cannabinoids

I think we talked about this briefly, but what is the prevailing thought about this? I know Mayo advises great caution (except for epilepsy).

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health…

Obviously, quality control is a problem.

1poorlady has some joint issues and neuropathy leftover from the chemo. She also takes three meds that she has to take. I asked the pharmacist about interactions with CBD, and he said that hadn’t been studied (yet) so he had no idea.

If it would help her I would be all for it. But all I get is advertising when I try to look up stuff (the latest from, of all people, Sandra Bullock…I like her, but I’m not taking medical advice from her!). About the only thing they don’t claim it will treat is COVID.

I did see a great NOVA a few months ago that indicated there was a lot of promise in those compounds, but not yet a lot of data. Evidently we have cannabinoid receptors all throughout our bodies. And apparently there are over 40(?) different cannabinoid molecules (IIRC).

1poorguy (I know…not directly related to “caring for a parent”, but maybe it could be…)

My Mom swears by them for pain.
My DW tried them and swore off them.
I just swear.

I love my CBD and can absolutely notice a difference when I forget to take it. It has helped me considerably with depression, which can send me down a rabbit hole that can be tough to emerge from. That was what got me to try the bottle my son had bought for me, with the results being stunning, snapping me right out of a bad spiral and pumping me with energy and drive. The CBD has also helped with my knee aches, which fall short of pain. I don’t take it around bedtime out of concern that it would make it harder for me to get to sleep, not easier, as many say.

That said, I take no meds that I have to worry about the contra-indications of CBD with.

IP

2 Likes

CBD: tried and ran my cholesterol up did not see that much good in my case.

switched to: Cetyl Myristoleate for Humans 80 Veggie Capsules by Coreceutimin (Formally Coreceuticals Response), Highest Concentration Made (40%) for Max Joint Relief, Glucosami

joint response great. only take one a day. cholesterol back to normal.

I’ve discovered—through a friend who had explored pretty much everything out there—a very helpful product that doesn’t mess my head up. I turn out to be super sensitive to THC, and I react to the trace amount that’s typical in CBD oil. My husband used to take Plus CBD, which had helped him in various ways (but eventually seemed to stop benefitting him), and I had tried a single softgel once after suddenly experiencing terrible pain in an old injury. I could barely walk. The pain disappeared completely in about 7-8 inutes (and didn’t return), but my head was a cloudy fuzzy mess for an hour or two. What I’ve recently begun using is the product by Ojai Energetics. You arrive at the correct dose for you by how it tastes. You look for the sweet spot. And they claim that their approach to manufacturing their product makes a smaller dose more effective, and reduces the THC content substantially. You’re supposed to begin with 1/4-dropper under your tongue, then continue adding by 1/4-dropper until it tastes sweet. For me, 1/4-dropper made my head a tad fuzzy, and I find 8 drops to be right. It’s a huge help in dealing with the pain in my cartilege-free ankle, my sleep is more satisfying, and I feel more focused.

The rationale behind CBD oil makes sense. We have a huge network of cannabinoid receptors throughout our body. They help to maintain balance in a variety of ways. I first learned about this at a medical meeting, and they physician who discussed it talked about the data for anxiety, depression, migraines, brain trauma, pain, epilepsy, and gave many examples from his practice.

=sheila

1 Like

Ojai Energetics

I just looked it up online.

So you take their Hemp Elixir? Do you mix it with coconut oil like they have in the beginner kit?

So you take their Hemp Elixir? Do you mix it with coconut oil like they have in the beginner kit?

Yes, that’s what I take. And no, I don’t mix it with coconut oil.

I also use the topical balm, or whatever they call it.

And use PAMELA20 for a 20% discount. (I just double-checked the discount code to use.)

=sheila

And a fascinating NEW reason for considering CBD—aa study has appeared documenting the ability of compounds in CBD to interfere with the ability of SARS-CoV-2 to enter human respiratory cells, to interfere with the virus’s ability to replicate, and it enhances the ability of the innate immune response to attack the virus successfully. Benefits are both protective, and therapeutic in early infection.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7987002/

=sheila

2 Likes

…a study has appeared documenting the ability of compounds in CBD to interfere with the ability of SARS-CoV-2 to enter human respiratory cells, to interfere with the virus’s ability to replicate, and it enhances the ability of the innate immune response to attack the virus successfully.

Thanks for providing that Sheila. It may be a reason for us to give to our senior dog who we fear will not survive a second bout of Covid.

