Cash

Good morning Saul,

First let me say thank you for sharing with the community your investing methods and how you actually put them to use.

The one thing I haven’t picked up on is the cash portion of your portfolio. When you list your investments and their percentages, it doesn’t leave much room for cash. Do you not consider cash to be part of the portfolio?

Thanks, Jim

Saul is typically 100% invested in stocks.

From the knowledge base.

I’m usually nearly 100% in stocks, and only rarely and briefly as much as 10% in cash. I have a couple of small accounts in which I can buy on margin, but my amount of margin in rarely as much as 4% or 5% of my total investment.

Sorry forgot to answer the last question. Yes, he considers cash to be apart of the portfolio.

The one thing I haven’t picked up on is the cash portion of your portfolio. When you list your investments and their percentages, it doesn’t leave much room for cash. Do you not consider cash to be part of the portfolio?

At the current moment I have about minus two percent in cash. that means I have a little cash in some accounts, and slightly more in margin in some others. Minus two percent plus or minus is pretty normal for me.

Saul

1 Like

Thanks everyone and Saul.

Saul - was there ever a time in your investing career when you actively managed to a meaningfully higher % of cash across all of your accounts (5%, 10%, 20%) for some significant period of time? If so, when or what stoked that decision and what changed to inspire you to manage to roughly 2% as the norm for you today?

I am new to your Board and still reading through some of your Board memos / old posts so apologies if you’ve answered this before but I think it would be interesting for many of us to hear.

Thanks,
Eric