matt Stafford. Worked for the schlock Lions for years. Moved to the Rams and into the Superbowl.

The Tigers, post Mike Illich, remind me of the Tigers in the 70s, when they were owned by John Fetzer. Fetzer was a notorious cheapskate. When free agency became a thing, he refused to ever pay up for talent. The Tigers zuked. They had one of the most remarkable pitchers in my memory, Mark Fidrych, who the Tigers had drafted out of amateur ball in 74. Fidrych not only had to pitch shutout ball for 9 innings, but sometimes 10 or 11 innings, waiting for that bunch of corpses to get a run. Mark’s arm was ruined in one year, because Fetzer was too cheap to have a decent team backing Fidrych up.

Steve

“Justin Verlander worked in Detroit for years. Never pitched in a World Series game until he was traded to the Astros,”

Verlander pitched in the 2006 and 2012 World Series while with the Tigers.
Tigers dropped both of those series. I thought they were the better team in 2006,
and in 2012 they fell on their face against the Giants, they got smoked bad.

The Tigers bungled the Verlander trade badly. They got 3 “prospects” from the Astro’s,
none of whom have done much of anything for the Tigers. Verlander excelled with the Astro’s,
at least his 1st year. Houston’s pitching coaches supposedly spotted a flaw in his release while studying his motion, and he was lights out for them till his injury.

I agree with you on Tiger’s management, not real impressed with them. They had a great
stretch because Mr I was willing to spend like the Yankees and Dodgers. The new regime
definitely not interested in doing that.

Verlander pitched in the 2006 and 2012 World Series while with the Tigers.

Yes, you are right. I remembered them being in the playoffs a lot, when Mike was willing to pay up for real talent. Forgot that they did make the Series, in losing efforts.

The Tigers bungled the Verlander trade badly. They got 3 “prospects” from the Astro’s,

They got rid of an expensive player, their objective. I don’t understand why they haven’t gotten rid of Cabrera. Of course, the last couple years his batting average, on base percentage, and slugging percentage, all are running at career lows, so maybe is is more “high priced”, than “talent” these days, making him hard to fob off on another team. He’s 39 this year. Maybe he’ll retire, so the Tigers can be threatened by minor lead clubs.

The bottom line is payroll: falling from $180M when Mike died, to $85M in 21, 24th place of 30 teams. “Professional management” at work. Remember how Gardenhire quit before the season ended? He was pretty much saying he didn’t see any sense in continuing to beat his head against a wall.

For 22, Tigers payroll has risen to $136M, putting them in 16th place. Judging by their record, their “really great trades over the winter” were more “high priced”, not so much “talent”.

Steve

1 Like