Chocolate made using all the cocoa fruit, not just the beans

I’m somewhat familiar with making chocolate but I don’t know enough about their process to say whether it’s commercially feasible on a large scale, much less small. It’ll be interesting to learn more if they proceed and I appreciate their inventiveness, but I don’t think we’ll see it on store shelves in the near future, if ever.

Chocolate and the Paleo Diet

Timestamp: 31:51

The Captain

1 Like

A Mesoamerican paleo diet timestamp

The Captain

We need to become friends.

Mmmmmm ……chocolate. Double mmmmmmm ……dark chocolate.

1 Like

If you haven’t seen it already, Max Miller has a delightful youtube channel called “Tasting History” where he recreates food from the past. He has a very informative video on Aztec chocolate.

2 Likes

syke6

Thanks! I had not seen this. I will show it to my friend, Vanessa, and enjoy watching her reactions!

d fb

Very good video, @skye6. Thanks for sharing it!

It mentions Bernal Diaz, who accompanied Cortez and wrote a captivating memoir, The Conquest of New Spain. Reading it is like riding along with them; a clash of civilizations, with tragic results. Cortez ultimately decimated the Axtecs, burned their books, and melted their gold artistry into coins and ingots, sent to Spain. Which, in a turn of fate, was spent on any floatable scow for the ill-fated Spanish Armada. What a waste.

Spaniards of the time placed jasmine flowers in with the cacao beans, which absorb flavors as they sit, and the drinking chocolate had a floral note.

There are many recipes for drinking chocolate. Many indigenous people grind cacao with grains, seeds, or nuts to make a more nutritional porridge-like drink.

There’s fascinating living history in foods we may take for granted. Kurlansky did a great book, Salt.

2 Likes