Christian Financial Principles

This makes the Dave Ramsey 8% annual retirement withdrawal look sane.

{{ WEST OLIVE, Mich. — All year, the new conservative Christian majority on the Ottawa County Board of Commissioners had been searching for a way to get rid of Adeline Hambley, who ran the west Michigan county’s health department. It wasn’t as easy as it seemed.

They had discussed firing Hambley, whom they saw as an instrument of government tyranny. But her job came with protections, written into state law, that were intended to insulate her from political influence or retribution.

They had proposed paying Hambley $4 million to leave. She accepted in early November. But the commissioners backed out a few days later when they learned that the payment could damage the county’s bond rating and tank its finances. }}

My bet is that the next COVID-like pandemic in the US kills at least 5 million people, by ignorance and innumeracy.

intercst

12 Likes

…and Polio is starting to show up. POLIO!

david fb

5 Likes

Ottawa County, the Michigan version of the bible belt. They’ve got some great beaches, but so does every other county with frontage on Lake Michigan, no reason for visiting their rigid-thinking County.

5 Likes

Actually, the Bible Belt is a bit inland from the lakeshore.

4 Likes

I’ve been down there quite a few times, seems pretty conservative to me. Also do some kayaking with some folks that live in the section labeled bible belt on your map, these folks are the hardest partiers that I know. They start lighting up as soon as they roll out of bed, no exaggeration. They don’t mind that I don’t do it, and it is pretty entertaining ( and exasperating at times ) watching them try to remember the simplest tasks that need to be done before hitting the river. As a group, they turn a 3 hour east float into about a 7 hour marathon,lol. Myself and other friends who also are not from the area usually end up taking off on our own, as that’s a long stretch of being in the sun.

3 Likes

Sticks in my mind, it was three County Sheriffs in the “Windmill haters” sector that made a big show of refusing to enforce the Gov’s precaution regimen during the plague. But a Sheriff that is even nuttier is the one in Barry County, that was hip deep in election conspiracy theories. Barry County is just north of Kalamazoo/Calhoun counties, and in the Bible Belt. This article mentions the Barry Sheriff, Dar Leaf.

One of my b-school profs lived in Dowagiac in 81. His Congressman was David Stockman, who was appointed to head OMB. I commented to the prof one day, that one of the people running for Stockman’s seat had been on the news. Can’t remember exactly what I said about the guy, but the prof knew who I was talking about. He said “oh, the Na5i?”. A guy came in the RS one day, and started raving to me about “the one worlders”.

Have they tried to convert you to Bible banging hate of difference? If not, they are an aberration. As for self-dissipation, hypocrisy seems to go hand in hand with religious fanaticism.

Steve

3 Likes

"Have they tried to convert you to Bible banging hate of difference? "

no, not at all. It’s camping so there is room to spread out, but there isn’t much religious talk at all, they are nice people from what I know. Definitely religious, but not forcing it on anybody. Don’t know what they’re like when they’re not letting their hair down, but seem to be good people.

1 Like

I live in East Tennessee. “Pretty conservative” is an understatement, but mostly not crazy radical like I find in parts of Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina. Of course get out of the small city where we live and talk to the “country cousins” and yeah, they’re nuts.

1 Like

So 1.5%. Depending on who they are, this might be a good thing.

1 Like

Well, that’s an interesting position to take. A few million here, a few million there, that’s okay – as long as it’s the proper sort that are dying.

DB2

4 Likes

As my (H)umpist neighbor says “thin the herd”.

Steve

3 Likes

If people are volunteering for euthanasia by fighting and ignoring contagious disease precautions, there’s not much you can do about it. But there’s a special place in hell for the religious and political leaders who encourage it, even though they know better.

intercst

18 Likes

Natural selection, maybe?

3 Likes

Hey if it’s a It’s a libertarian free market personal decision so what? Now whether or not it’s “the right people” dying? Why would freedom loving conservatives care? Because they think a Liberal might enjoy it? Again, if that’s the result of people’s decisions it is gospel. What we need is a government program…or perhaps not

3 Likes

Who says they know better? Having authority it is assumed means intelligence. It does not at all. We work damned hard to think one person in particular is intelligent. But most of us did not inherit tens of millions of dollars to paper over sheer stupidity and a complete waste of a life.

Please explicitly define “the proper sort.”

Neuromancer has yet to clarify that.

“Depending on who they are, this might be a good thing.”

DB2

Fine.

Both you and @Neuromancer should define what you mean by those terms. I don’t care who goes first.

I was questioning his willingness – even saying it might be a good thing – to let several million die, “depending on who they are.”

As I wrote (wryly) “Well, that’s an interesting position to take.”

DB2

1 Like

Here I am, thinking that this was about the way Christianity forbids you from making money from interest on loans and from taking a profit off someone you feed.

Much as Islam and Judaism do.

Astonishing how the religions that were doing THAT survived, but the ones that were based on greed did not.

It’s almost as if there were a Darwinian survival thing happening there.