CDC Guidance on Memorial Day Air Travel

The CDC recommends that you test yourself for COVID as close as possible to departure, and then refrain from flying if infected.

What percent of your fellow passengers are following through on the voluntary testing – 2%, 5%?

And for those that test positive, what percent will cancel their flight and take the hit on the ticket change fee for a later departure date?

intercst
(still avoiding commercial airline travel)

3 Likes

Met a friend from the neighborhood today while walking my dogs.

He said, “Stay on the other side of the road. I’m just recovering from Covid.”

He caught it on a flight from Atlanta. Someone on the plane was coughing. Did my friend mask up?

No.

Wendy

6 Likes

He caught it on a flight from Atlanta. Someone on the plane was coughing. Did my friend mask up?

No.

Wendy

Great, I have two family’s flying in the next while.

Meanwhile, great segue to another topic.

Anyone think large passenger aircraft or Military aircraft will have battery power anytime soon? The first aircraft I served as crew on (CP-107 Argus) total weight when it took off on an 18-24 hour mission was 1/3rd fuel. "Fuel capacity: 6,640 imp gal (30,200 l; 7,970 US gal)"

Anymouse

https://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/jet…

Jet fuel prices at all-time high with 5.3% hike; 10th increase this year

The price of aviation turbine fuel (ATF) was hiked by Rs 6,188.25 per kilolitre, or 5.29 per cent, to Rs 1,23,039.71 per kl (Rs 123 per litre) in the national capital

Topics
Jet Fuel | Aviation fuel | Fuel prices

Press Trust of India | New Delhi
Last Updated at May 17, 2022 01:29 IST

No.

Would your friend have become infected had they masked up? Probably. I can’t understand why, over two years into this mess, people STILL don’t understand that masks aren’t about protecting yourself, but rather limiting the spread of crap being coughed out by those already infected.

Or for those who prefer picture-book explanations about masks and distance: https://i.redd.it/do6l5jodmtw41.jpg

1 Like

And many are asymptomatic, so you wear a mask in case you can spread the disease without knowing it.

2 Likes

Anyone think large passenger aircraft or military aircraft will have battery power anytime soon?

The military needs to be able to refuel in the air. I don’t think that is currently available.

DB2

1 Like

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Anyone think large passenger aircraft or military aircraft will have battery power anytime soon?

The military needs to be able to refuel in the air. I don’t think that is currently available.

DB2

Good point though not all of them can.

Somewhat interesting our Sea Kings could and did HIFR*** from the ships flight deck SPR hose.

*** - Helicopter In Flight Refueling

We would hover over the flight deck, hoist the ships fuel hose up to the back door, hook up to the inlet (my job) then move off to the side of the ship pulling the hose out so we could reduce altitude to help the pumps do their job faster. It was a very vulnerable situation should one of our engines fail.

Mostly it was for training in case of a fouled deck as it was normally faster to land and fuel up on deck with the rotor turning.

Anymouse

https://www.flickr.com/photos/my_public_domain_photos/260895…

2 Likes

A properly fitted 95 mask provides a significant level of protection. You know it is properly fitted if you don’t like it, because when properly fitted it does produce a noticeable but not debilitating effect.

Good chance he caught it not during the flight when the filtering system is going, but during boarding or deboarding – a time when being extremely paranoid and careful can pay off.

david fb
(has airline attendant friends who now have a significant level of empirical experiences)

1 Like

The CDC recommends that you test yourself for COVID as close as possible to departure, and then refrain from flying if infected.

What percent of your fellow passengers are following through on the voluntary testing – 2%, 5%?

And for those that test positive, what percent will cancel their flight and take the hit on the ticket change fee for a later departure date?

intercst
(still avoiding commercial airline travel)

I’m 100% with you, intercst. I’m avoiding travel, because I don’t want to deal with that dilemma.

Would your friend have become infected had they masked up? Probably. I can’t understand why, over two years into this mess, people STILL don’t understand that masks aren’t about protecting yourself, but rather limiting the spread of crap being coughed out by those already infected.

Some masks are better than others, but all minimally should help minimize the viral load you suck in. Lower viral load is better than higher. It’s not an infected/not infected issue. Though not infected is the best goal, lower viral load is a good goal.

IP
only going inside, double masked, when there’s no other option than to be among the maskless

2 Likes

I have been carefully avoiding travel and many restaurants and also some of my less intelligent friends, but did fly one round trip Mexico to Los Angeles to bury Mom after a year of waiting.

And now I will soon be flying to Spain. Husband is contracted with the Malaga Symphony Orchestra to sing the Neruda Songs for a set of concerts, and then to do some Flamenco workshop singing and guitar (he does both) in Granada…death and art are compelling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neruda_Songs

david fb

1 Like

Some masks are better than others, but all minimally should help minimize the viral load you suck in. Lower viral load is better than higher. It’s not an infected/not infected issue.

True, and the illustration I linked does make that distinction. HOWEVER, Wendy is pointing the blame squarely at her friend for not wearing a mask, and that’s been proven incorrect for a very long time now.

3 Likes

And now I will soon be flying to Spain. Husband is contracted with the Malaga Symphony Orchestra…

Wow! Congratulations to DH!

I will never forget this one restaurant in Torremolinos that I went to often while taking intensive language courses at Malaga Instituto. You sat at tables on the beach, eating endless platters of sea food served family style. We would be there for hours, with the tide often coming up under our table. We just sat there, feet on another chair, continuing to eat and drink. Amazing food and my kind of restaurant.

Of course this was decades ago, so unlikely to be there still, unless handed down to a new generation. And I have no clue as to it’s name, if it even had one.

I am very much looking forward to getting back to traveling. My style of travel is more 3 months here, 2 there, rather than a port a day. I prefer to live like a local.

IP

1 Like

Anyone think large passenger aircraft or Military aircraft will have battery power anytime soon?

Nope (provided you keep the “large” designation active - I believe some military drones are already battery powered).

Aircraft have to deal with TWO forms of energy density: energy per unit mass, and energy per unit volume.

And there’s the fact that a plane’s load of jet fuel or avgas gets lighter as the plane travels, but the electric plane’s load of batteries would not.

(Please note, I am not dismissing the possibility that large electric aircraft may happen eventually - just “anytime soon”.)

1 Like