That said, I did not find it helped me when I got Covid. DH brought it home to us in February 2020, returning from 2 weeks in San Francisco. He was not taking CBD and I was, but we both got it reasonably to about the same degree. Happily it was rather mild, other than a harsh dry cough and feeling as though there was a grown man sitting on our chest for about 3 weeks after the cough stopped. We did both start popping zinc fastmelts as often as recommended on the box, which may be what helped us both. Poor dog was supplement free and his lungs were compromised.

We have CBD for dogs on hand for when we travel, which is almost never. Perhaps I should start giving that to Dog regularly.

IP,
who did not yet look at the study closely

FYI:

https://www.healthline.com/health/ojai-energetics-cbd

Not judging, just doing “due diligence”.

Asked a hand doctor this morning if he was aware of any new research regarding pain (tendonitis, arthritis, etc). He wasn’t, though said some of his patients swear by CBD products. He wasn’t specific which products.

FYI:

https://www.healthline.com/health/ojai-energetics-cbd

The page isn’t functioning at the moment, so I can’t comment. It’s taking a “sick day” while an attempt is made to fix it.

Asked a hand doctor this morning if he was aware of any new research regarding pain (tendonitis, arthritis, etc). He wasn’t, though said some of his patients swear by CBD products.

Published in 1920—a randomized trial using topical application for peripheral neuropathic pain: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31793418/

"Results: The study population included 62.1% males and 37.9% females with a mean age of 68 years. There was a statistically significant reduction in intense pain, sharp pain, cold and itchy sensations in the CBD group when compared to the placebo group. No adverse events were reported in this study.

Conclusion: Our findings demonstrate that the transdermal application of CBD oil can achieve significant improvement in pain and other disturbing sensations in patients with peripheral neuropathy. The treatment product was well tolerated and may provide a more effective alternative compared to other current therapies in the treatment of peripheral neuropathy."

=sheila

Hmmm…worked for me. Other than having to accept the privacy policy / cookies. Rated Ojai Energetics. Basically said there was a lack of information about some things, and other things we could assume to be OK.

Very old study you found, but still good info. Thanks for the link.

That’s topical, not oral. I’ll run it by 1poorlady. Her lymphedema massage person uses CBD oil on parts that hurt (joints, mostly). Still a concern about quality/consistency in manufacture. We also have the concern about drug interactions, which haven’t been studied in 100 years since CBD/THC has been banned by the feds for most of that time.

1poorguy

Very old study you found, but still good info.

It was published in 2020. Maybe in dog years it qualifies as “very old,” but in my perspective it rates as current. :wink:

That healthline page works now. There was some kind of technical problem when I had tried it previously. So they basically say that there’s nothing about Ojai’s products or procedures that raises any concern. The one issue they note is that they want more information and data.

But I learned something very helpful. They do their extraction process with carbon dioxide, which is called supercritical extraction. That has several benefits. The chemical most typically used to extract compounds from another substance leave traces in the final product. Some people’s tummies are very sensitive to them. I, for example, cannot take most fish oils because of that. Theh fish oil products by Minami, distributed by Garden of Life, do their extraction supercritically, and I have zero problem. The other benefits of supercritical extraction are a much stronger dose in a much smaller amount. So when it comes to fish oil, for example you get a much higher dose in a much smaller softgel, and you can say goodbye to those huge horse-sized softgels. So I’m delighted to learn that Ojai’s CBD oil is supercritically extracted.

=sheila

Oh…I missed that. For some reason I saw “1920”. Which made sense because I don’t think the feds were controlling it then. Doing studies today is apparently much more difficult because it is on the fed list of controlled substances.

Interesting about the supercriticality. I wouldn’t have know anything about that, or to look for it over other processes. Even fish oil, eh? Makes sense if you can use something (CO2) that basically goes away (it’s a gas), rather than chemicals that will leave trace amounts in the finished product.

1poorguy

It was published in 2020. Maybe in dog years it qualifies as “very old,” but in my perspective it rates as current. :wink:

Published in 1920—a randomized trial using topical application for peripheral neuropathic pain: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31793418/

I too was wondering why such an old study…

IP

1poorlady got some Lazarus Naturals “full spectrum” balm from her massage person.

Checked it out, and they don’t use CO2.

https://www.healthline.com/health/lazarus-naturals#quality-a…

Evidently one needs to look for a batch number. There is counterfeit product out there, or so the company claims.